Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
KevM_HighCountry

Double Towing

I have a 34' 2013 Montana High Country and was wondering if anyone knew the weight limit on the back bumper in order to tow a trailer?
KevM_HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM_HighCountry View Post
I have a 34' 2013 Montana High Country and was wondering if anyone knew the weight limit on the back bumper in order to tow a trailer?
If it were up to me, I wouldn't be towing anything that is only connected to an unreinforced rear bumper. If you plan is to attach at ball/hitch directly to the back bumper then I would urge you not to follow through with this idea.

Some members have attached a receiver hitch to the RV frame - either by welding and/or bolting it on - to carry bike racks, a generator platform or some similar items.

I believe that 200 lbs is the figure that has been used as a limit of weight for the back bumper but that is not meant to be interpreted as "tongue" weight.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

HI IS THE HITCH REALLY ATTACHED TO THE BUMPER? IF IT IS TOW AIR!! Please check if it is a factory hitch as is on mine it is attached to the frame and it is a 1 1/4 inch reciver. that can tow something light with out brakes. I tired it towing a small trailer and a golf cart. got a few miles on the highway and got off and went home. the only thing i put in the hitch is a platform that only hold 500 lbs. I do put a high price on safety I just did not like the way it felt once i got over 50. but i have never retired it with a better trailer with a stiffer frame. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
rschad

Apart from the technical issues, there is also the issue of whether it is legal to tow 2 trailers in tandem. In many provinces this is not legal except by commercial trucks with restrictions in others it is okay. I would think one should check the rules in each state or province you are going to travel in or you might end up with a fine and having to unhitch and leave the second unit. There are also overall length restrictions to consider.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I was under the impression that east-coast states did not allow double towing. I have also heard that it is legal in some with a fifth-wheel. This is from Florida state website:... a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet.
........ unless buried in the rest of the double talk is an exemption even if it is legal it would be hard to stay under the 65 Foot limit double towing.

>>>>>>> All that said, if you do be sure the hitch is properly attached to the FRAME of the trailer and not the bumper.

Above quote is from F.S. 316.515(3)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

None of the websites I've seen that list towing regulations state that double towing is legal in Florida. Each of them, without exception, say that a single trailer may be towed in Florida and the total length may not exceed 65'. Every time I've been to Florida, I've seen fifth wheels triple towing anything from 4 wheelers, golf carts or boats. Whether the Florida authorities simply ignore the laws, look the other way for "out of staters" or people are just ignoring the law and paying the fines when stopped is a question I can't answer.

I triple tow a F250, a 30' fifth wheel and a 17.5' boat. My total length is 73'. Previously I towed a F150 supercab, 26' fifth wheel and the same boat. My total length was 66' with the motor tilted for travel. I was "barely legal" with the motor down, but I wouldn't tow that way because of the likelihood of damaging my lower unit. With my experience, if you've got a 34' fifth wheel, you won't be able to tow a trailer much bigger than a flatbed 5x8 without exceeding the 65' limit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Besides the no 2 trailer towing oregon also has the 65 ft max length for combo of the 2 vehicles. The towed vehicle(trailer) max length 45ft. Some of the motorhomes pulling race car trailers are longer but, never read or heard anyone has been cited.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Barbell

Our '14 Montana 3100 RL came with no rear bumper at all. We were told that anything attached to the rear of the trailer would void the warranty. I did bolt two pieces of angle iron to the frame rails and a receiver tube to them, but I only use it for a bicycle rack. Two bikes and the rack don't weigh 100 #, so I don't see a problem. Besides, the warranty is only for one year anyway.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Double check everything underneath. I've seen a lot of class III receiver hitches welded to the frames as well as the bumper, the bumper is just for good measure the frame is the real strength in the hitch.

As for Florida, most states will go with the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered, but I did have some friends get stopped in Florida a few years back. They were made to unhitch, take their 5th wheel to their location and come back for the boat. Don't remember them getting a fine. If I remember correctly, they had about 200 miles to go and spent the day leap frogging with the trailers about 50 miles at a time.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I will only speak for Oregon since I know it, no double trailers allowed unless comm vehicles, CDL, air brakes, etc. But, yes people do try the cite is unlawful vehicle combination or worse depending if the cop thinks it's unsafe( such as sway, no brakes on last trailer etc.)
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Lost

Last year I did some research on this and found that most states have different laws. I was planning on towing my 3,000lb 19' boat behind my 36' 5th wheel when we start going to FL. in the winter but changed my mind. In Michigan you can tow doubles from a 5th wheel only (not a trailer). They just changed the law to 75' max (most states are 65' max). The hitch must be welded to the frame. You must have a recreational doubles license. Weather we could make it to FL. legally I don't know but I'm not taking the chance. We now plan on taking another vehicle to tow the boat.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
St1097

Florida state statute 316.515

I'm currently a Trooper in Florida, here is the Statute governing towed vehicles

(3) LENGTH LIMITATION.—Except as otherwise provided in this section, length limitations apply solely to a semitrailer or trailer, and not to a truck tractor or to the overall length of a combination of vehicles. No combination of commercial motor vehicles coupled together and operating on the public roads may consist of more than one truck tractor and two trailing units. Unless otherwise specifically provided for in this section, a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet, inclusive of the load carried thereon, but exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a truck tractor-semitrailer combination engaged in the transportation of automobiles or boats may transport motor vehicles or boats on part of the power unit; and, except as may otherwise be mandated under federal law, an automobile or boat transporter semitrailer may not exceed 50 feet in length, exclusive of the load; however, the load may extend up to an additional 6 feet beyond the rear of the trailer. The 50-feet length limitation does not apply to non-stinger-steered automobile or boat transporters that are 65 feet or less in overall length, exclusive of the load carried thereon, or to stinger-steered automobile or boat transporters that are 75 feet or less in overall length, exclusive of the load carried thereon. For purposes of this subsection, a “stinger-steered automobile or boat transporter” is an automobile or boat transporter configured as a semitrailer combination wherein the fifth wheel is located on a drop frame located behind and below the rearmost axle of the power unit. Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), any straight truck or truck tractor-semitrailer combination engaged in the transportation of horticultural trees may allow the load to extend up to an additional 10 feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, provided said trees are resting against a retaining bar mounted above the truck bed so that the root balls of the trees rest on the floor and to the front of the truck bed and the tops of the trees extend up over and to the rear of the truck bed, and provided the overhanging portion of the load is covered with protective fabric. Stay safe!!
St1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

ST1097, I have a question. Are the UNITS only trailers or any vehicle when it says 2 units coupled together. Here we do not use that term. On roads there are motor vehicles and vehicles (ie trailers) which is anything pulled/pushed/drawn/carried by a motor vehicle. It sounds like your states name for our states name of vehicle. Just asking.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
St1097

Ken/Claudia, here in Florida a trailer is classified as a vehicle and then you have your motor vehicle ( car/truck). The term "units" relates to both vehicle and motor vehicle. It prevents the truck, trailer, trailer combination. I hope this helps. I would rather try and help now than somebody get caught up in something that cost $$$$$ or aggravation.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Thanks, I understand. I point out laws on here also to help keep others out of trouble. I really can only speak for the laws in Oregon and how they are applied here.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
St1097

Ken / Claudia, it's all about having fun and being safe. I try and help as much as possible too. Stay safe!

Tags
double towing, towing capacity