Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2024, 05:35 PM   #1
Bill-2020

In-Command Failing - Changing to Manual Switches

Today was the fifth time the sofa/fridge slide had a problem retracting. I’ve changed the motor (just motor, gearbox seems fine) and I’ve changed the relays on the motherboard in the basement for two other instances where the motor was having problems. Today’s symptom was a slow motor as if the batteries were very low (while plugged into shore power) and it stopped as if I removed my index finger from the touchscreen, about 8 inches from a full retract and closed. Batteries are fine, Check.

I walked outside and looked to make sure nothing was binding. Returning to the control panel I extended the slide back out about a foot or so and then retracted again. This time it was normal speed and normal sounds and it closed as it should.

On the drive today I thought long and hard about changing the slides to manual hardwired switches. Well, not long and hard on “if” but rather the “when” and how I wanted the panel to look. I’ll keep the In-Command running the A/C, heat, awning, lights and other things for now. Those have not given me any trouble at all (yet!). One thing at time, slow and steady as she goes.

The cable slide is an easier rewire. The Schwintec bedroom slide may be another animal in itself to change to a momentary wall switch. I have some research ahead of me on that one.

I’ve read a lot here about in-command problems and hoped I would not be one of those owners who have problems. I suppose as sure as the sun rises in the east, the electronics would begin to show their weakness.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Lippert should have the switch and walk plate for the schwintek.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM   #3
ChuckS

Lippert schwintek OEM install manual… page 22 shows the entire wire scheme with battery, switch , etc

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001397.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:29 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Thank you for this gentlemen. I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:20 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

When I placed my order for a new Cougar recently, I was surprised (dismayed) that the InCommand system had been eliminated. But then I read posts like this and realize that it was a blessing in disguise.

This is the “new” style panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	46442  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:14 AM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
When I placed my order for a new Cougar recently, I was surprised (dismayed) that the InCommand system had been eliminated. But then I read posts like this and realize that it was a blessing in disguise.

I wonder if I can get my hands on an empty panel like that. I’ll have to call Keystone and inquire to see if it’s available through a dealer.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:28 AM   #7
ChuckS

Panel for 2020 Cougar - no name https://www.trekwood.com/products/13...Holder-No-Logo

Panels for 2019 Cougar - many different panels they used.,https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:01 AM   #8
Bill-2020

Try this again…

Bingo! Thanks for the link. I changed the model year to 2024 and there it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	46443  
Old 03-24-2024, 05:04 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:

Rob if you had both to use, you may begin to feel that it takes too much to simply turn on the awning light for example. In your case, it’s still one flick of the blue switch and its on. With In command, you wake up the screen by tapping it, then navigate to the lights screen/menu, then tap on the awning light icon. Now, go outside and do whatever you need. If you forget to turn it off, you have no interior indicator like a lighted switch to tell you it’s still on.

More and more, the In-command is agitating me. I like the idea I can remotely handle things like a/c heat, lights… but reality is I’ve never used that feature. Only the Bluetooth connection while I’m outside has ever come into use. There’s so much that it doesn’t do great, those things out weigh the good things. Now for instance, I think I may have a tank level issue with it. My fresh water is back to empty when it’s not as well as the galley tank showing empty when it’s not. Both tanks have new sensors as well. (Thinking about the SeeLevel system seriously now).

BR,
Bill
Old 03-24-2024, 05:45 PM   #10
GlasNav

Bill: Resistance is Futile, you will be Assimilated by InCommand.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #11
mikec557

Bill, don't get me wrong. If you can do it, then do it. We've had both the traditional manual switches and the incommand. We preferred the manual switches.

But I think the biggest hurdle will be the wires. I could be wrong here (and I hate to start the year off that way) but I think the wire "ends" you need will be in the pass through at the main brain. Yet you'll want those wire ends to be inside the wall, or cabinet sidewall, near the door. Do you have a plan to address that?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 06:59 PM   #12
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Bill, don't get me wrong. If you can do it, then do it. We've had both the traditional manual switches and the incommand. We preferred the manual switches.

But I think the biggest hurdle will be the wires. I could be wrong here (and I hate to start the year off that way) but I think the wire "ends" you need will be in the pass through at the main brain. Yet you'll want those wire ends to be inside the wall, or cabinet sidewall, near the door. Do you have a plan to address that?
Oh, that won’t be an issue. The BCM is in the basement, the incommand wall screen is almost directly above that on the hallway wall at the stairs. At most I’ll have to extend the wires about 6-10 feet. The space inside the wall is a straight shot right down wall to the basement floor behind the divider. The BCM is on that divider closer to the exterior wall. I’ve already run other cables down the inside of that wall for the inverter remote unit and the surge guard display. I have access to correct gauge and color wires that I’ll ever need. The biggest hurdle will be the A/C and a new thermostat, if I do away with in command totally. First are the slides and the awning, the things that keep you from moving the rig. I’ll work on the rest as they come.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:10 PM   #13
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Bill: Resistance is Futile, you will be Assimilated by InCommand.

And now that I’ve corrected what auto-correct got wrong on my post,
The realization of technology going wrong is becoming even more evident as the months go by. Next will be what on a camper, auto rotating a/c vents that evenly cool the spaces they are in? Or perhaps an auto extending hotspot antenna?

I do like the tankless water heater, however. A good number of users here don’t like them.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:33 PM   #14
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Oh, that won’t be an issue. The BCM is in the basement, the incommand wall screen is almost directly above that on the hallway wall at the stairs. At most I’ll have to extend the wires about 6-10 feet. The space inside the wall is a straight shot right down wall to the basement floor behind the divider. The BCM is on that divider closer to the exterior wall. I’ve already run other cables down the inside of that wall for the inverter remote unit and the surge guard display. I have access to correct gauge and color wires that I’ll ever need. The biggest hurdle will be the A/C and a new thermostat, if I do away with in command totally. First are the slides and the awning, the things that keep you from moving the rig. I’ll work on the rest as they come.
That sounds doable. I had a travel trailer in my head and thought it be a tough wiring job.

Keep us posted if you decide to do this project.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:46 AM   #15
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Rob if you had both to use, you may begin to feel that it takes too much to simply turn on the awning light for example. In your case, it’s still one flick of the blue switch and its on. With In command, you wake up the screen by tapping it, then navigate to the lights screen/menu, then tap on the awning light icon. Now, go outside and do whatever you need. If you forget to turn it off, you have no interior indicator like a lighted switch to tell you it’s still on.

More and more, the In-command is agitating me. I like the idea I can remotely handle things like a/c heat, lights… but reality is I’ve never used that feature. Only the Bluetooth connection while I’m outside has ever come into use. There’s so much that it doesn’t do great, those things out weigh the good things. Now for instance, I think I may have a tank level issue with it. My fresh water is back to empty when it’s not as well as the galley tank showing empty when it’s not. Both tanks have new sensors as well. (Thinking about the SeeLevel system seriously now).

BR,
Bill
Bill, thanks for your valuable insight. I am a techie kind of guy, but I think the InCommand is too unstable and unwieldy for my wife and 10 year old. Now having manual switches for the slides, awning, interior and exterior lights, water pump and tank heaters should be a lot more reliable and easy for anyone to manage.

Probably the biggest feature I wanted with InCommand was the remote capability for the HVAC system. Currently I have a Micro-Air EasyTouch thermostat with Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity which does exactly that. Unfortunately it is specific to the AC brand, and so with my current unit a Dometic and the new unit a Furrion, I will have to get a new thermostat, but that will be $265 that I am happy to spend.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:16 PM   #16
NH_Bulldog

A really big ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH today.

Just heard from my dealer that my build has been pushed back ANOTHER month to early/mid June now. It started out as late April (this coming week), then to 2nd week of May but now has been pushed to the back of the line in favor of Keystone building a more popular model. A third of my camping season will be gone by the time they get around to building the thing, and that’s only if they don’t delay it again. So frustrating because we have trips/vacations planned and can’t change things at this point.

I have some calls out to a few dealers that appear to have the unit I want in stock, but they will all have InCommand. Now I have to think long and hard about whether I should wait for a “maybe it will happen” on the build I want, or bite the bullet and “settle” for an existing build now, but one that comes with InCommand
Old 04-20-2024, 01:24 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Just heard from my dealer that my build has been pushed back ANOTHER month to early/mid June now. It started out as late April (this coming week), then to 2nd week of May but now has been pushed to the back of the line in favor of Keystone building a more popular model. A third of my camping season will be gone by the time they get around to building the thing, and that’s only if they don’t delay it again. So frustrating because we have trips/vacations planned and can’t change things at this point.

I have some calls out to a few dealers that appear to have the unit I want in stock, but they will all have InCommand. Now I have to think long and hard about whether I should wait for a “maybe it will happen” on the build I want, or bite the bullet and “settle” for an existing build now, but one that comes with InCommand

Rob, maybe take your current trailer on the scheduled trips until they get the new one to you? I think that's what I'd do before I ever thought of having In Command in a trailer I owned. It offers nothing that I want or don't have since I have the Micro Air smart thermostat. Just a thought but the quantity of posts about all kinds of issues with In Command would steer me away from it. I know you're anxious to get it and put it to use but having to deal with In Command would be a huge deterrent IMO. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:30 PM   #18
mikec557

Quote:

Now I have to think long and hard about whether I should wait for a “maybe it will happen” on the build I want, or bite the bullet and “settle” for an existing build now, but one that comes with InCommand
You know everyone has an opinion, and only you can ultimately decide. But... I wouldn't have to think "long". Bite the bullet and wait for your non-incommand RV order.

Signed
I'm Rarely Wrong (but don't ask my wife about this point...) LOL
Old 04-20-2024, 01:48 PM   #19
NH_Bulldog

I found another unit that I am waiting on a call back on. A newer build without InCommand but with only the base level SolarFlex 220 and a single AC
Old 04-20-2024, 02:50 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

You could ask them to install the 2nd A/C before pickup and either upgrade the solar later or have them do it when they install the A/C. They might work with you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote