Thread: Surge Protector
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Bob Landry

While its better than nothing at all, you need to go a step further than just a surge protector, since that's all you are protected against. True, correctly wired and mantained pedestals are unlikely to cause you a problem, you have no way of telling what you are plugging into. There is also the real possibility of open wires, reverse polarity, low voltage, high voltage, etc., in addition to voltage spikes on an otherwise functioning pedestal. Low voltage is a real problem for devices with inductive loads, such as AC compressors and you don't know until it burns up that you had a problem. The cost of an EMS that monitors all of these things and shuts power off to the trailer is cheap insurance relative to replacing all of the electrical/electronic devices in your trailer. While you're thinking about protection, you might also want to consider a Watts water pressure regulator. There's already enough that can go wrong with a trailer without courting disaster.
A RV tech that posts on another forum once said there are two types of people who buyEMS systems. Those who buy before and those who buy after their electronics fry. I think my EMS was around $250 from Lawrence RV and I installed it myself. It's going to get moved to the new Outback as soon as I pick it up.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote