Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Terry W.

Landing Gear Won't Start by switch

2012 keystone Avalanche after camper sits for a week or so landing gear will not extend with switch just a ratchet sound. I have to turn manual crank while my wife holds swith in extend. Then works for a while till it sits again.
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
2012 keystone Avalanche after camper sits for a week or so landing gear will not extend with switch just a ratchet sound. I have to turn manual crank while my wife holds swith in extend. Then works for a while till it sits again.
Sounds like a stripped gear. You'll probably want to eyeball them if you can. They are at the top of each landing gear post.

Also, it's been mentioned here before, but if you raise them too high when retracting you can damage them. Most folks put a mark on the post about an inch before they hit the top. If you stop it at the mark, you never jam the gears against their upper limit or strain the motor and other parts.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
smiller

Most likely one leg or the other is jammed by being raised too high. They are supposed to be adjusted so that the release clutch (probably the ratchet sound you are hearing) operates before they run out of travel, but sometimes (if they are not set up properly, which is very common) the opposite occurs and the travel limit of the leg is reached before the clutch operates, jamming the gears. Usually the offending leg can be disassembled and freed (a nasty and messy job) and then adjusted properly, or probably better yet (meaning more fail-safe) is to do as suggested above and place a paint mark just before the fully retracted point and use that as a guide as to when to stop. On a new unit I would consider this a warranty repair as it wouldn't have happened if everything had been set up properly in the factory, hopefully your dealer will agree.

Edit: Ooops, sorry, I didn't read your post properly... since you can extend them manually then either the overrun clutch is failing or you have stripped a gear.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

You might want to check to see if your battery is fully charged after sitting for awhile. Connect TV and leave it running for some time. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote