Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Smitty

Fireplace finally installed

I hope this post isn't too long. I've added picture as suggested but have no idea how this is going to come out, so here it goes:
My kids bought me the insert for Christmas and I’ve been waiting to install it but Fiver has been in storage for the winter. Finally got it out of storage a couple of weeks ago and the first project was the Fireplace.

Below: Before doors removed

Name:   Before Install.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  8.7 KB
Next, framed the fireplace in the cavity. Framed the floor under the fireplace then made up a 2x2 frame to wrap around the rear of the unit to keep it from bouncing since it sits in the back of the fifth wheel. I also added a “L” bracket to each side which made it rock solid. I then sub-framed the front with ¾ in material as to attached the Mantel I constructed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	framed.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	359
Drilled six 2” holes in the shelf above the fireplace for air circulation, then did an additional four above those behind the flat screen TV. There are also two more, one on each side of the unit, (the one on the right carries the fireplace cord through it) these circulate through the two holes in the formica tops (factory drilled for outlets inside each cabinet to the left and right side of the TV).

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	360
I built the mantel separately and painted it with a semi-satin black which matches all my window frames and the plastic which surrounds the refrigerator. I thought about staining it cherry like the rest of the cabinets but thought the Mantel would get lost with all the rest of the Cherry wood in the cabinetry.

Name:	mantel finished.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	361
Next was the electrical. I already have an outlet inside of each cabinet to the left and right of the fireplace which run off of the Fifth Wheel’s electrical circuits. The electrical outlet operated the unit fine as it’s only 1250 watts but I wanted a separate outlet which I could plug directly into the campgrounds post, (that’s if they offer a separate 15amp circuit) which most do. This way I have both options available.

Purchase an outside weather proof 15amp outlet made for RV’s. Drilled a hole in the back of the fifth wheel by the 50amp service and then ran a separate wire with a separate plug and 15amp circuit breaker. Now if I have a separate outlet available at the campsite, I can use that or if not, use the outlet on my Fiver’s circuits.

Name:	outlet outside.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	362
Well, that's my project hope you like it.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Handysam

Nice job Smitty, That's also on my to do list, and if my DW see's this it's going to move up the list quicker than I wanted. One question, where did you run your wiring on the inside, and put your breaker? Sam
Old 05-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Smitty

Added Outlet information

Just in case anyone wants information on the outlet I installed for my fireplace upgrade, I've attaced a photo of the package.

Name:	Outlet Plug.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	366

Here is the purchase link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YYX28SZ6TF6YC6
Woe, that's a long link. In case it doesn't work, I bought it at amazon.com. Put this in your amazon search "ParkPower 150BBIWRV 15 Amp White Power Inlet"
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Smitty

Handy Sam

Here's a couple of pictures on where I ran my wiring.

Inside wiring:

Name:	outlets inside by side.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	367
The wire on the right is my 50 amp coming in and the one on the left is the new one I added. This was found behind a panel that was behind the two doors to the right of my entertainment center. I unscrewed the panel and low and behold, there was a whole compartment wasted behind it. Below is the post of what it looks like now. Instead of putting the panel back the way the manufacture did it which was a large amount of wasted cabinet, I put the panel inside the cabinet on an angle and gained quite a bit of space.

Name:	DSC02786.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	368
Below is a picture of the outlet and circuit breaker. I went to my local electrical shop and they sold me what they called a mini breaker. I installed them both in a double outlet box which I installed on the shelf inside the cabinet. The factory outlet which runs off of my regular breaker is just above in the left wall of the entertainment center. These are both inside of the right cabinet.
Factory Outlet:

Name:	factory outlet.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	370
New added outlet with breaker:

Name:	outlet and breaker.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	369
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Ron

great job

hey smitty where did the fireplace come from, model etc. that is also on my to do list. good idea doing some black accents like you did. also good idea on the seperate plug in options. Happy campin............Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Smitty

Purchase info

Ron,
Here's the info where my kids bought the fireplace. It was an on line store. One thing I really like about the unit is, it has no moving door and the flames are led. Real nice. There are buttons on the fireplace to operate functions plus remote. Functions that are being used light up in the background of fireplace then disappear.

Below is the info from my email receipt.
Order Summary:
FIREPLACES DIRECT.COM

ItemQtyDescriptionOptionsRateAmount
ClassicFlame 26" Fixed Glass Electric Fireplace Insert - 26EF022GRA1ClassicFlame 26" Plug-In Electric Insert and Remote Control- 26EF022GRA $391.00$391.00
Tax 0.00
Total$391.00
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
SLIMSHADIE

Smitty here you go

http://www.electricfireplacesdirect....ert-26EF022GRA
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Very Nice. The extra outlet is also on my list of "To Dos". Marinco also makes a 20A inlet and I'll probably use that and run an extra outlet close to the bedroom so if I want to run a couple of space heaters in the winter, I'll have the amp capacity to do it. I also have a Blue Sea distribution panel out of a van conversion that I can put a 20A DP breaker in and feed outlets and my air compressor off of the pedestal 20A plug.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
LarryL

I'm going to back it with a metal plate on the inside will have to cut a 4x4in hole inside the cabinet then put some luan over that hole.
Bob you don't think I need put backing behind the outlet on the back of the trailer?
I was hoping to here from Smitty on what was behind his wall and what he did.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Bob Landry

When I installed the SP inlet, I mounted the inlt to a piece of starboard and then mounted the starboard over the cutout. I ran a bead of white silicon around edge the starboard and also the screw holes to seal it, so in essence, I have the power inlet adhered to the trailer rear with 4 screws plus the adhesive qualities of the silicon. I'm comfortable with that since there is no stress on the outlet when I'm bouncing down the road.

The mounting of anything, even as light as a camera on some kind of arm is a different matter. You'll have the weight of the camera acting as a lever trying to pull the mounting screws loose as you are traveling. I think that necessitates some kind of backing material. It doesn't even have to be metal, just something that can be screwed into from the outside and is large enough to distribute the load so you don't have stress concentrated where the camera mount is. 1/2" plywood would work well for backing material.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
dandlbro

fireplace

Very nice.......Hope you get lots of enjoyment from it....
dandlbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #12
kenn209

Wonder if I could install this in my 318. There is no cabinet there, its an open space for a chair.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Smitty

Kenn, bet you could. If it is wide, deep and tall enough to fit a unit you can always frame it and then finish it with a mantel. Check to see if you have ample power to run the unit you are thinking about or maybe add auxiliary power like some of us have done. We really enjoyed it this spring with the cool weather we had. Mine only draws 1250 watts, less than the portable heater I was using. Good luck if you decide to pursue this project.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Rock7

I spend my winters on military Base.
Morale/Welfare/Recreation says, You are paying for 30 or 50 amp service.
Came around and unplugged 20 amp cords.
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Hunter757

Very nice job! nice and clean install.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
Smitty

Rock7, Easy fix for me. If I don't want to use the 20amp service, I can still plug it into the outlet right next to the auxillary one I installed and then it runs off my 50 amp service. Interesting about the unplugging. Did they notify them first before unplugging. That 20 amp cord could be running a medical machine or something. Anyway, having both outlets work out well for me.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #17
Camp I am

Smitty; Nice mod and very nice write-up. Did the directions require the venting from behind the fireplace you drilled the holes for. I would think it would vent from the front?

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote