Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Barbell

Closet doors on Montana

Our 2014 Montana has been great except for one thing. The closet doors in the bedroom will not stay on their hangers/tracks when the doors are locked closed when moving. We have had them repaired twice under warranty but they just replace the broken hardware with the same stuff and it just breaks again. We mostly travel interstates at moderate speeds; never over 65 even where limit is 75 or more. The only way to keep this from happening is to tie the doors open with bungee cords.
In looking at the '15 models, we see that Keystone has used much heavier hardware in this area. However, they won't do anything about ours since it is now out of warranty. The dealer did offer to sell me the hardware but I would be responsible to make sure it would fit and to install it. I assume ours is not the only one with this problem. I would like to know if other have experienced this and what they did about it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know if they are the same hardware but my sliding door to the bathroom from the bedroom on our 2014 Cougar High Country broke one of the "hanger/rollers" on the way to FL which then caused havoc for the door, track etc. We were in FL and I advised the CW dealership that although it was in warranty I was living in it and could/would not bring it in for however long for them to repair it but, I was able to repair whatever needed to be done.

It was obvious that whoever put the door/track/hanger/rollers together was confused. When I dug into it you could see that they had left the roller stops out; the rollers had been re-positioned at least twice; there were holes where they had placed then removed the stops etc......a mess. The broken roller/hangers, which may be like yours, were made of metal and a plastic lock lever - which was obviously the weak link and what had broken precipitating all the other damage. The ones I received had been upgraded and were all metal and so much stronger. We have not had one issue since I corrected the issues and installed the upgraded rollers.

All that to say that 1) taking it in might not mean that you get the best repair and 2) you probably could make those repairs yourself if it's something like that. Since it has a history of those breakages under warranty and it has broken again I would hope they would at least provide you with the new, upgraded hardware free of charge. Have you contacted Keystone customer service/customer relations? They might be able to do that for you. Good luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
gearhead

Do you have those clear plastic snap straps at the bottom that are supposed to secure the doors?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
RV 4 Fun

We have a 2013 Big Sky Montana...we had the "sliding closet" doors repaired at least twice under warranty both times they fell off the track while traveling down the road...and I think one side even broke some wood molding once.
We finally used a strapping system to hold them open while traveling on the open road once out of warranty. So you are not alone....your system to hold the closet doors open while traveling is used by this Montana owner too....wish a better system had been designed. But alas.....modifications are a part of having an RV and making it yours! Enjoy the experience!
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
mazboy123

i did a thread on the montana forum.

you need to get the metal clipped clips. you can caulk the clips too and wrapped a piece of duck tape around each clip.

i found my metal clips on amazon.

also, on the bottom of your closet you should have 2 rails on the botton, not just one rail.

give me a quick message if you need to know more.

the 2013 model change sucked when they went with the new closet doors.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
neil andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
Our 2014 Montana has been great except for one thing. The closet doors in the bedroom will not stay on their hangers/tracks when the doors are locked closed when moving. We have had them repaired twice under warranty but they just replace the broken hardware with the same stuff and it just breaks again. We mostly travel interstates at moderate speeds; never over 65 even where limit is 75 or more. The only way to keep this from happening is to tie the doors open with bungee cords.
In looking at the '15 models, we see that Keystone has used much heavier hardware in this area. However, they won't do anything about ours since it is now out of warranty. The dealer did offer to sell me the hardware but I would be responsible to make sure it would fit and to install it. I assume ours is not the only one with this problem. I would like to know if other have experienced this and what they did about it.
the sliding doors in our cogar has the same problem
neil andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
mazboy123

closet doors on 2013

if you have the poorly designed closet doors on you 2013 model it is because of plastic clips that hold the doors. (reffering to the 4 panel mirrored doors).

you can solve your problem a couple of ways. replacement of clips, there are metal clips out there, i got my on line. another way is to just keep the doors opened and use a strap to hold them open. and, another way is to silicone the clips you have, wrap wire around them and duck tape them...they'll never come undone....really, i've tried.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
gearhead

I'm confused. Are we talking about the doors coming out of their tracks and being completely loose inside the trailer, because the rollers are wrong?
Or, are we talking about the clear plastic straps at the bottom of the doors not staying snapped and allowing the doors to slide back and forth during travel?
Or both?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
mazboy123

closet doors on 2013

are you having problems with your closet doors?

it was the design of the 2013 4 panel doors that had the problem. montana used plastic clips on the top and they kept breaking. montana then changed to a roller system that, i assume corrected the problem.

are you having problems with the roller system, i see you have a 2014 model.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy123 View Post
are you having problems with your closet doors?

it was the design of the 2013 4 panel doors that had the problem. montana used plastic clips on the top and they kept breaking. montana then changed to a roller system that, i assume corrected the problem.

are you having problems with the roller system, i see you have a 2014 model.
My clear plastic straps are at the bottom outside corner of each door. They don't stay latched.
The rollers haven't jumped out of the tracks. Yet.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
Barbell

Our Montana is titled as '14 but was built in March of '13. It has a clear plastic strap that holds the door from bedroom to bath open when traveling and have had no problem with it. The mirrored closet doors are the problem. There is nothing original to hold them open; I added the straps. I have since called Keystone and was told to make the change to heavier brackets and send them the bill, so they are aware that this is a problem on these fivers.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
gearhead

I need major help I guess. Let's go at this again.
Regarding only the closet doors:
Why are you wanting to keep the doors open??
My High Country came with clear plastic straps that snap on the bottom outside corners of the doors and the straps are connected to the wall to keep the doors closed. The straps are in a near vertical position to secure the doors from moving in a horizontal plane. Obviously not a good design.
My current solution is to put wooden dowels in the door tracks to prevent them from moving when the snap comes undone.
What heavier brackets are you talking about?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
gearhead

Pics of my Montana HC closet doors showing the snaps and my wooden stick in the door track:
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
Barbell

We have a 2014 Montana 3100 RL. There are no plastic straps to hold the closet doors open on this model. The rollers at the top of the doors have a plastic clip that allows the installation of the doors to the top rollers after they are in place; there is no other way to install the doors with this system. The doors are designed to be locked in the closed position when traveling. We have had the doors come loose from the top track repeatedly and the clips have broken. When the doors come loose, they have scratched nearby woodwork and broken moldings. We have had this repaired twice under warranty with the same inadequate clips. The only way we, and others, I understand, have been able to keep this from happening is to lock the closet doors open with bungy cords. The new models have a different system that eliminates the plastic clips. I have also found hangers and track at Home Depot that is very much like the new model system. Keystone has told us to replace the old hangers and track and send them the bill, which I will do shortly. Apparently your HC has a different system with which I am not familiar.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #15
mazboy123

closet

hey, i'm the montana closet expert. on the 2013 (some 2014) montanas they tried a new rail system for the 4 door closet doors. the result--terrible result.

you can do a couple of things without replacing the whole rail. you can buy clips that are metal and not plastic. along with that you can silicone them in and it works. i replaced the clips with the metal ones, siliconed, wrapped wire around the clips and duct taped them...they aren't going anywhere.

also, we now keep the doors opened when we travel, we made up 2 straps for each door side. no problem after numerous issues.

you can find the metal clips on amazon if you search enough.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
gearhead

Barbell: What did Keystone originally design and install to keep your closet doors closed when traveling?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
Barbell

GH:
When closed, the closet doors are latched together by a U-shaped pin that drops into a slot. This has not failed. The plastic clips on top of doors that fasten them to the rollers either breaks or comes loose, allowing the doors to become adrift in the bedroom, doing damage to whatever they come in contact with. Hope this answers your question.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
GH:
When closed, the closet doors are latched together by a U-shaped pin that drops into a slot. This has not failed. The plastic clips on top of doors that fasten them to the rollers either breaks or comes loose, allowing the doors to become adrift in the bedroom, doing damage to whatever they come in contact with. Hope this answers your question.
OK. Now I understand what's happening. I was looking at a new Montana and saw a black latch that was holding the doors closed. Looked like a black iron garden gate latch. I need to look closer and see if that will work for me. I must have different tracks and "gliders". Mine haven't "jumped the tracks" yet.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:54 AM   #19
mazboy123

closet doors

the problem with the closet doors were the redesign in late 2013, BUT then montana immediately changed the system in 2014 with ROLLERS and not the clips. GH relax, it sounds like you have the new and better system.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #20
takpak

Exclamation Closet doors

On our 2014 3725, it was a known problem with the closet doors coming loose when bouncing down the road. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention until we had ours come off. One laid down across the bed, and all the stops broke. They were secured to each other, but they had enough play to allow them to bang side to side, even when tied together. Repaired damage (slight, fortunately) and then installed my own system. It consists of a couple of stout bungee cords, with hooks inside and outside the doors, and we secure them open while travelling. No problems since.

The doors had a nice solid metal hasp to lock them together, but nothing at each end to keep them from moving back and forth, about an inch each way. Enough to do damage and come off track.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote