View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
st_pinetree

I use the convert a ball gooseneck adapter. My trailer had one on it since it was new, I've actually removed a couple of panels and crawled around, looked at nooks and crannies with a flash light and a fiber optic camera and all looks A OK to me. It doesn't bother me, I don't think it's going to cause damage to my frame, or it would have already. If it bothers you, or you think otherwise go with what makes you comfortable. Personally, (JMO) I think some folks have had frame problems that would have occured whether GN equipped or not, just some bad frame issues out there. I think the newer extended pin boxes are actually a much bigger change in leverage on the frame components than the GN adapter, and maybe that was part of the reason these issues began to spring up in the last 5-10 years. More short beds, led to manufacturers extending the pinbox, without other frame strengthening issues.

Question to any structural engineers out there. Everyone understands and agrees that the king pin is the top of the lever, but is the bottom of the lever the bottom of the king pin, the fifth wheel plate, or the bed/frame of the truck. Seems to me the forces are being applied from the frame moving forward. The hitch assembly for the fifth wheel is a lever, albeit an A frame shaped one rather than a single arm, is it not?