Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2023, 01:22 PM   #1
PhilB228

2009 Chevy Tahoe SSV upgrades for towing????

Hello. I have an 09 Chevy Tahoe SSV 4x4. I would love to be able to tow my 2008 Keystone Springdale 266 Travel Trailer with it. Can this be done? What would I need to do for upgrades/ modifications? I have the tow package and I have installed tow mirrors already? I've heard about maybe a thermostat or something? I'm not sure. If anyone has info and/or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
PhilB228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You need to know what your vehicle is rated for, and the tongue weight of the trailer. The tag on the drivers door will tell you the GVWR and cargo carrying capacity. The tongue weight will be about 15% of the trailer GVWR.

The sticker is the limiting factor. Post those numbers and how much your vehicle weighs with everything that would be loaded in the truck if you were going camping.

Upgrades don’t change the rating unless done by a registered “up fitter” that can change your GVWR.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:12 PM   #3
Max23

Personally, I wouldn't pull that TT with that TV. My unit is lighter than yours and my f150 was not a comfortable pull. Would it do it? Yes. Was I over my payload and axle capacities? Yes if I put any water in it. Right at thos limits without. I upgraded to a 2500. Your Tahoe will undoubtedly have lower ratings than a 1/2 ton truck. But, without seeing stickers it's hard to say.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:32 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Is this a previous police vehicle? Do you know what that tow package consists of? I am assuming there is a 2" receiver at the back, does it have any weight specs on it? Is there a wiring harness back there for a trailer umbilical cable?

Out of the gate you need to know weights. Your Springdale has a gvwr of 7740lbs. and length of about 30' - that's more than a Tahoe, new or not, needs to be strapping on the back. That short wheelbase can't control that trailer if it gets out of hand. What does the sticker inside the driver door say your payload is (cargo carrying capacity)? Do you have the 4.8L or the 5.3L? What's the rear axle ratio (3.06/3.42/3.73?) and is it the 6 speed or 4 speed tranny?

Lots of questions I know but lots you need to know, along with us, to have any idea if there is a safe way to tow that trailer with that vehicle. What are you going to do for a brake controller? Tires are probably P rated car tires and suspension is for street ride vs towing a trailer. LOTS of things to consider.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
Dacheedah

Our last TT was a 25' and we tried to pull with my wife's tahoe and we weren't 20 miles when we turned around and got the truck. Even with a wdh properly set up, it just felt on the edge. It was "within" weight limits and the Tahoe has a tow package that pulls the tri toon fine.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, upgrade