Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #1
byrdr1

weekend trip that was great!

I know we all post about our bad trips or campground horror stories.
HOW about one where the weekend was one of the best trips in a while. We live in central NC and its been hot as blazes. We planned a trip to the blue ridge mountains of VA for a long weekend. 4 families made the trip. We had an easy ride up I-77 and got to the CG at around 12noon. The camp host lady allowed us onsite before the 1pm check in time. Set up easy and the rest of the weekend was nice. Cool mid 70's temps with little to no humidity. Saturday it got to 82 but still no humidity. Woke up Friday am to 56 degree morning. That was great the other two mornings low 60's. This is fatboy weather..
We had family meals together and community ice cream socials each night. NO fires but we could have very easily had them, just did not take to time to make one each night. Sunday morning I was awoken to the sound of strong winds and a tree limb crashing down on the roof of the camper. I got up and the limb was against my door. It was about 1 inch in diameter and about 6 foot long. Got my friend to climb the ladder and check out the roof NO damage, thank goodness.
We hit the road around 10:30 and had a great trip home other than about collecting a few idiots that pulled over in front of me. I mean like right on my front end.. FOLKS its like a big rig to stop, running 62MPH.....
But the wife and I talked and we called this an 8.5 trip. I had 9 she had 8 so we split the score. Even with the tree limb and the road hazards..it was a nice break from the heat of central of NC in the middle of JULY and most of all a great camping trip with friends and family(grandson)well his parents too.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds like you had a nice, relaxing weekend. Family, friends and ice cream socials have a way of making most trips seem a little better.

As for the tree limb, I'd urge you to climb back on the roof and spend considerable time looking for small (pinhole size) punctures in the EPDM. When that tree fell on our Springdale last year, we had over 100 small punctures that we didn't see because we were focused on the several "big ones" (like 6" in diameter).

Here's hoping your next camping weekend is even better than this one

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
byrdr1

thanks JRTJH,
I had not thought about that..Was looking for the big hole..
Big thing is the roof was cleaned a month ago or so. So it was clean and shiny and NOW I know that pine tree dropped sap on it because I have some on my truck hood today with the sun shining on it. This should make it easier for me to see any damage and clean the sap off too.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Jim Dow

Where in the blue ridge mountains of VA?

What campground near which town/city were you using?

My campground location/finding software on my phone requires the name of the campground or the name of a closeby city/town.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Kristi

Glad to hear you had a great trip!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
MarkS

Byrdr1,
Thanks for the good weekend report. You are right, most posts are about problems. It is good to to remember that RVing is fun.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote