Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
grumpygregg

Smile My New 248RKS

Well last Saturday the wife and I picked up our new 2014 Bullet 248RKS. We traded in our little Jayco swift 145rb. We took it directly from the dealer to the campground and there it will sit for the next 3 months. We only got to stay in her for one night so far but are headed back to her tonight. I will try to snap some pics and list the mods I have already started.....

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI
grumpygregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
bellsharbor

Congrats!! We are in our second year with ours and love it! Enjoy!!

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

35 Years of Boating on The Great Lakes
20 Years of Motor Homes in The West
Now a New Travel Trailer
Happy Travels Everyone!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
grumpygregg

What do these 3 locks have in common?

A Key..... I swapped out all the locks so now I have one key for all the doors and storage rather than 2 door keys and the famous ch751.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
grumpygregg

Bathroom Updates

Added a towel bar and moved the installed hook next to the med cab.
Added a TP holder, and I swapped out the cheap plastic toilet for a porcelain one with a wood seat. I need my throne to be sturdy and comfy.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygregg View Post
I need my throne to be sturdy and comfy.
Thats funny right there! But I understand that thought.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
grumpygregg

Installed my LED awning lights. I ran the wire down the frame rail and drilled in a small hole. That gave me acces to the area under the fridge where I easily tapped in to the 12v system and the only visible bit is the little IR receiver I have sticking out of the louvers.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
grumpygregg

Another shot of the Awning lights. My step carpets, a bug screen over the heater port, and my flag and sign solution. I got a 6 dollar shepard's hook holder from the grocery store and it works great to hold the flag and our camp sign.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
grumpygregg

On the back side I have my extended x-chock and I had to get a "wye" for my sewer line so I didn't have to disconnect to drain the kitchen grey tank.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
grumpygregg

and finally just a shot of the key holder by the door, and the little decor added to the sofa. The ottomans fold up and have storage space inside. the pillows and blanket are just comfy.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

We have had ours for almost a year and a half and love it, not too many upgrades, just replaced the tv and mount. Still working on a good solution for awning lights. Here we are at a stop last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TVandTT2014.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	6678  
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
grumpygregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtex View Post
We have had ours for almost a year and a half and love it, not too many upgrades, just replaced the tv and mount. Still working on a good solution for awning lights. Here we are at a stop last weekend.
I haven't changed the TV yet. I was thinking about upgrading it to a 32" Before we traded in our last camper I took out the 19" TV we had installed in it so I put that in the bedroom. The wife was sleeping while I was taking pics and I forgot to go back and get on of the TV after she got up.

As for the awning lights I was very nervous about how to do them but they turned out to be very easy and cheap. I got the $16 kit from amazon and used just a little extra wire and some black caulk and electrical tape. I think it turned out great.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
Triplespool

Very nice !!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Dave in Va

That's nice stuff there, Gregg. I totally see why you changed out the toilet. I'd settle for an upgraded seat. Which one did you get and how was the install?

On the locks, did you replace the cylinders or the whole assy?

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
grumpygregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Va View Post
That's nice stuff there, Gregg. I totally see why you changed out the toilet. I'd settle for an upgraded seat. Which one did you get and how was the install?

On the locks, did you replace the cylinders or the whole assy?

Dave,
I got the toilet off eBay last year. it is a dometic 310. In my old camper it was a bit of a pain to install as I had to move the plumbing a bit. This new camper was real easy it came with the 300 so everything was the same and lined right up. I totally think it is worth it because being a bigger guy, the original plastic one creaked every time I sat down on and I didn't feel really confident in it. the enameled wood seat is also a really nice upgrade, this was a direct replacement from dometic.

As for the locks I got replacement units from RV locks and More. they are direct replacement and is just a matter of removing the 4 screws holding in the original and putting 4 screws to hold the new ones. They also sell the keyed alike cylinders for the cargo doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
Bulletman

Quote:

On the back side I have my extended x-chock and I had to get a "wye" for my sewer line so I didn't have to disconnect to drain the kitchen grey tank.
Greg,

Do you notice the x-wheel chocks helping the shimmying back and forth?? Ours drives me nuts and I am planning to by the extended x-chocks..thanks
Reese Pro Series RB WD hitch
Bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Bulletman

Cool Mods guys.

I have added a key chain holder, a cable splinter to add second tv, screen door handle/bar, carpet on our steps, and finally bought the spider style blank/grey tank hose support (well worth it).

X-chock is next, then second tv mount, also want to add some plugs near the bunks for the kids. We also bought some nice looking Command Strip hooks and they are working great for hanging things without drilling holes.

Our pantry does not have shelves (crazy) so i am thinking off adding some. Anyone have a good lightweight solution???
Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
grumpygregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletman View Post
Greg,

Do you notice the x-wheel chocks helping the shimmying back and forth?? Ours drives me nuts and I am planning to by the extended x-chocks..thanks

The front to back movement is rick solid thanks to the x-chock. The side to side is a bit much still. I am think about getting the screw jacks from camco to see if they fix it.

Gregg & Danielle
2014 Bullet 248RKS
Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #18
Bulletman

Quote:
The front to back movement is rick solid thanks to the x-chock. The side to side is a bit much still. I am think about getting the screw jacks from camco to see if they fix it.
Glad to hear the x chocks are worth it. Will be ordering ASAP.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #19
Esai

We just picked up our 2015 Bullet 251RBS on Monday. It's our first so we are still studying manuals and figuring things out.

I am curious as to why your awning covers your back door, not the front. Did you get to choose, or was that just the way they installed it? Ours covers the front door, not the back.

I was very disappointed to find that my TV does not swivel -- that was half the reason we ordered a Keystone! The dealer checked and said there were so many warranty claims with twisted wires that they gave up. It did come with a hole on the bedroom side for us to install a second TV and feed the wires to the plug/antenna on the living room side, so I guess I'll get over it.

We had black air vent covers (2) installed on the roof but I notice a white cover on the roof over the fridge area -- anyone know what that is?

We are towing with a 2014 Tundra 5.7 -- bringing the trailer home on Monday we noticed that the cruise control shuts off every now and then. Checked the truck's manual and it says not to use cruise control when towing. Do others use it? It seemed like a handy thing to have and we were surprised to read not to use it.

Much to learn but we were really impressed with the quality of the TT -- nice wood, nice finishes, well-planned. And a LOT of lights! Tons of storage! We ordered over the phone so this has been our first chance to actually see one. Can't wait to actually try it out, beyond sitting in it in the yard, opening and closing cupboards.

Priscilla
Esai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #20
Esai

Aha! I have answered my own question about the awning & door placement -- yours is a RKS so your "front" door is in the rear and that's the one the awning covers. Our rear door is the bathroom (RBS) so our awning covers the front door (entrance door.)

We had a second big grab handle put on the second door -- they left the small handle on, too, and added the big handle. I've got a knee I don't always trust so I thought that would be a good idea. And whenever I will be climbing the steps I will be holding a squirming Chihuahua in one arm. It seemed like a good choice for safety.

Priscilla
Esai is offline   Reply With Quote