Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #21
jje1960

While not carrying a Harley... We have loaded our golf cart both ways, hooked and unhooked. As another poster stated, sometimes it makes it easier to use the front legs to raise the angle and decrease the ramp angle.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #22
Wing-in-it

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
I agree with all of the above. I have the Condor wheel chock and really like it. It is very well built. It helps tremendously when loading the bike because it can support the bike while you get off and finish securing the bike with straps. The chock is adjustable to different wheel sizes which makes it easy to remove the bike when secured in the chock. Yes I am a fan.

I also agree with using the clutch method described above. My first attempt at loading my Goldwing into my TH was almost a disaster! My TH does not have a dovetail in the loading area that reduces the ramp angle into the trailer. I parked the TH on a level surface and proceeded to load my bike into the trailer when the bike high centered on the transition from the ramp into the trailer!!! The edge of the ramp caught the louvers on my bikes belly pan and I was temporarily stuck halfway in/out at the top of the ramp. I had to muscle the bike loose. When I did I slid down the ramp backwards with my front brakes locked! Luckily I came straight down and didn't have time to panic or think. The bike stopped at the bottom of the ramp, no harm other than some bent louvers on the bikes belly pan.

The next time I loaded and unloaded I did several things differently. Your situation may be different if your trailer has the dovetail in the cargo area. Mine does not so to reduce the angle of the transition from the ramp into the cargo area:
1. I unhitched the trailer and raised the tongue to the highest position.
2. I lowered the stabilizing jacks at the rear of the trailer.
3. I used car ramps and a piece of plywood at the end of the ramp.

This worked for me. I would like a better solution than the car ramps and plywood, maybe a hinged ramp extension, but I'm not a welder.

Hope this helps you out.

Curtis
Curtis, I noticed in your pictures you secured your Wing by the back crash bars. It is suggested NOT to do that, I'd removed the side covers and secure to the frame instead.

From a fellow Goldwinger....

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
Curtis, I noticed in your pictures you secured your Wing by the back crash bars. It is suggested NOT to do that, I'd removed the side covers and secure to the frame instead.

From a fellow Goldwinger....

Mark

Thanks for the warning Mark. I have heard that, but have never seen anything from Honda that sates that. If you have, please share.

I have a pdf of the Honda GL1800 Setup instructions that show how to unpack and setup a new bike. The instructions show how the bike is packaged in the crate and it is secured by ratchet straps on both front and rear crash bars.

I started by strapping to the frame, but removing the side covers and figuring out where to store them without damage was a pain, IMO. So when I found the setup instructions I started using the rear crash bars to secure the bike. I could be wrong, it has happened before, LOL.

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #24
Wing-in-it

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Thanks for the warning Mark. I have heard that, but have never seen anything from Honda that sates that. If you have, please share.

I have a pdf of the Honda GL1800 Setup instructions that show how to unpack and setup a new bike. The instructions show how the bike is packaged in the crate and it is secured by ratchet straps on both front and rear crash bars.

I started by strapping to the frame, but removing the side covers and figuring out where to store them without damage was a pain, IMO. So when I found the setup instructions I started using the rear crash bars to secure the bike. I could be wrong, it has happened before, LOL.

Curtis
Curtis,

Mother Honda say's so, they say that eventually it will weaken the bars. It's in the owners manual.
Here's a link to help with trailering. I hope this helps....

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
Chesterfield, VA.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #25
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
Curtis,

Mother Honda say's so, they say that eventually it will weaken the bars. It's in the owners manual.
Here's a link to help with trailering. I hope this helps....

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

Mark
Mark,

Ok, so I pulled out my 2008 manual. I had looked before, but because of your statement I looked again. I again did not find any guidance "in the manual" on how or where to locate the tie downs. I also found no mention of "weakening the bars". If you can provide a page reference from the manual or a link from "Mother Honda" that substantiates your claim I would be grateful.

I cannot attach the Honda GL1800 setup instructions pdf because it is too large. Here is a link: http://www.gl1800riders.com/Honda%20GL18005%20Setup.pdf

Page 1 clearly shows the bike secured by the crash guards in a document by "Mother Honda". I believe that Honda engineers evaluated the best method to transport the bike to ensure that it arrives at the destination without damage. There are a lot of personal opinions out there and they can vary greatly in how to secure the bike. I would rely on personal opinion if I could not find any guidance from the manufacturer.

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #26
Wing-in-it

Curtis,

I have never seen that link you posted & I am a member of the GL1800's Forum.

As for where I've read about the proper mounting points (I too pulled out my manual) I couldn't find it there as well....It's been so long since this subject has come up, I have no idea where I read it.

I guess from reading hundreds of threads on this subject, I came to a conclusion that it was NOT the proper way to trailer your wing. To each his own I reckon.

Be safe.

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
Chesterfield, VA.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #27
Nailz

Hey Marc, no worries.

I appreciate your helpful advice. This is what is so great about these forums. Members taking the time to help someone by sharing their knowledge. I have learned a tremendous amount here and on the GL1800 forum, I'm "RocketCity RedWing" on the GL1800 Riders forum.

I'm grateful that we have these problems, it could be worse and we have neither an RV or a motorcycle!

Hope to see you on the road or in a campground sometime.

Take care,

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #28
Jeff and Rita

We just purchased a Fuzion 310. I had been thinking about what issues may arise when I go to load and unload my FLHTK. I want to get this straight so that I don't misunderstand. When loading your Bike it will bottom out at the transition from ramp to garage ? I have owned a Haulmark motorcycle trailer and this seems crazy. Also I was thinking when I go to unload was to stand beside and walk it down using my front brakes..... It sounds like this would be a bad idea from the resent posts that I have read. I did notice it if the trailer is attached to the truck that the Ramp angle is shorter that if it was unloaded from the truck and leveled out. The thought of backing it down backwards in gear using both brakes and clutch sounds inevitable that something bad is going to happen especially when you get to the Bottom of the ramp. I have been riding Bikes for years and this just seems like you are playing Russian Roulette with yourself and your Bike.
Jeff and Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #29
Nailz

Hi Jeff & Rita,

I certainly don't claim to be an expert in these matters. On my trailer, yes, the bike bottoms out on the transition of the ramp into the trailer. I think this is a combination of trailer height and ramp length.

I have not owned a Haulmark trailer but did own an Interstate. My Interstate sat lower to the ground, like a foot off the ground. I didn't have any trouble loading, unloading or problems with the transition from the ramp into the trailer.

I looked at some photos of the trailer you have and the ramp looks long (which is good). Also it looks as though you may have a dovetail at the beginning of the garage area (mine does not). Both of these things may result in you not having any trouble with the transition of the ramp into the trailer when loading your bike.

Loading and unloading method depends a lot on what you are comfortable with, the trailer/ramp and the size of bike. I agree with you that there is a split second when unloading my bike at the base of the ramp that I cannot touch the ground while sitting on the bike. I accept this risk because, to be honest, walking beside the Goldwing does not feel safe for me even on level ground. I think it is a combination of the shape of the Goldwing, bike weight and my height. When I try to lean the bike against me, when moving it, it hits me in the thigh area. Also the foot pegs, crash bars and fairing/trunks hit my legs. Maybe I just need more practice.

I have had the bike slide on the ramp surface when backing down the ramp even with the front brake locked up (1st time when the bike snagged at the top of the ramp and I was trying to free it). Normally I take it very slow and use my legs as outriggers and I do not have any problems after making some changes to reduce the ramp angle.

Whatever/however you load and unload your bike do some practice runs with some help nearby to work out your method.

Hope this helps,

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #30
Jeff and Rita

Thank You for your input.... I will let you know how it goes....
Old 04-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
MBD

I ride my FLHX into my Fuzion 342 and walk it down backwards (not sitting on the bike). Did the same thing with my Fuzion 260. The bike never slipped, I could see me slipping if I was wearing flip flops or crocs-but my rule is to always wear footwear that is attached securely to my feet when doing anything with the bike. The non-slip surface on the ramps has provided enough traction/friction everytime (even when wet). I will only load/unload when the trailer is hooked to the tow vehicle. No issues with ramp angle as long as the trailer is reasonably level. While I like the idea of a chock for the front wheel, I did not install one on either of my TH. Beyond the difficulty of installing correctly in relation to water/waste tanks and other components, I did not find a mounting system that I trusted that would be out of the way when the garage was empty and used for living space. So far, so good; several trips and several thousand miles with no issues related to the absence of a front wheel chock.

My difficulties have always been related to where to attach tie down straps. I must not have spent enough money on my straps because they are too long when using the soft ties. I am still hunting straps where the ratchet side is only an inch or two from hook to ratchet. In my FZ 260 I would remove the saddle bags and side covers. I would then worry about whether they would get scratched or not. Fortunately, never got any. Tying up the front is always a pain due to the fairing.

For some reason I thought that a toy hauler would be a lot easier for motorcycle transport. Thinking about getting a golf cart - should be significantly easier! LOL
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #32
Jeff and Rita

Thanks MSD for your input...... so you back your FLHX down.... Do you use only your Front Brakes ? I will send you information on some tiedowns when I get home.... they are a little pricey. But why use cheap on your bike that could cost you later. I am feeling better now...
Old 04-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #33
MBD

Yes Jeff - I walk it down backwards. I keep the bike in neutral and use the front brake only. Regardless of which side of the garage the bike is loaded on, I stand on the left side.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #34
Jeff and Rita

Thanks MSD.....