Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
caberto

Rats

We have recently moved in to a new house with lots of trees and plants - but lots of old brush as well that we've been working on getting rid of. Since we've been working around the house the 5er has been sitting for a little while, and we now have rats (they were most likely already here in the brush and found a warmer home in the 5th wheel compartments; the house was vacant for 2 years).

We found out when we went in to have a look-over inside about a week ago since we're taking it out for the memorial day weekend, and found the slides wouldn't work. We went out to the battery compartment and found a nest, lots of rat droppings and chewed up wires. Flushed out one rat with the water hose from there and have since trapped another 3 rats outside, and removed one baby from the nose of the 5er. So far, we see no entry into the fiver itself, only the outside compartments (the nose by the pin and the battery compartment.

I was going to replace the wiring in the battery compartment myself, but also found chewed wire by the pin where it goes from the umbilical to a box then into the 5th wheel nose, so there is also damage inside the nose where I can't get to it. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow to a local dealer and hopefully have everything fixed by next Wednesday when we plan on leaving. They said they will be able to have it done. The dealer is close by, a few miles, so if they chewed through the brake wires, I can still get it there carefully and slowly via back roads.

We have since put out mothballs, peppermint oil, around the entry points, and think we have caught all the rats doing the damage. Our malamute hasn't chased out anymore rats from the bushes (which will be removed this weekend) though he continues to sniff around, and our traps have been empty in the morning for the last few days.

What else can I do, and what should I expect from the dealer? We've called our insurance company, and they indicate this will be covered by our policy should it go over our deductible amount, which I'm thinking it will.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks!
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
hankaye

caberto, Howdy;

Sorry about your visitors...
Have you looked all around the bottom of the RV???
Any small hole in the chloroplast is an invite to them.
One of the best Rat stoppers is 1/4" square Construction
mesh that is galvanized or something similar.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-...2#.UZLTEsTnYoM

Had a problem with toothy critters when I lived in rural SE Ohio.
and one of the neighbors tore down an old shead. My place was closer then his was ,

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
pjhansman

For Rent.....

MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
SteveC7010

If you can safely place poison baits somewhere around but outside of the trailer, it will help reduce the population in the general area. Be sure to also provide a water source for them to drink a short distance from the trailer. The poison in D-Con and similar products is an anticoagulant and creates a powerful thirst. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodifacoum

The baits should be located where children, birds, and other species besides rodents can not get to them. Same for the water and the carcasses.

We set D-Con in the trailer each fall when winterizing with no water source. The mice and rats will exit the trailer seeking water to drink.

It's an option that some folks may not want to do, but it can be very effective in controlling or eliminating rodent populations in the vicinity of your trailer storage site. We used D-Con to pretty much eliminate mice any where near our home in the country.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
GaryWT

Sorry to hear the news, hear a lot about mice but not rats, hope you get it all cleaned up in time. Good luck in clearing the yeard, hope it all works out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

WOW sorry to hear about the unwelcomed visitors. My 2 mutes are very stealthy hunters! no barking till they are right on a critter.they have done a great job keeping our 5er rodent free. Good luck getting yours ready to go have a great trip.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
For Rent.....

Almost spit my coffee all over the keyboard...

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
caberto

Thanks everyone!

PJ, that looks like one serious feline . Unfortunately, our three large dogs probably wouldn't take well to bringing in a cat.

Hank, that wire mesh sounds great and will definitely put that into use once they've redone all the wiring, along with expanding foam to seal up all the entry points.

We've been putting several bait traps every night around the area where our malamute has been finding them... we have caught four total, and for the last few days, the traps have been empty, so hopefully we've gotten them all.

Taking the 5er in today to the dealer at lunch. Hooked it up last night. None of the outside lights work (inside lights still work fine), the retractable legs don't work (had to manually raise the legs), but the brakes appear to work, so that's good.
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
hankaye

caberto, Howdy;

When you do the expanding foam try mixing some '0' or
'00' steel wool into the mix. Thy hate to floss with that stuff...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
caberto, Howdy;

When you do the expanding foam try mixing some '0' or
'00' steel wool into the mix. Thy hate to floss with that stuff...

hankaye
Steel wool will rust, if you can find it, copper wool or brass wool will not stain the RV is it gets wet and rust starts, but some kind of "metal filings" will definitely help deter chewing the foam.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote