Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
cabinfever

No Battery!

Had our TT at the dealer for some minor warranty work in December. While there I stopped to get my drill out of it and found they did not turn a light off and the battery was dead. I told the service rep I thought it was a good idea to get it charged so it did not freeze, he agreed. When I picked the TT up the battery was dead and I was a little ticked they did not charge the battery. Fast forward to yesterday and I went to check the fluid in the battery only to find they never put the battery back in!! Called them today and the service manager said he will check into it Monday. I did put the slides out and then back in one time. That could have junked the convertor.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Had our TT at the dealer for some minor warranty work in December. While there I stopped to get my drill out of it and found they did not turn a light off and the battery was dead. I told the service rep I thought it was a good idea to get it charged so it did not freeze, he agreed. When I picked the TT up the battery was dead and I was a little ticked they did not charge the battery. Fast forward to yesterday and I went to check the fluid in the battery only to find they never put the battery back in!! Called them today and the service manager said he will check into it Monday. I did put the slides out and then back in one time. That could have junked the convertor.
Sorry to hear about what happen to you, sounds normal for todays workforce, you told him to get the battery charged and nothing else thereby, leaving it up the him to figure out what to do with it after that. So we have a charged battery probably sitting near or on the charger in the shop. Unless some other genius came along looking for a battery

These RV shops remind me of housing units being build, "Got to get this unit out, need a part, get it from one of the other units"

Why would you think you smoked your converter, I would think it could handle the slides. No different than if someone forgot and left their battery bypass switch off (battery disconnected) and opened/closed their slides.

Hope you get a new battery out of this
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
cabinfever

Have read running the slides without a battery or fully charged one can put excessive load on the convertor and burn it up. Asked about this when I called the dealer yesterday. Was worried I even "took some life" from the convertor doing so. Was told as long as it still working all is good, but DO NOT run the slides without the batter again.

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Bob Landry

The KS Owners manual states that the battery needs to ne installed for slide operation. Probably because the slide motors are high current draw, and could damage the smaller converters. The battery is actually providing current for the slide motors.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The KS Owners manual states that the battery needs to ne installed for slide operation. Probably because the slide motors are high current draw, and could damage the smaller converters. The battery is actually providing current for the slide motors.
Happy Easter to all !!!

I was thinking all slides were hydraulic like on mine or if slides driven from electric motors these converters are pretty big.

Bob in a previous post thought your converter was 30 or 50 AMP on a original 30 AMP service. On the Raptor think it is a 100 AMP converter 68100. Still trying to make component list for my rig and download manuals for them. Can not read original build listing.

cabinfever, hope you get this resolved like maybe new battery(s).

Thanks for the information/update

Finally getting warm enough around here, started to de-winterize yesterday, So far looking good no damage from this winter. Just drying to crawl into the basement area to see what that looks like

Enjoy

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
GaryWT

I hope you get your battery or a new one without any problems. I can see where you would be worried since it is stated not to operate slide without battery. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
cabinfever

Dealer called today. They found an unmarked battery that had been in the battery charge area for a while! at least I have it back and the convertor seems ok after running things without the battery.

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
GaryWT

That's good news, hope it stays ok.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
wbatto

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger

I took my fuzion in for warranty work last fall, I told them the battery disconnect wasn't working and the battery was going dead sooooo please be aware that the battery might freze and bust. Fast forward to two weeks ago, went to pickup my camper and the battery was dead as a stone but not busted. The dealer said it was working a week ago and Warranties don't cover batteries but they would sell me one at cost. Since the battery wasn't busted I told them to take a hike and give me one for free or find out why it was dead. After a long argument I left with a dead battery as they were the last people on the face of the earth I would buy a battery from at this point. I traveled 3 hours to get to my camp site and my battery was charged 100%. After checking my camper out I found the cubby light was on and that was what ran the battery down. Glad I didn't give them $70.00 for a new one!!!!
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatto View Post
I took my fuzion in for warranty work last fall, I told them the battery disconnect wasn't working and the battery was going dead sooooo please be aware that the battery might freze and bust. Fast forward to two weeks ago, went to pickup my camper and the battery was dead as a stone but not busted. The dealer said it was working a week ago and Warranties don't cover batteries but they would sell me one at cost. Since the battery wasn't busted I told them to take a hike and give me one for free or find out why it was dead. After a long argument I left with a dead battery as they were the last people on the face of the earth I would buy a battery from at this point. I traveled 3 hours to get to my camp site and my battery was charged 100%. After checking my camper out I found the cubby light was on and that was what ran the battery down. Glad I didn't give them $70.00 for a new one!!!!
Question: you started with a possible battery disconnect issues to be looked by dealer what was the problem there?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
wbatto

Battery Disconnect Problem

I had a whole list of items which needed fixed. The problem with the disconnect was the fuse was blown. I notiaced it was not working the day I took it to the dealer for warranty work as it wouldn't click when pushed. Turns out the fuse holder is behind the cubby wall and you have to remove it to change the fuze. One thing I can say is they did fix everything that was on the list.
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote