Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2024, 03:39 AM   #1
Stevekatz

Toy hauler storage at campsites

Good morning all,

My wife and I are purchasing a 44 ft, RV, and will be pulling a 26 ft car trailer.
Do most campgrounds have storage on site for these trailers. We are a little worried that we will get to the sites and be turned away.
First time RV owners. Can someone share some insight on this.
Thanks,

Steve & Tracy
Stevekatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:33 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The best thing is to call ahead, not all campgrounds have the same rules and layout.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:22 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekatz View Post
Good morning all,

My wife and I are purchasing a 44 ft, RV, and will be pulling a 26 ft car trailer.
Do most campgrounds have storage on site for these trailers. We are a little worried that we will get to the sites and be turned away.
First time RV owners. Can someone share some insight on this.
Thanks,

Steve & Tracy
Two things to consider, that you don't mention.
1. Every state in the US has combined length limits for towing, and they are not universal across all 50 states, so you may want to do some checking about where you can legally go and where you shouldn't go if you are over the combined length. Being over whatever the length limit is for a particular state will subject you to the possibility of being stopped and possibly face a fine....or at the minimum, stay parked and move each unit separately.

2. Some states DO NOT all towing a trailer behind another trailer and is strictly forbidden. The one that do allow it will have their own regulations as far as overall length, requirement for towing that way, etc.

Personally, I would do some serious research (if you haven't already done so) to see what barriers you may or may not be facing....but 44' and 26' is already a long setup, and that's not even counting the tow vehicle....which could be another 22 maybe 23 feet long.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:10 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post

Personally, I would do some serious research (if you haven't already done so) to see what barriers you may or may not be facing....but 44' and 26' is already a long setup, and that's not even counting the tow vehicle....which could be another 22 maybe 23 feet long.
Vernon,

The OP's profile indicates he has a Entegra Aspire DP motorhome and his post indicates it's 44' long. So, towing a single 26' trailer behind that shouldn't enter into the triple towing area. That said, you're really "on point" regarding total rig length. Many states have a 65' maximum length. 44+26=70 and that doesn't include the hitch to connect the two. So, at over 65' total length, he won't be legal in all states.

OP: As for parking the 26' trailer when set up in a campground, some have pullthrough sites that can accommodate the combined length, some don't. Some will limit the site to only ONE RV and one additional vehicle, so you can't park the trailer "and the car inside it" if you use the car to travel around the area. If you leave it in the trailer, you may be required to park that trailer in a designated area, not on the campsite. And then there's the matter of space. Some campgrounds "barely have space for a 30' trailer without a tow vehicle, no way a 44' motorhome will fit in the site.

EVERY campground will be different and many campsites will have their own limitations, even if they are long enough for the motorhome or even for the entire rig. Things like "tight ramp into the site with limited space to back in" to trees or other obstacles in the way, to overhanging branches too tall for the motorhome, but OK for a travel trailer, to any number of "unique situations" found only at that one campsite... Sometimes the campground can switch you to another site, sometimes every other site is full and if you can't fit, then you may or may not get a refund as you leave the campground.

The best advice, I think, is to discuss this with the campground ownership/management when making reservations. That way there won't be any "unwelcome surprises" upon arrival. Not much equals the frustration of being turned away after dark when arriving late after a tough day of travel with no place to park except the side of a highway or a parking lot because you didn't "check to be sure there's enough space to park the trailer".....

Trust me when I say "That will only happen to you ONE TIME"... After that, you'll NEVER get caught that way again !!!!!

If your rig is "oversized" or if you have any specific concerns, it's always best to call the campground and ask the questions rather than "hope for the best"... That often gets you in a "pickle" at the worst times.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:11 AM   #5
notanlines

Curious what your 44’ ‘RV’ might be. Class A or fifth wheel?
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:25 AM   #6
Hblick48

I used to tow a car trailer behind my 33 foot motor home. Almost no park has a pull through long enough for the RV, trailer, and car (off the traier). Some parks have extra parking spaces where you can park the car trailer. Most charge extra for this space since you already have 2 vehicles in your site. Some parks don't have extra parking available, so you're SOL.

Best to confirm by phone before you book site.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:59 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Curious what your 44’ ‘RV’ might be. Class A or fifth wheel?
Read John's post right above your's. After my Mom passed away a number of years ago, my sister as a traveling nurse, roamed the country with her husband in a big Class A pusher and pulled a covered trailer behind. In it was a Mini-Cooper and two Harleys and she never had much problem getting into parts. She likely called prior to confirm the availability of parking for the trailer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:34 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

From kicking around with an RV I can say that you will be limited, very limited, in the sites and campgrounds you can get that much "stuff" into. Then there's the issue of towing. You live in FL; max total length of your "stuff" - RV, TV, car trailer, hitch etc. is 65' IIRC. Here in TX it's 65'. Many states are less and a very few are longer. There may be a couple of states that allow 75' but 44 + 26 +4 = 74'.....which makes you illegal in most states. If this is going to be a towable RV of 44' with a TV......I wouldn't even attempt it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:30 PM   #9
jasin1

Starting off really big for first time rv owners…kinda like someone deciding they want to get a full size pickup for the first time and skipping right over and going to a tractor trailer instead…..maybe you have some truck driving experience?

It will be a learning curve with just the 44 ft rv…add a 26 ft trailer and it’s gonna be a lot harder without any experience…I’d proceed with caution and definitely get a rv gps.

You could find yourself in a dead end road either at a campground or in some little neighborhood and have to learn quickly how to maneuver your way out of trouble.Id also subscribe to AllStays or Park Advisor or maybe RV trip wizard and look up and plan your route…then use Google earth to see the park from the air and from the road with all entrances
I’d do the same with places to fuel up although your probably relegated to truck stops…Bucees may work but they are a Cluster$&@$ to navigate thru from what i’ve experienced
Old 02-15-2024, 01:41 PM   #10
Ddaddyo

As a Retired Drag Racer I've pulled Car Trailers Thousands of miles. A guy we raced with got a Motor home for deluxe accommodation at the Race Track. First remark from him after Towing about 250 miles, "It takes a Real Man to drive that Rig". Seems a little Wind played a lot of Havoc driving it. You may be better off with a Tow Dolly.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:53 PM   #11
Beech50

Several people have chimed in about total vehicle length and some are mistaken so I found a complete listing for you. You will be legal in almost every state.

https://medium.com/@hureqihy/maximum...e-c5d944f9e851
Beech50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:22 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech50 View Post
Several people have chimed in about total vehicle length and some are mistaken so I found a complete listing for you. You will be legal in almost every state.

https://medium.com/@hureqihy/maximum...e-c5d944f9e851

That list is wrong. I looked at it before then pulled up the TX statutes; it's 65' not 75' - from TX code;

"Vehicle Combinations
Texas Transportation Code 621.205.

*A combination of not more than three vehicles, may be coupled together if the combination of vehicles, other than a truck-tractor combination, is not longer than 65 feet.

*A passenger car or another motor vehicle that has an unloaded weight of less than 2,500 pounds may not be coupled with more than one other vehicle or towing device at one time.

*A house trailer or towable recreational vehicle and motor vehicle combination may not be longer than 65 feet.

Note the 3rd bullet. There are many other discrepancies with that list...too many to try to list. The state statutes will tell you exactly what is, or is not, allowed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:38 PM   #13
Stevekatz

Thank you everyone for the valuable information. We will stick with flat tow vehicle.

Steve and Tracy Katz
Stevekatz is offline   Reply With Quote