Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
ncinthenext3

Gas/electric Hot water heater

Hello,

I have a new Premier 31BHPR and have so far been out on 2 trips. On my previous trailer, I only had propane option to heat the water. On this new unit, I can do both or either (I believe).

I have had it out twice now. On the first trip, I threw both the propane switch and the electric switch, as a friend I was camping with said it's more efficient/economical. I never gave it a second thought. When poking around when I got home, as I'm still trying to get to know the trailer I opened the panel and noticed the breaker for the HWH was tripped. I didn't want to test it out, as I was in my driveway and not on a 30A site and wasn't sure what the power demand was.

So, I figured I'd try it again next trip and low and behold not only did it trip the HWH breaker but it took the main down as well. Now I probably had everything on, 2 refrigerators, 3 tvs, AC lights and stereo and a fan but this seems odd. There have been no issues running anything else anywhere.

Is it that I can't have both propane AND electric on at the same time, or am I looking at a potential electrical issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Overall this has been a great unit and I've found very few issues thus far but obviously this is a great concern since the family is on board.

Thanks!
ncinthenext3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinthenext3 View Post
Now I probably had everything on, 2 refrigerators, 3 tvs, AC lights and stereo and a fan but this seems odd. There have been no issues running anything else anywhere.

Thanks!
Sounds like more than 30 amps.

I'd try to isolate the water heater by leaving most other electrical items off and see if it pops then. If so, then there is an electrical issue. If not, then start turning other things on and see what throws the breaker. But 2 fridges, AC, 3 tv's and probably the converter charging batteries sounds like a lot of power draw to me.

If I'm running the AC, I don't use the electric side on the water heater and just use propane.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
dirt33

Anytime our A/C is running, I have both the fridge and HWH (if needed) on propane as a rule. With our TT, if the HWH is on electric and the A/C needs to run, it WILL trip the main breaker. So, anymore, I never even turn the HWH on electric at all. I just use it on propane, and even then it only gets turned on in the mornings for showers, and also if I know we will need to be washing any dishes soon.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
{tpc}

What seems odd to me is that you would think the larger units would be designed to handle more, but apparently they are not.

Mine is smaller, not a fifth wheel, and I've never tried to run the propane and electric at the same time on the water heater. But I have run the fridge, ac, electric wh, tv, radio, microwave, fans, lights, converter, etc all at the same time and never had any trouble with any of the breakers in the TT or on the pole.

Now we only have one ac, one fridge and one tv, so maybe that is the difference. To me though, you would think if they put it all in there, its meant to be able to work all at the same time. Maybe thats not the proper way to think, but its the first way that comes to mind.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
What seems odd to me is that you would think the larger units would be designed to handle more, but apparently they are not.
Most larger units have 50 amp service.

If I am going to run the MW, I turn the AC off. Ran 2 weeks with the fridge on electric and had no issues when the AC ran. I did notice the voltage dropped when I used the toaster, but not enough to bother to shut off the AC.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
ncinthenext3

First of all thanks to all of you for the replies. I should mention that the unit came with 2 fridges, and 2 tvs. The only 'extra' load was another small LCD tv and a fan. The 2nd fridge is a smaller dorm style fridge that comes in the outdoor kitchen. Everything else that was on in the trailer was standard equipment. I like the isolating idea - I think I'll be safe doing that in the driveway no AC of course on household current. Maybe it was because the campground was full and it was very hot out and everyone was running their AC - hard to say. I would certainly hope it's not that easy to over-demand power from that panel.. That should NOT be a concern. By the way, do any of you completely empty your HWH after every trip? I hear that might be a good idea to preserve the electrical element inside the unit.

Thanks again!
ncinthenext3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinthenext3 View Post
By the way, do any of you completely empty your HWH after every trip? I hear that might be a good idea to preserve the electrical element inside the unit.

Thanks again!
I've never emptied the HW tank after each trip and have never had any issues with the heating element. I know some people do empty it but I would be concerned that, if I do empty it, and forget to turn the electricity off at the tank and then plug in the unit to shore power, then I will fry my heating element. Done it once. Trying not to do it again.

I've never heard comments about "preserving the electrical element" as a reason. Perhaps people are concerned about heavy concentrations of minerals in the water sitting in the tank for long periods reacting with the element????