Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
dmullen

New Shoes

I just purchased a new 2013 Bullet 246RBS and I want to get new tires for it. I want to upgrade all of the suspension eventually (Dexter EZ-Flex, etc.) but I am going to start with tires. From what I have read on here Maxxis seems to be the brand of choice and I should be sure to get steel valve stems.

Where do I start as far as making sure I get the correct size tire with the correct ratings? Also, would there be any advantage to changing the wheels? Mine came with standard steel wheels, not the fancy aluminum ones.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen View Post
I just purchased a new 2013 Bullet 246RBS and I want to get new tires for it. I want to upgrade all of the suspension eventually (Dexter EZ-Flex, etc.) but I am going to start with tires. From what I have read on here Maxxis seems to be the brand of choice and I should be sure to get steel valve stems.

Where do I start as far as making sure I get the correct size tire with the correct ratings? Also, would there be any advantage to changing the wheels? Mine came with standard steel wheels, not the fancy aluminum ones.
Most will start by staying with the same size as OE and try to upgrade load range (C to D, D to E etc) if possible. If you have to go up in size to get a higher load range (235/80/16E to a 235/85/16F) make sure you have room/clearance for the added tire size.

As for the wheels, they are stamped on the back side what load/weight they can support, typically not an issue if they are OE, they have to support the weight of your RV. The area of concern is what psi they are rated for. Heavier load range tires require higher air pressures. Again check the back of the wheel to see what air pressure they are rated for. If they will support the psi required by the tires you want to put on, you're good to go. If they won't, either look at different tires or different wheels.

People will debate what pressures should be used vs weight. I'm sure you will get some of that here, but for safety purposes if your wheel is not rated for the max psi the tire is rated for, the tire should NOT be installed on the wheel.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Jim & DJ

Tire and wheel balance.........
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
dmullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Tire and wheel balance.........
You are saying take the trailer somewhere to get a tire and wheel balance?
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

dmullen,

The problem you're going to encounter is tire size availability. Your RV comes standard with 205/75R/14 LR C (6 ply rated) tires. They are designed to carry 1760 lbs at 50 PSI.

The only "other size" that Maxxis makes in the 14" tire is 215/75R/14. It also is only available in LR C and carries 1870 lbs at 50 PSI.

There are no other 14 inch tires available from Maxxis, and both of the ones that they do make are Load Range C rated. So, trying to find an alternative tire in a LR D or LR E, even if your wheels are rated greater than 50 PSI is going to be difficult. I don't think you're going to find tires in your size, 205/75R/14 rated any stronger than LR C. If you consider going to a 15" wheel size, there are a number of options for tires in LR D and LR E configurations, but they are all significantly larger than your current tire, so you may (probably will) have issues trying to fit them into the wheelwells on your trailer.

As for having the wheel/tires balanced, it's the general belief that balancing the tires will help prevent wheel-hop which is the major cause of sidewall flexing which causes temperature buildup and possible sidewall damage. So, yes, balance your wheels when the new tires are installed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
bsmith0404

I just checked the Carlisle website, their tires have the same ratings in those sizes. If you changed wheels, you could go to a 205/75R15D rated for 2150 lbs and it is only 1" larger, so 1/2" on each side for clearance. Then you could also step into some fancy aluminum wheels

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
CWtheMan

There are Kumho trailer tires on the market that are being reported as durable and with a 75 MPH speed rating. They come in three 14” sizes, all load range D. They are of European design and the C after their size indicates their basic design is commercial.

Here is a reference with all the particulars.

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...E-E59335DE416C

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote