Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Shadowcats

100 Watt Solar

Installed a "Windynation," complete 100 Watt solar panel kit on my 2014 Bullet 310. The kit comes with the solar panel, charge controller, connectors, and mounting brackets. I mounted it center front, ran conduit from panel down to the front storage area where I mounted my controller...from there to the batteries. The panel puts out between 19 and 27 volts - depending on the sun...output to the batteries is a constant 13 volts. It even has an aux if wanted. Installation was easy, just took time running the wires and securing them. Now, if dry camping I have a constant source of power to my batteries...and it's free! Bought the kit off Amazon - under $150 - also Windynation has wonderful customer service. Had a smaller unit on my old RV and it kept the batteries up all winter too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar1.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	7366   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	7367   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar3.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	7368  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Williston324

Looks good. We're only going to do one five day dry camp next year and this might be an inexpensive option to consider. Your conduit is what I used to run my camera cable down the back of our fifth last year. It's still holding strong.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Bluewater

Great that these solar panels have come way down in price in the last few years..plus they are better I hear. I bought ours 4 years ago and now they are 1/2 what I paid. Good news all the way around. Enjoy
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
grewen

is that silicon we can see on the roof?
grewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Shadowcats

Yup, after the install I sealed all the brackets and screws, much like the factory does. Just wanted to be sure everything was tight with no chance of leaks. The conduit is self stick, but used sealer on the connectors and the ends where the wire goes in. Seems to work pretty well.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

The manufacturers of EPDM rubber roof systems do not recommend that you use silicone or any other product that contains petroleum distillates as a sealant or cleaner. Both are potentially harmful to the rubber and silicone does not adhere well.

Later, if you have to re caulk or reseal the screws and fasteners on the solar panel, nothing will adhere to the silicone - even silicone - so in the end you will have to remove it when resealing.

Dicor rubber roof sealant is compatible with EPDM rubber roof and is a product that is widely used on the roof - both self-leveling and regular.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Shadowcats

Thanks for the heads up...I will certainly look into the roof sealer instead.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Andymon

How did you attach it to the roof? And, did the wind defector come with the kit?

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
SmittysRV

I like this set up, just wish there was a cleaner route to the storage other than on the outside of the coach.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Yosemitebob

Actually there is. You can go though the roof into a cabinet and find your way down from there. I went down right over where the entertainment system is, through the roof, into the upper cabinet and then down the corner till I got down to the bottom where it went there through the bottom of the trailer into the basement along with the controller. It was only about 10 feet. You an purchase any number of styles of plugs to have on the top of the roof for hook up to the panels. You rantenna has one type you can look at if you decide to use the boot instead of a coupler. If you know someone with a Lance Camper, you can check out how it was done there, I used to have one and that is where I got the idea. After the plug is installed, add the Dicor and you are good to go even if you have to change out the panel for some reason or add another.

This is one of the first things I did, and I had my camera out, but I never used it

Had to come back to this post to say, don't use a twist drill on the EPDM roof, or any type of rubber roof. You need a hole cuter if not a hole cutter, razor knife the rubber before drilling through, and vacuum the cut hole and between the rubber and plywood really well so you don't end up with cut material between. It needs to be very clean for a good seal.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Shadowcats

There is four brackets that come with the unit...used some coated lag bolts, managed to hit one of the cross members...even the others seem pretty tight. The deflector that everyone likes was my idea, used a large floor furnace deflector...extended it to length...used super glue on the center, removed the magnets and screwed it into the roof. It was a work in progress, but I'm real happy with the way it turned out.