Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
as you see you will get a lot of I leave it on to travel and had no problem answers. the Pros, the guys who wire RV articles, will say for safely sake leave all gas off while traveling and put reusable ice packs in the frig while traveling. that is what I do and I've never had a problem. You can put the ice packs in the freezer at night and back into the frig the next day if travel is still in force.
The guys that make the refrigerator give instructions on how to use it while travelling, which means propane on. As for using ice packs, if I had any room left in the freezer to refreeze them, that might be a possibility, but when the freezer is full of food and ice, there's simply no room to be "jockeying ice packs" For many, this just isn't an option.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #22
Sicapo

How long can I go without propane or electricity to the fridge.
I know it depends a lot on the ambient temperature. (let's say it's about 90)
Can I be good for 1 or 2 hours or can I extend that to as much as 12 hours?
What is your experience on this?

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

As long as you're not opening and closing the refrigerator, 1-2 hours is not a problem. If you're going to be in 90F + weather, opening and closing the refrigerator to get drinks at rest areas, or other similar activity, I'd expect that by the time evening rolls around and you're pulling into a campsite, you're going to have "mushy" ice cream if it's even still frozen. If you don't open the refrigerator, it should be OK for 4-6 hours in the same 90F + tempterature. We've found along the way that if we leave it running, things don't condense in the freezer and it doesn't need defrosting as often. So, when summer starts the refrigerator gets turned on and when we winterize, we turn it off, defrost it, clean it and prop the door open. I don't think we've turned off the refrigerator (or the propane) from the start of camping season until we "put 'er up" in the fall is at least the last 30 years. Once it's turned on, it's on for the season....

The important thing to remember about absorption refrigerators (IMHO) is that it takes a significant time to cool down, once that cool is lost, it takes another substantial length of time to regain the cold. It's better to keep it cold than it is to let it warm up and then try to recool it while camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
greengiant

My old TT had the, pain in the nec, 4 knobs to unscrew, and cover to pull off, just to turn gas on and off. Currently just have the flip top lid, so it's much easier. I've always left gas on when camping and driving, and getting gas. When it's sitting in the driveway, gas is off. One of the kids (or me) could accidentally bump the stove or kick on the HWH and create an issue. I do agree, that there shouldn't be leaks, so technically, yes, you can leave it on all the time. Also, I remove my 2x30lb tanks and figure one less thing for someone to screw with when in storage away from home over winter.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #25
Whitewolf

I've never traveled with the propane on. Only reason is I didn't think I was supposed to. So those of you who do, this is brand new info for me. And I'm intrigued.

I don't remember if I was told or if it's just something I dreamed up all by myself. Either way the big problem I have (or was told) is that the flame would be blown out from the wind while driving.

No?

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #26
Hoojs12840

I have never turned mine off to travel. I turn the tanks on at the beginning of season and off at the end. Only time I've turned them off in route was going through a tunnel that required me to. I've had issue turning them on slowly enough to not activate the flow control valve. (Not sure that's the correct name) All RV's have them so if you do have a leak or a catastrophic failure in a line it will shut off flow to the lines. I always thought the more you mess with something the more problematic they will become.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #27
mkloman

RV fridge on or off while travel?

Okay, now I'm totally confused. Concerning leaving the refrigerator on while in transit, everything I've read about safety says to turn off the propane before pulling into a fuel stop. This does not sound very convenient to me.

To avoid this, can't the refrigerator run off the battery the whole time while in transit? Our fridge has two "on" buttons, one is "gas" (propane) and the other is "auto," which I'm assuming switches it automatically from propane to battery power. Is this correct, or am I missing something here?

So, if this is correct, why can't the fridge be on "auto" while traveling with the propane off the entire time?
mkloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
Festus2
Site Team

Your fridge does not run on battery - it runs on either propane or 110v AC. On AUTO, If you are plugged in to shore power, it will go to AC ; if not plugged in - to propane. Electricity is the default setting.

If you set the fridge to AUTO, it will operate on propane - if the propane is ON - while you are traveling.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #29
x96mnn

Personally I leave it on when I travel. I will state in my home province of Nova Scotia and that of PEI it is illegal to travel on the highway with the propane cylinders open. I also do not have a flare stored in my safety kit which is also a legal requirement in Nova Scotia. I think I will correct the no flare though but shame on me I guess just the same.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #30
mkloman

Okay, Festus, thanks for the clarification.

Let me be sure I completely understand your statement as follows:
"The default for the “auto” setting is always electric unless only the propane is on and the RV is not connected to shore power. Then, obviously, the default would be propane."

Is that correct?
mkloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #31
GmaPaTime

Good point SAD....
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

If your fridge has an "auto" option, then yes it will ALWAYS choose A/C if it is available, and if not will automatically look for propane. If your propane is turned on, it will light and operate by propane until you plug into an electrical source. Once it "senses" A/C it will switch to electric.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #33
Festus2
Site Team

If both sources, propane and 110v, are available the fridge will automatically select electricity (on the AUTO setting). If you disconnect shore power, the fridge will go to propane. It does this automatically. I think that is the same thing I said.......
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
If both sources, propane and 110v, are available the fridge will automatically select electricity (on the AUTO setting). If you disconnect shore power, the fridge will go to propane. It does this automatically. I think that is the same thing I said.......

Yup!! You and me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote