Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #121
GPG52

We took possession of our 2014 Cougar 327 RES in May, 2014.
By July 2014 we noticed the fading starting at the top of the cap (which is what most others responding to this thread have indicated).
I contacted our dealer and within 24 hours they had approval and agreed to correct the matter.
As we store our RV with the dealer over the winter we agreed to use the trailer for the balance of the season giving the dealer the winter to repaint, re-decal and replace the eyebrow lighting over the winter.
Looking forward to seeing the end result.
PS: We are lucky to have a great RV dealer, who does care about his customers.
GPG52
GPG52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #122
Randyj

We had the exact issue with our 2011 cougar, I solved it fast, traded it.

I know the fellow that bought it from dealer, had dealer repainted it
1975 Cignet
2005 Prowler 33ft
2007 Springdale 267bhs
2008 Prowler 31bh
2010 Springdale fifth wheel 29 bh
2011 Cougar 322qbs
2015 Avalanche 361tg
Randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #123
Bunkhouse

We have a 2014 Cougar324rlb. It faded within months of purchase. I was aware of this issue with Cougars when we bought the unit thanks to sites like this. I was originally told by CW that it would just need a polish and buff. I replied telling them that I knew this was an on going issue, and the only option they had was to repaint. I'm happy to say that the unit is currently being repainted at this time. If anyone is still in warranty I encourage them to be nice but very firm in their dealings with the dealer/Keystone.
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #124
Comptech

I am starting the process of seeing if Keystone will pay to re-paint my front cap on our 2012 330rbk. It is just now 3 years old but the front cap is really bad....
This is the letter I wrote to Keystone... wish me luck....

Hi,
I have owned my Cougar 330 RBK for just three years now and and have good luck with the unit and my wife and I really enjoy the Cougar line. I am however disappointed at the front end cap fade, which I know Keystone is aware of. I know technically the unit is not under warranty, but for a unit that is only 3 years old, the front looks like it is 20. I have buffed and waxed the front end cap several times only to have it look aged again within a few weeks or months. I was wondering if out of sense of good customer service, Keystone would pay to have my front end cap painted by my dealer:
McGeorge's RV 11525 Sun Shade Ln Ashland, VA 23005 Sales: 804-798-6192 Service: 804-798-6192
Please see attached pictures
Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150125_093155.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	7797  

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #125
J&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
I am starting the process of seeing if Keystone will pay to re-paint my front cap on our 2012 330rbk. It is just now 3 years old but the front cap is really bad....
This is the letter I wrote to Keystone... wish me luck....
Comptech,

I wish you luck. Push to get the answer from someone at Keystone with authority to approve /disapprove. You have nothing to lose by asking nicely (I like your letter) and any $$$ they might offer you would be better than none.

My fading cap cost ~$1800 to prep, paint and clear coat (under warranty) last year. Your fiver's cap is bigger and will cost more (~$2400) depending on who does it. I knew it had to be corrected one way or another, else it will be a problem when selling it or trading it in. Besides, we couldn't stand the looks of it.

Let us know how what Keystone replies.

All the best,

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #126
Comptech

I was denied.... I am looking for any ammunition? Any thoughts On how I can says this is there problem?

Good Afternoon John,

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV, we appreciate your inquiry. Due to the unit being almost two full years outside of warranty Keystone is respectfully denying any participation. The front cap fade is due to oxidation of the cap. The caps have a substance called gel coat on them, this substance can become dull or faded as it weathers. Sun, heat and moisture play a factor in this. It is recommended that the cap be cleaned and wax with high quality wax every 3 months. Also please check out the link attached below as they have products that do help with the fading caps.

Poliglow-int.com

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #127
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
I was denied.... I am looking for any ammunition? Any thoughts On how I can says this is there problem?

Good Afternoon John,

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV, we appreciate your inquiry. Due to the unit being almost two full years outside of warranty Keystone is respectfully denying any participation. The front cap fade is due to oxidation of the cap. The caps have a substance called gel coat on them, this substance can become dull or faded as it weathers. Sun, heat and moisture play a factor in this. It is recommended that the cap be cleaned and wax with high quality wax every 3 months. Also please check out the link attached below as they have products that do help with the fading caps.

Poliglow-int.com
Probably should talk to them on the phone so at least you can keep going up the chain if you are not getting an answer you like. They recommend that Poliglow stuff to me also. I called because I had bad stickers on the cap and it looked like a little fade was starting to happen on the cap. They took notes and opened a file on it. I didn't take any action at that time because I wanted to see how many more stickers were going to fail and I wasn't 100% my cap was starting to fade as I keep it waxed well.

Fast forward a year and my big sticker is now starting to turn blood red and the cap paint is failing at the top radius. I am really leaning to just doing a wrap on the front and not have to deal with the repaint. I will make a decision after our trip next month. They were informed of the problem a year into my purchase, but doubt will have any sway in their decision. They tried to blame it on my poor upkeep which is BS. Tried to get me to do the Poliglow band aid. You have to be stern with them and let them know the word is out on them and their bad paint jobs on the front caps otherwise they will say its an isolated incident that you brought upon yourself because you didn't wax it.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #128
J&A

Quote:

Good Afternoon John,

Poliglow-int.com
Hi John,

Sorry to hear you were denied any participation. IMHO, they already know they had a supplier/manufacturing problem. If I'm not mistaken, someone in the Keystone forum wrote an update last year where Keystone paid for some of their paint job after being out of warranty. Not 100% sure. Search the threads for similar examples. If so, those types of examples might help you go back with a better case that may prompt them to participate at least to some extent in the paint job.

