Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Streetrail

Power outage/battery issues?

I have a 2010 Laredo 5thwheel..

We were dry camping over the weekend, battery ended up going just about dead, had to jump it, just to get my slides in. We drove three hours back to the house. Plugged it in, everything was working. For some reason last night, I went out to the camper and the refrig was off, radio dash was off and the lights were basically dimming ( assuming from running off the battery). The TV and Microwave were on.

Have to had to replace a circuit breaker by the battery a few months back. SO had another laying around and put that in tonight. Same thing.. so I jumped the battery.. everything was working, but I see the battery was not holding and the same thing happened again..

so would replacing the battery be the right choice or is there blown fuse somethere?

Sorry for the rambling..!!!

Mike

I am a newbie!! be gentle!!!
Streetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
bobbecky

Do you have a battery disconnect switch somewhere on your rig? It will be a strange red plastic key that is supposed to open the connection to the battery. If there is one, regardless of how it is labelled, turn it to the other position. Sometimes the label says on, which can be open or closed, and off, either way also. If that doesn't work, check the reverse polarity fuses in the converter. Not sure what size converter you have, but there could be two, three, or four fuses together in one corner, that if blown, can cause the battery to not get charged. It's also possible your converter has failed, but go with the easy things first.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Streetrail

Don't believe or have seen a battery disconnect. Still am wondering if the battery from being drained at really low at least three times in a year. If that grenade the battery and it can't hold a charge?
Streetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
pjhansman

How old is the battery? Is it the original Type 24 that came with the 5ver?

If so, it may need replacing. if you do, I'd suggest going to at least a Type 27 battery. It should fit in the same box and will hold a charge much longer.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
How old is the battery? Is it the original Type 24 that came with the 5ver?

If so, it may need replacing. if you do, I'd suggest going to at least a Type 27 battery. It should fit in the same box and will hold a charge much longer.
I did that on my fiver with a Costco Grp 27. I dry camped for 3 days in the Grand Tetons (LED lights and light furnace use) and still had juice for the 2 slides, rear stabilizer and landing gear. If your converter is bad, I just replaced my WFCO 8955 with a PowerMax PM4B 55 watt converter direct replacement board and it seems to be a much better converter/charger.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondoc...955_c_196.html