Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
bexparza

Wet Bolt Question

How much better is a wet bolt kit than the standard factory installed suspension set up? Is it worth the additional cost? Thanks in advance.
bexparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
RichR

Could you explain what a wet bolt kit is, I have never heard of it?
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
notanlines

I'm with Rich here. Even the explanation in Google couldn't tell me why the term is "wet bolt."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
bexparza

Wet Bolt Explanation

Apparently it is a kit that replaces the existing suspension bolts with brass inserts and bolts with a lubrication fitted bolt. It's the bolts holding the leaf springs to the frame.
bexparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Briefly ... a wet bolt kit is one in which the bolts can be lubricated by means of a zerk grease fitting. On my original (2008) Cougar, I soon replaced my "dry" suspension kit (shackles, bolts, hangers) with a "wet" bolt kit. The bushings, etc. were badly worn and showed signs of excessive wear after a very short time -- far too short.

A worthwhile "upgrade" IMO.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexparza View Post
How much better is a wet bolt kit than the standard factory installed suspension set up? Is it worth the additional cost? Thanks in advance.
There is a wealth of information on the forum regarding the "wet bolt" addition to the suspension on travel trailers and fifth wheels.

If you click on the search button in the top blue bar on any forum page, a menu box will drop down. Type in "wet bolt" (include the quotation marks) and you will get 3 pages of links to threads that discuss the wet bolt concept, its application to travel trailers, installation hints and problems, as well as the general "reader opinion" that you're seeking.

Try the search feature, there's no need to wait for members to repeat what they've already posted about the topic. Of course, any "new posts" are always welcome......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
MIKEPATC

No comparison in my book!!
Standard TT springs come with plastic bushings and no possible way to lubricate... short of dis-assembly.
With a wet bolt kit you replace the spring eye bushings with brass ones and add bolts that you can grease through zerk fittings. (grease goes thru center of bolt and out a whole in the middle.

In Sept. I replaced my Bolts, the Equalizer (Dexter Suspension Kit) ... as well as the Springs (5-Leaf instead of 4-Leaf). With a lot of planning it turned out to be a not so hard and great upgrade.

With new Maxxis Tires ... I am looking forward to a smooth 2015 season.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
theeyres

We had a Springdale that we probably put at least 20,000 miles on. We now have a Hideout with maybe 5,000 miles on it. We had an Arctic Fox with at least 50k on and various and assundry other trailers and fivers before these three. I've never heard of a wet bolt and never did anything to the suspension of any of our trailers. And to my knowledge there was never any problems with the suspension. Just my opinion but I wonder if this is a solution looking for a problem.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Earl -
I never had any issues with the suspension on my 2008 5th wheel but someone advised me to check the various parts - shackles, bolts, bushings, shackle hangers, etc. When I did inspect them (in 2010) after 2 years of wear, I was both surprised and shocked to find the thin, nylon bushings were almost worn through and the "round" holes in the shackle links were no longer round but oval shaped from wear.

I looked at the suspension on all four wheels and the wear on them was the same - badly worn nylon bushings and oval-shaped holes on every link.

I took the parts down to a local shop that specializes in alignment and suspension and they showed me what they should look like as well as the same parts from a wet-bolt kit.
The links were almost twice as thick and the bushing was bronze I believe rather than nylon. The service manager told me that these original parts are cheaply made of the thinnest metal possible and he has seen and replaced dozens and dozens of these things with better quality parts.

If you have never had them inspected, it might be worthwhile doing so before you do have a problem. I don't believe its "a solution looking for a problem" but instead replacing something of poor, cheap quality with something more substantial and longer-lasting. I guess it's similar to replacing China bombs with a better quality tire.

You know the saying...."An ounce of prevention is worth ......."
Old 12-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
We had a Springdale that we probably put at least 20,000 miles on. We now have a Hideout with maybe 5,000 miles on it. We had an Arctic Fox with at least 50k on and various and assundry other trailers and fivers before these three. I've never heard of a wet bolt and never did anything to the suspension of any of our trailers. And to my knowledge there was never any problems with the suspension. Just my opinion but I wonder if this is a solution looking for a problem.
Earl,

Here are pictures (from other threads in this forum) from three different members who have posted about suspension failure on their trailer. It's not just a solution looking for a problem. I'd urge you to at least check your suspension carefully when checking tires and brakes. It could be a "game changer" if you find what these members found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	susp link broken4.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	7506   Click image for larger version

Name:	susp link broken6.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	7507   Click image for larger version

Name:	susp link broken.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	7508   Click image for larger version

Name:	susp link broken2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	7509  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
MIKEPATC

Not a Gambler

Yes ... I would rather be riding on these shackles and equalizer rather than the factory supplied ones shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22HeavyDutyShackle.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	7511   Click image for larger version

Name:	CompareDexter.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7512  
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
rjsurfer

I have 2 cross country trips and a dozen or so Florida runs on my 08 245RKS and finally decided to spend the couple of hundred bucks and go with wet bolt kit and new rubber shocked equalizer. The old connecting links were in good shape and there was even plenty of plastic bushing material left, go figure.

With that being said I would still recommend swapping out the old equalizer and links. As other's have written and as you can see by the pictures the design is not very robust.

You could take the suspension apart to check but if your going that far you might as well swap everything out while your at it....

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
RdRmr

bexparza,

The wet bolt system is well worth the expense. I installed the Dexter EZ Flex system with wet bolts over two years ago. Just this year alone I've logged over thirteen thousand miles on them, no issues. Most of all, the suspension system is quiet, no creaking or popping noises. Check my profile album pictures. Will be greasing them in a couple weeks along with repacking the bearings. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote