Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
FPS

Remote Works, Switches DOn't

I have a 2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS. The two slides, the awning and the landing gear do not work with their associated manual switches. Fortunately, they all work with the remote. Wondering if there is a fuse or circuit breaker I haven't found or if it is the (expensive looking) control board mounted near the battery. Thanks for any help. FPS
FPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPS View Post
I have a 2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS. The two slides, the awning and the landing gear do not work with their associated manual switches. Fortunately, they all work with the remote. Wondering if there is a fuse or circuit breaker I haven't found or if it is the (expensive looking) control board mounted near the battery. Thanks for any help. FPS
Control board is for the remotes near the battery.
Do you have the rocker switches or the electronic ones?
The service panels with electronic ones have had many problems.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
FPS

The rocker arms.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The remote control unit should be in the forward battery compartment (passenger side) mounted to the front bulkhead. I had a problem with mine, one of the "safety relays" on the board overheated and shorted out. They are supposed to prevent damage to the motors in the slides/awning/landing gear if you use the remote and switches at the same time. Anyway, when that relay (it's one of the small white boxes on the board) stopped working, all power from the manual switches stopped working. The landing gear, awning, slides would not function from the control panel inside the trailer or the gear switch on the front of the trailer. The only way to operate any of the features was to use the remote.

The dealership repaired it by replacing the entire remote control unit.

You may have the same issue. If you look at those small white squares (boxes) on the remote unit in the front compartment, the one toward the bottom in the center may look slightly burned (brownish) and swollen. If so, you probably need the same replacement as I did. I believe the relay that burned was makred "F8" but I might be wrong about that.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
FPS

Thanks, for the replies. Trying to trace wiring leads me back to that board. I was hoping for something simpler, but it looks like I'll be going back to the dealer who was really slow the last time we had a problem and we've got a trip planned in a couple of weeks. Guess we'll have to wait until we get back for a final resolution. Thanks again, for the replies.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The board runs about $400 and installation (even though it's about a 15 minute job) runs another $100+. If you're not ready to spend that kind of money and have no real need for the remote control, you can "jumper past" the remote by moving 2 connectors on the current board. If you're inclined to do that, let me know and I'll take pictures/explain how to bypass the remote so the switches work.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
FPS

I was looking at the board and wondering if I could jumper past the problem, but I should repeat: the remote controller is working; it's the manual switches that don't. I'm looking for an alternative control to the remote in case something goes wrong with it before we can have the board replaced and yes I have a new battery on hand. Guidance and pictures appreciated. This is my first time on a forum. Is that something you can post here? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
FPS

JRTJH, I didn't read your post carefully. The fix will enable switches and disable remote. That's great. I can continue using remote and do the fix if the remote fails before I get the board replaced. Looking forward to seeing fix. FPS
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Very simple to do. Look at the picture and be sure your board is the same as mine (it should be)....

Along the bottom, you'll see 4 wires, a pair of black/white on the left side of the white relay and a pair on the right side of the relay.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY !!!! and take the wires from the right side (where my finger is pointing) and put them on the wires on the left side (black to black and white to white). That will "bypass the remote control" and allow the manual switches to operate. On mine, the hand held remote control still worked as well. The dealer's "guru" for remotes seems puzzled by that, but explained that I should NEVER push a manual switch while the remote control is being operated with the wires connected together. He explained that the relay between them switches from one (manual) to the other (remote) or vice versa and prevents the motors from having two inputs, possibly one saying UP and one saying DOWN which could damage the motors.

I hope this helps some, and it should give you an "out" if your remote should go on the fritz......

Good Luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROL BOARD 1 (2).jpg
Views:	457
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	7088   Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROL BOARD 1 (4).jpg
Views:	491
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	7089  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
FPS

Can't believe my first time on a forum and I get the perfect reply so quickly. Wondering how much time I could have saved in the past if I'd gone to a forum instead of puzzling things out myself. My previous RV, a Coachman Travel Trailer, came with better documentation and better access to various components and it was easier to resolve problems myself. Thanks again for the quick response. Fred
Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
SkiSmuggs

I have the same problem with my 2012 Cougar High Country. It looks like this should work for me also as my board is similar, but has additional wires on the blank side of this one.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #12
SkiSmuggs

My dealer quoted $831 to fix this. I cancelled the visit. Research showed the part from Keystone to be $530, but the part matched and verified by LCI at the LCI (Lippert) store was $328, so I will order as a backup in case of total failure, but do the work around patch from JRTJH for now. $500 saved.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #13
SkiSmuggs

I have winterized my fiver, but wanted to run the awning out to dry before putting "boss bottle covers" on the ends. I forgot that my rocker switches weren't working and pressed the one to extend the awning and it worked! Whatever the glitch was had fixed itself since I last tried it in October. The down side is that it is now snowing, so the awning isn't drying.