All the best,

In search of my next RV
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #129
Comptech

My last email after the denial....

Johnathon,
Thank you for the reply. I am a little confused. Are you saying that if the RV was still under warranty you would agree to have it repainted? I have owned many RVs and boats and have never seen a gel coat oxidize like this.
This issue is all over the keystonerv forums and internet web sites. There are many reports of Keystone paying to have the cap repainted. Which to me means that there is a known issue with the gel coat material Keystone has or was using during the manufacturing process.
To expect a customer to wax and shine the gel coat every 3 months is ridiculous. I can see once a year.... That was all I ever had to do on my boat. I paid a lot of money for the RV and if I do ever expect to sell it I will have to do something about the front cap.
If this is not a Keystone manufacturing issue, then why are you no longer selling RVs with the gel front caps anymore?

Bazinga.......

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #130
Minnow

When did Keystone stop using gel caps? Looking at a new 2014 leftover and don't need a fading issue to deal with.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #131
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
When did Keystone stop using gel caps? Looking at a new 2014 leftover and don't need a fading issue to deal with.
When we were at the Goshen factory in April 2014, we toured the Cougar assembly line. At that time they were using painted caps. I specifically asked if they were still using the Gel Coat and was told that they had discontinued them and were using automotive type paint on all the caps. I don't know when they started using painted caps, but if the trailers you're looking at are Cougar models and have a manufacture date after April, 2014, you can pretty well be assured that the cap is painted.

If you've seen any "older" Cougar models, and compare one of the "newer" models, you can easily tell the difference in the painted caps and the Gel Coat caps.

ADDED: As for other brand names within the Keystone family, every brand controls its own parts for their assembly line, so there may still be some of the brands using Gel Coat caps while others have completely eliminated them. As for my experience, Cougar is the only brand I know for sure that has stopped using Gel Coat finish on their caps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #132
Comptech

Another official denial....
And just because they state something in the 'Manual" does not mean it is right.... or correct....

John,

If the unit was still under warranty there is a possibility that it would be covered, however all of our cases are reviewed on a case by case basis. Our service team makes their decision once they have all the evidence present. Also, I have heard of times where Keystone has repainted front caps so you are correct there, however, that is on a case by case basis. In regards to the waxing of your front cap if you would please go to page 72 of your owner’s manual and please read the section RV Gel Coat Finish- Care and Maintenance. It specifically states to keep the fiberglass cap looking good “ clean and apply a top quality wax twice a year or every 3 months in cases where the vehicle is in constant exposure to the elements.” If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Johnathan Watkins
Retail Advisor

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #133
Comptech

So after getting no where with Keystone, I contacted my dealer and sent pictures... They are getting Keystone to paint the front cap free of charge....

My unit is two years out of warranty, but this is just something they should correct with out question....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150125_093155.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	7912  

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #134
J&A

Great news! Congratulations!

In search of my next RV
Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #135
sourdough
Site Team

Hey! Now that's a story with a happy ending....and I sure didn't see it coming. Congratulations! Guess it goes to show that perseverance does pay off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #136
Phil/Shirl805

Wow that is great news, my 2011 High Country did the same thing.

2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 CC LB Lariat
14,000 LBS GVWR, 5484 Payload
Phil/Shirl805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #137
gasa765

2012 End Cap Fade

Glad to hear Keystone is taking care of you. Keystone is only offering us less than 25 percent of what our dealer said it would cost to fix. Ours is a 2013.
gasa765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #138
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasa765 View Post
Glad to hear Keystone is taking care of you. Keystone is only offering us less than 25 percent of what our dealer said it would cost to fix. Ours is a 2013.
What does the "less than 25%" mean in dollars? If the dealer quoted $500 then Keystone is offering you $125(a "not so good deal" ),
? Or if the dealer quoted $5000, Keystone is offering you $1250 (a "pretty good deal") ?

Unless there's a dollar amount attached to the "less than 25%" then nobody would know whether or not you're getting a good deal or a bad deal. If it's the latter quote, then you should be able to find a local shop to repair your trailer with very little or no "out of pocket" cost to you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #139
sourdough
Site Team

gasa765 - get some dollar figures attached to the dealer cost and Keystone's offer as John said. There is no telling what the dealer is trying to charge for the repairs vs what it might actually get done for. Ours was painted under warranty after we had it 10 months and Keystone knows it is a real issue. My service manager told me what and how they allowed for it but they allow x hours of labor and x for materials if I recall. If the dealer you're talking to won't do it at that rate then......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #140
gasa765

2012 End Cap Fade

Our dealer said it would be about 3,000.00 not including the cost of decals. Keystone has offered 750.00. Seems like since this is a known defect Keystone should step up. It seems they're inconsistent as to who they choose to help. Just doesn't seem right and has left us with a bad taste in our mouth regarding Keystone.
gasa765 is offline   Reply With Quote