Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
mikell

Oops!!

Think this is my fault not the weathers. Windchill -14 yesterday moening and for some reason I checked the tank monitor and I see that the greywater is full??????? Frozen line must be. It's 5 AM and I'm not crawling under to investigate.

Came home early and it's up to -7 windchill so I get 3-4 sets of everything on and head out to check the drains. Humm not frozen but on further review I realize the comoplast is 1/2 on the ground??? and I have giant ice stalactites hanging from the valve.

I recall a possible wet mark on the bottom this summer but it was dry then so I think it was dripping for a while and just running out but the cold weather caused it to ice up and drop the giant iceburg along with the commoplast.

So I didn't worry about the leak because it's getting dark I pulled the commoplast out and took into the shop to dry and put 4 layers of foil bubble wrap under the area and held it up with plywood and 2x4's till I can get a proper repair. I think there might have been a leak from either the stool or sink but it was too windy for a closer look.

More as the saga continues.

On a plus side the 2 tank valves both had a furnace line on them to keep them from freezing. The grey water valve is dripping pretty bad but it looks like it's been doing it a while.

I don't really have a plan of attack yet except to hope the wind stops for a day
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
crash

thats cold hopefully the temps will come up some and the winds will die down some soon for you.Good luck.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
mikell

The grey tank valve is leaking SOMEWHERE and it appears there's a drip from the line going to the toilet. The leaks aren't that big for now I'll need a full day or 2 to take care of it and with working 7 days and then the holidays It'll be close to the new year before it's repaired but still the plywood will be up for the winter till it's warm enough for the tape to stick.

I have a endoscope camera I use to inspect boilers that I'm going to get up in and have a look when the wind dies down but it's another 25 mph day
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
mikell

Finally got a chance to really have a look and the Surburban water heater gave out and the more I prodded and poked the worse it got. So the waters off and a new one from PPL on order and will be here Monday which is fine because were gone all weekend anyway. chopped the ice out of the way so everything can dry. On the down side it's 40 out today and back down to the mid 20's by Monday
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Finally got a chance to really have a look and the Surburban water heater gave out and the more I prodded and poked the worse it got. So the waters off and a new one from PPL on order and will be here Monday which is fine because were gone all weekend anyway. chopped the ice out of the way so everything can dry. On the down side it's 40 out today and back down to the mid 20's by Monday
Ouch!!!!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
mikell

New water heater came in late yesterday and am in the process of installing it. Pretty easy probably would take less than an hour if you knew what you were doing. Old one may have been leaking for a while it appears it had a bad weld and may have been dripping into the Styrofoam case and rusted the hole bigger and bigger.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
mikell

Installation was simple.

Unhook water lines from basement

shut off gas and unhook from valve

remove 4 long screws from outside trim ring and 2 from heater and slide out

5 wires plenty long and all color coded the same as the new

AHHHH Hot water