Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
GmaPaTime

Fresh Water Tank ??

In the process of planning out my winterization method on our new 5er and setting up the pump converter (which by the way is not needed with the new Flojet pumps with Quad ports), I started also thinking about an easier way to sterilize the fresh water tank. Because these pumps allow easy disconnect fittings, would it be possible to take the inlet side line and insert into the outlet side and then pump the chlorine mix into the tank. What I'm not sure of is if there is any type of reverse flow restrictor between the tank and pump?
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
BulletOwner1

Forgive me but I'm not sure I see the advantage you are working toward. Seems to me that getting a funnel and pouring the solution into the tank inlet would be simpler than monkeying with your pump plumbing.

I will admit to not knowing your particular setup so if I'm off base I'll understand....
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If you are going to sanitize the system, might as well add bleach to tank and then pump it through the entire system .... let it sit .. (I wait over-night but I don't think that's needed) .. Then I blow out the entire system .. add antifreeze through pump and
tuck everything in for winter.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
GmaPaTime

Trying to avoid the open exposure and potential spilling of chlorine while pouring into a funnel. Connections and disconnections would be quick and easy and I'd be able to draw directly out of a one gallon jug with the pump. You might be right, just trying to think of another way.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
GmaPaTime

@hankpage... Not trying to do both sanitizing and winterization. Only thinking that when I do need to sanitize the system, I could use the pump to draw bleach mix into the tank. With these "Quad Fittings", process for me would be quick and easy. What I'm not sure of is does the line from the tank to the pump have any restrictive devise that prevents a reverse flow of water?
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
@hankpage... Not trying to do both sanitizing and winterization. Only thinking that when I do need to sanitize the system, I could use the pump to draw bleach mix into the tank. With these "Quad Fittings", process for me would be quick and easy. What I'm not sure of is does the line from the tank to the pump have any restrictive devise that prevents a reverse flow of water?
I doubt very much that there would be a check valve there. That valve is usually in the pump. But one gallon of bleach mixture is not going to sanitize very much of the tank or FW system. I would rather pour 1/2 cup of bleach into a funnel outside my trailer then to connect and reconnect hoses containing the bleach mixture inside the confined spaces of a trailer. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The "INLET" to the pump draws "FROM" the tank. Disconnecting that fitting and using it to draw chlorine (or antifreeze) will not push it into the tank, it will push it into the water supply lines. To sanitize the tank, you'd need to push the chlorine mixture the opposite direction from what the pump is doing.

Also, if you have the chlorine mixture in a gallon jug, it would be a significantly strong mixture. That strength chlorine, if even a drop should get dripped onto your carpet or linoleum would cause damage that you couldn't repair.

I'd strongly suggest not dragging any chlorine mixture in or around the interior of the camper, you're asking for "bleach damage" if it spills. As Hankpage suggested, much better to keep that outside, use a funnel, pour it into the fresh water tank fill spout and then use the pump to distribute it throughout the camper water system. You are going to end up wanting it in all the components anyway, might as well start at the "fountain head" rather than start in the middle and push it backwards so you can push it forward.

Just my thoughts, I wouldn't even consider a strong bleach solution sitting in an open container, expecially a gallon jug full of it in my camper waiting for an accident to happen !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
GmaPaTime

Point well taken "hankpage". Just to clarify what my thought was, 1cup of bleach and water in a one gallon jug to be pumped into tank and then filled (58 gal). Also, on my 5er, pump is accessed through the basement compartment door next to the hot water heater. No need to enter trailer with bleach. All that said, you're more then likely right.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
GmaPaTime

John... I was going to pop the inlet port on pump from the tank and insert into outlet port then use inlet port to draw bleach mixer into tank. As mentioned prior, with my pump location, I can access from outside of trailer.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
instymp

I think the purpose of adding the diluted bleach to the fresh tank & running that through the system is that it sanitizes the system and the fresh water tank also.
Something to do at the beginning of next season usually, not before winterizing, and don't forget to flush the system after treating with the bleach & draining.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
GmaPaTime

Reason for doing now is unit is new and we'll be taking it out a few times before winterizing.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

I, too, wouldn't recommend drawing a bleach/chlorine solution into the FW and/or the FW lines by the method that you outlined. It is far easier and also safer to simply pour a cupful or so into a funnel and into your FW tank. You can then use this mixed solution of chlorine and water to sanitize the tank by letting it sit for a period of time and then follow that up by turning your pump on and circulating the mixed solution through your water lines.

If you are going to winterize your RV after you have done this by using the pink stuff then it doesn't make much sense to sanitize your water lines and then have RV antifreeze sitting in them over the winter. Why sanitize first?

If you are going to blow your lines out, then that is a different matter.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
GmaPaTime

Thanks all for your responses. I'll take all's advise and do the funnel method.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that chlorine in strong solution will make plastic brittle. Running chlorine through the water pump head may damage it. There's a reason the factory recommends a specific sequence to do tasks and a reason that most of us do them that way with is a few personalizations to make it easier for our "style" but I'd be cautious about running strong chlorine through the pump. That is unless you've got an extra hundred bucks you just don't have any other use for.... In that case, you can order a new water pump from CW or just stop by and buy a replacement so it's handy when your current one stops pumping sometime in the future, about the same time you start getting little chunks of white plastic in the cold water faucet when you turn it on to get a drink.

If you do use the funnel method, dilute your chlorine, pour it into the fill port and follow it with enough water to flush the chlorine off of the plastic tubing that runs to the water tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
GmaPaTime

Gotcha John... Thanks again
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI