Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
TheSweetLife

PA to Yellowstone and Glacier

We have 4 weeks summer vacations next July. We are leaving from Hershey PA and would like to see Yellowstone and Glacier National Park.

We are thinking about traveling to Yellowstone first and then working our way north to Glacier. Our thought is 1 week travel out to Yellowstone, 2 weeks in Yellowstone/ Glacier and finally 1 week return trip to PA with stops in Chiacgo and Michigan.

We are still in the planning stages but I wanted to get a list of "must sees" so that we can plan our trip out.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advanced.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
GmaPaTime

Can not pass Mount Rushmore and not stop and if going to Yellowstone first, go in the east entrance and stop a Cody for the cowboy museum. We're doing our trip there in 2016.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

With Rushmore, you might as well go to Crazy Horse. Buffalo stew and Indian fry bread...YUM!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
koko

We just returned from Glacier a couple of weeks ago. We've never seen so many waterfalls. If you are able, walk the St. Mary Falls trail. We took the boat ride at Many Glacier (across two lakes with time for hiking prior to the boat ride back to the lodge). Of course Going to the Sun Road - we took a free shuttle across so that we could enjoy the scenery instead of worrying about edges and curves, and there's lots of road construction on the east side. The road is kind of scary but breathtaking. In Yellowstone just see as much as you can - it takes days - and Grand Teton National Park is right there, too. We feel (but we're biased) that more time is needed to see Yellowstone than Glacier.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
vampress_me

Don't know for sure what you like to do, but here's a few ideas depending on how you go. SD: Mt. Rushmore, Hot Springs Mammoth dig, Jewel Cave. WY: Devils Tower, Vore buffalo jump, Fort Laramie, Independence Rock; for Yellowstone, go in the east entrance, spend much, much time in the park, and come out the west and take 287 past Hebgen Lake & Quake Lake (earthquake in 1950's? caused side of mountain to slide down and block Hebgen Lake so Madison River was effectively dammed for a while, neat 0.5-1 hr stop at info area off 287). In Glacier, definitely do the red jammer buses on Going to the Sun Road. They are worth every penny! Other, smaller, things to do in MT - sapphire mining by Philipsburg, Garnet ghost town off Hwy. 200 east of Missoula, eating at Lolo Creek Steakhouse in Lolo, walking through downtown Whitefish, stopping at a Flathead cherry stand on Flathead Lake if late enough in July, fly fishing for trout on the Missouri River by Craig, Little Bighorn Battlefield by Hardin.

Sorry if I bored you.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
gearhead

You have to see Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody WY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo...er_of_the_West

http://centerofthewest.org/explore/b...en8hoCApzw_wcB
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
GmaPaTime

@Vampress_Me & koko... Great ideas!!!! may need to modify ours a little, thanks...
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
homer3

I don't think that you enjoy Yellowstone for a full 2 weeks. I have to agree with others on this post. More to see in the Black Hills area as well as taking in the Tetons.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
dblanch57

just returned

My wife and I just returned from the Black Hills, Devils Tower, and Yellowstone. I recommend spending a few days in the Black Hills. The Fingers drive is worth the time. Devils Tower is a beautiful area, we stayed one night there. We took 16 over the Big Horn Mountains into Cody and then the East Road into Yellowstone. We stayed at Fishing Bridge for 4 nights and drove around Yellowstone. I suggest a minimum of 4 days in Yellowstone. We also drove down to the Tetons and that is a must. We originally planned to return to Cody to go to the Museum, but our plans changed and that will have to be another trip. Great trip! have fun planning your trip.
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
bp926

Not sure when but we are planning the same trip. I see a lot on here about things to see and do which is a great. My question is what is the best time of year everyone has found to make the trip? We are empty nest so time of year or length of trip really doesn't matter.
Thanks for input.
bp926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
notanlines

I probably would pass on Glacier National Park unless I was certain that "going to the sun" road was open for sure. We have been twice. Guess what? Fourth week in June, closed for avalanche. Years ago, guess what? Closed for rock slide. We still haven't been on the road, but as a whole the park is great, but not great enough to make the drive very far out of the way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
koko

Going to the Sun Road was open when we were there in early July - had just opened for the season. There's still construction, but we had no problem getting around.

As far as time of year to go to Yellowstone, it's extremely busy in the summer. Our best trips have been in early to mid-September (beware - snow season is early there - becomes iffy by October). Schools are in session, so there are a lot less people. Temperatures are still reasonably warm. No matter when you plan to go, you'll love it.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
airforceret

Don't plan on seeing Rushmore or Crazy Horse if you get their during (or close to) the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally!

I would plan on trying to stop at the Archway Museum in Nebraska if you travel through Kearney on Hwy 80.

http://archway.org/

Roger
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #14
austinp

We went to the Black Hills in mid September and got a little rain, but not much. Weather was good for the most part with one 80 degree day. Saw Rushmore and Crazy Horse with very little crowds. This seemed to be a good time of year, but two weeks later it was -5 degrees in Hill City. Weather changes fast. September seemed to be a good month, October probably is cutting it close.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #15
DHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I probably would pass on Glacier National Park unless I was certain that "going to the sun" road was open for sure. We have been twice. Guess what? Fourth week in June, closed for avalanche. Years ago, guess what? Closed for rock slide. We still haven't been on the road, but as a whole the park is great, but not great enough to make the drive very far out of the way.
Valid concern, but there should be no issue with July. Hit Yellowstone first and then Glacier and all should be great!
DHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #16
DHawk

I highly recommend hitting Virginia City along with the two National Parks. It's a nostalgic old-west town, featuring a great community theater and a fun comedy show. We are hitting Yellowstone and Glacier in July and this is a "must" on our trip. Fun and safe travels!

http://virginiacity.com/
http://www.virginiacityplayers.com/
http://www.breweryfollies.net/
DHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
MTBlazer89

Agree with the above advice ^^^ on Virginia City as well as Gateway of the Mountains boat tour and Lewis and Clark caverns if you're going to be down that way already. Both are very cool trips! Enjoy MT!
MTBlazer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 AM   #18
NorskeBob

We made a trip from upstate NY in 2013. We spent most of the month of August on the road.
Western stuff - Mount Rushmore (KOA Rapid City), Devils Tower, Custers last stand (drive through – limited parking), Yellowstone (Gardiner Rocky Mountain RV Park & Lodging, LLC, Glacier ( Mountain Meadow RV Park & Cabins - Hungry Horse).

On the way home - Family in Northern Minnesota (Detroit Lakes), Mackinaw City/Island (Mackinaw City KOA).

The Red Bus tour in Glacier was great! Glad we let the driving to someone else.
(West Side Crown of the Continent Tour)

We made reservations in Feb. for the Yellowstone and Glacier stays. At that time we had a 34' fifth wheel.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #19
heiserk0410

That's Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetLife View Post
We have 4 weeks summer vacations next July. We are leaving from Hershey PA and would like to see Yellowstone and Glacier National Park.

We are thinking about traveling to Yellowstone first and then working our way north to Glacier. Our thought is 1 week travel out to Yellowstone, 2 weeks in Yellowstone/ Glacier and finally 1 week return trip to PA with stops in Chiacgo and Michigan.

We are still in the planning stages but I wanted to get a list of "must sees" so that we can plan our trip out.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advanced.
First off, I'm jealous. I wish I had the time to take that trip and for that long. Please be sure to take your time and enjoy! My wife and I took our boys to Yellowstone about 4 years ago. Loved it! Yellowstone is just amazing. We went in early June and saw so much wildlife. If and when we go back, I will spend more time at Badlands National Park in S.D. (https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm) We stopped here on our way home for about 4 hours. I really could have used about 2 days to do some more exploring of this area. If you like Big Horn Sheep, this is the place to go. Here's a picture of one I was able to sneak up on around the corner with a zoom lens...

I also recommend Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, and Crazy Horse Memorial. South Dakota is extremely under rated in my opinion.

Have fun!

heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote