Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
gearhead

Ford F350

We bought the F350 a few months ago. We're towing with it for the first time. What a difference over the GMC 2500 gasser. No more constant shifting and screaming engine. Granted the Cougar X Lite isn't heavy, but this is so much more enjoyable. Getting 11.5 mpg running on cruise control at usually 2-4 mph under the speed limit, unless the limit is 55 or 60.
But dang that Motorcraft cetane booster stinks. Get it on your hands and it stays forever.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Javi

Yep it do stink a bit... I buy mine in a gallon can and pour it up into some of my old bottles. I use 8 ounces to a fill up (usually around 30 gallons)

It's easier to keep it off my hands at fill-up using the smaller bottles and they store nicely in my toolbox.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
denverpilot

Diesels do haul nice don't they?

Keep in mind, if you're running the "speed limit". The normal ST tires on the trailer are typically only rated to 62 MPH.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
gearhead

I need to find some good plastic containers to store cetane in. Seems once I break the seal it leaks.
My Maxxis tires are rated at 65. I push it to 68 at the most. I'm up a load rating from OEM. That was the first thing I bought when I brought the new trailer home.
Yeah, I understand now why the diesels are so popular.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I need to find some good plastic containers to store cetane in. Seems once I break the seal it leaks.
My Maxxis tires are rated at 65. I push it to 68 at the most. I'm up a load rating from OEM. That was the first thing I bought when I brought the new trailer home.
Yeah, I understand now why the diesels are so popular.

Cool on the tires...

Our TV is "ancient" by many's standards, being it's a 2001 Dodge 3500, but I just love watching the diesel just chug along, not even breathing hard pulling the 5er.

Weather is starting to look like Spring now, so excited to take her out!

Don't have any thoughts on the cetane containers other than my chosen additive happens to come available in bottles the right size for a full tank of fuel and someone offers them on Amazon with Prime... Sounds like your packaging is different for the Ford stuff.

I just keep the case in the garage and grab a couple bottles when I've used a couple from the toolbox. It's available slightly cheaper in bigger bottles, but for the $5 difference online, I decided on the individual bottles.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Javi

We buy 8 ounce plastic bottles with screw caps for samples of our waste water at work. I picked up an extra dozen for $10 if I remember right..
Old 04-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
gearhead

I guess I'll use the disposable gloves until I get back home. This smoky mountain water doesn't lather up soap very good. Hand sanitizer don't help either!
I got a lot to complain about don't I?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Hoojs12840

Cetane booster? Is this required for Fords or is it an additive like STP is for gasoline?
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
gearhead

It's not required. It's an additive that helps combustion. Like octane it is a chemical that is used as an index.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
Hoojs12840

For it now.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
Cetane booster? Is this required for Fords or is it an additive like STP is for gasoline?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
It's not required. It's an additive that helps combustion. Like octane it is a chemical that is used as an index.
I'm using the Ford/Motorcraft PM-22 and around here it is almost mandatory.

The fuel in Texas is pretty much all some level of Bio between 5% and 20% so you never know if there is enough cetane to make the motor run.

When I first bought my '12 I filled up at the same station I'd been using for years as they have plenty of volume to keep the tanks clean. I never really noticed anything for a couple of tanks then I filled up at another station on the other side of the state and the motor was quieter and ran much better. That set me to researching the WHY....
That lead me to cetane levels, lubricity of fuel and that lead me to PM-22
I've never been one to use additives but I took the plunge and tried a couple of bottles...

Man what a difference, fuel mileage went up using the local fuel and the engine ran a good bit quieter. I was sold..

Sure, sometimes I get good fuel with a sufficient amount of cetane, but the PM-22 is also a lubricant for the fuel pump and the less bio in the fuel the dryer the fuel.