Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
charlie.leverett

Dual A/C's - Trying to Keep Cool In Texas

I just purchased the Montana 3750 and here in my area (TX) the temp has been in the 100 + range for some time, it has dual A/C's but i still can only get the inside temp down to mid 80's during the hotter periods of each day, any suggestion or is something wrong?

(Moderator's Note: This and following 3 posts have been moved from New Member Welcome to Keystone Questions)
charlie.leverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
LarryL

I think A/C will only cool 10 degrees below outside temp so your like to
to have 80 degrees.
if you go outside for a few minites and go back inside it will feel much
cooler
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to say it but a 20° differential in a trailer without shade is just about normal. You can try getting it cooler in the early morning and hope it holds temp a little better. Keep cool, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Me.Bikes.Dogs

If the temperature difference between the intake air and outflow is 15 degrees or better, your units are doing the best they can. Finding a shady camping spot is about the best thing you can do now.

If you search this board, you'll also find some threads on retaping your A/C ducts. That can help a little. Makes the existing units a little more efficient.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
DocData757

Using fans in addition to the AC will help a lot.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Rock7

I got insulation, From Camping World last year. Cut it to fit the windows and helped a lot in Az last summer.
It looks like aluminum with ins. sandwiched and sewn like a quilt. Cut to fit windows,and it stops a lot of sun. and heat.
Works well in the cold also.
They carry 2 different size rolls. Larger one fits big windows in Slide-out and across the back.
I think I had to buy two large rolls, and a small one.
Measure the windows,footage is on rolls
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
fivergeezer

I have a similar problem in Florida's heat and sunshine. I've used the foil window treatment but my wife doesn't like the dark cave-like atmosphere. I'm thinking window awnings and slide toppers, but finances won't allow this until next spring.
fivergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

fivergeezer -
I remember reading an article about slide toppers and their effectiveness in keeping the RV's interior cooler in hot weather. If my memory serves me correctly - which may be asking a lot) - slide toppers do little, if anything, to keep the inside temperature down. Unfortunately, I can't give you any factual reference but perhaps others can. If you are going to purchase toppers for the sole purpose of keeping the inside temps down, it might be worthwhile to do some research to find out if, in fact, they actually do work this way.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.leverett View Post
I just purchased the Montana 3750 and here in my area (TX) the temp has been in the 100 + range for some time, it has dual A/C's but i still can only get the inside temp down to mid 80's during the hotter periods of each day, any suggestion or is something wrong?
The max. input/output temp differential for A/C units is around 15 degrees but that doesn't mean that the max temp differential between inside and out can never be more than 15 degrees. That said, the heat load on an RV on the sun is very high and it is not at all unusual for dual A/C's being unable to keep up in extreme conditions (which virtually defines Texas in the summer ) About all you can do is take some steps as described in the thread, and start up early in the day so you don't get too far behind the curve.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote