Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #41
Trent McCain

For pulling I wouldn't trade our diesel, I thought about going back to a gasser, but my dealer says I'll hate it, and he's probably right. But like I said I bought this truck as a luxury because I wanted it. I'm afraid if I went back to gas, I'd be disappointed the first time I hook the trailer eventhough we are weekend camper as best. Something to remember...when I was a young kid back in the late 80's early 90's you couldn't hardly give a diesel away...even when fuel was cheaper. All the guys that were serious about pulling had 460 Fords and 454 Chevrolets with 4:10's to 4.56 gears. That's what our family pulled with (Ford 460) until the first diesel in '02. Everyone was tickled they could pass everything but a gas station....but nobody cared. We all got there and made it home. I still contend a diesel is a luxury....and I don't want to go with out it. But I'll still wear out a "beater" over an expensive diesel truck anytime. If you're going to use it as a drive, I recommend finding a pre-emission truck. I know when I run my emissions motor Kenworths on short hauls, we usually have it in the shop shortly thereafter for emissions equipment issues ( they don't get worked hard enough to regenerate on their own) I guess I use the same logic with my F350. And I'm sorry, I don't enjoy wasting extra time or fuel to drive around to clean the DPF filter because I drove it on a short trip. This is why I will maintain my position. I'm not criticizing anyone who doesn't agree....I'm not spending your money, so can't comment what you do with it.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #42
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Brent and Javi:

I thought I was alone concerning the seasonal operation of diesel pickups. Nice to know others agree. I do like my El Camino, though.
Ha-ha.. soccer moms drive diesels duallys' as grocery getters down here...
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #43
Desert185

Trent:

My diesel doesn't have DEF or DPF...thankfully.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #44
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Ha-ha.. soccer moms drive diesels duallys' as grocery getters down here...
I love the Texas mentality.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #45
Trent McCain

Quote:
Trent:

My diesel doesn't have DEF or DPF...thankfully.
You're a much happier camper for that. I've had all the parts to delete our 6.4 for some time but was waiting for the warranty to end. It ended last July and I haven't gotten around to installing the deletes yet. We've only got 55K on the truck so it ran out on time. every time I have to drive "extra" miles to clean the DPF I think I should get the deletes done, but then I park it until the next time I need it...hopefully before camping season in the spring I'll get around to it. Not sure on the light duty pickups, but on my Cummins equipped KW's the DPF/DOC and their related components are very expensive...and I've replaced emissions equipment on both trucks already (I ordered them new) thankfully warranty has covered most of it. Another reason to delete the 6.4 but keep the parts just incase I need to return it to stock.

Trent
Old 11-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #46
bsmith0404

Quote:
Brent and Javi:

I thought I was alone concerning the seasonal operation of diesel pickups. Nice to know others agree. I do like my El Camino, though.
My diesel is for driving/towing/getting groceries/taking family trips/whatever I need it for. The only seasonal vehicle I have is my vette, and that's not a temp thing, it's road conditions.

Thankfully the Dmax isn't designed the same as the Ford. When it goes into regen you can shut it down and it just picks back up where it left off the next time you drive. In over 100k miles driven in new LMLs, I've never seen a message telling me to drive to clean the filter. I just notice a drop in fuel mileage when it goes into regen. The only issue I have ever had with the system is the #2 NoX sensor went bad, but replaced under warranty.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:43 AM   #47
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
My diesel is for driving/towing/getting groceries/taking family trips/whatever I need it for. The only seasonal vehicle I have is my vette, and that's not a temp thing, it's road conditions.

Thankfully the Dmax isn't designed the same as the Ford. When it goes into regen you can shut it down and it just picks back up where it left off the next time you drive. In over 100k miles driven in new LMLs, I've never seen a message telling me to drive to clean the filter. I just notice a drop in fuel mileage when it goes into regen. The only issue I have ever had with the system is the #2 NoX sensor went bad, but replaced under warranty.
Y'all got a misconception about the Ford (at least the 6.7) when you get the drive to clean notice you do not have to keep driving. It will stop the process when you stop or the RPM falls below 1000 for more than a few seconds and it will pick back up when the motor reaches operating temps again if it is needed. The DPF and DEF systems ain't that big of a deal, just drive the darn things and the only real difference in operations is that the new motors shouldn't be idled for long periods.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #48
Eric91Z

Thanks for all the input and opinions. It is appreciated. We are working on making changes that should help in the long run, including letting my keep my Impala for commuting and adding the truck as a tow vehicle that will have its own garage space for storage when not in use.

Given that and not wanting to worry about what we are towing behind us, really leaning towards a diesel. Now, SRW or DRW...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #49
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Y'all got a misconception about the Ford (at least the 6.7) when you get the drive to clean notice you do not have to keep driving. It will stop the process when you stop or the RPM falls below 1000 for more than a few seconds and it will pick back up when the motor reaches operating temps again if it is needed. The DPF and DEF systems ain't that big of a deal, just drive the darn things and the only real difference in operations is that the new motors shouldn't be idled for long periods.
So basically the same as the GM, we just don't get a message telling us when it's happening....if you monitor EGTs and fuel mileage, you know.

Agree 100% on the new systems, I think they're getting bad rap from a lot of people who don't own/drive them. I remember when I was looking at a new 2010, the dealer warned me to "buy now, the 2011s are going to have this other system and going to be a nightmare". The only thing he was right about was that the 2011s having the system.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #50
pawpaw

In the "cow pasture" subdivision I live in I'm the only one with a gas powered pickup. Ford and Chevy diesels make up the rest. When they're not hauling camping trailers they haul cattle and hay trailers. Not too many soccer moms back here!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #51
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
So basically the same as the GM, we just don't get a message telling us when it's happening....if you monitor EGTs and fuel mileage, you know.

Agree 100% on the new systems, I think they're getting bad rap from a lot of people who don't own/drive them. I remember when I was looking at a new 2010, the dealer warned me to "buy now, the 2011s are going to have this other system and going to be a nightmare". The only thing he was right about was that the 2011s having the system.
There have been issues that may be nightmares to some. With complication comes inconvenience and the expense of resolution (probably by dealer) and initial purchase (DPF and DEF equipment are not free with the truck), plus the ongoing expense of purchasing DEF at a rate of 1-3% of the fuel mileage. I just don't want to deal with it and am grateful I have the option to personally control the "trend" in my favor.

This is just one example of what one can find when Googling DPF and/or DEF:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/a...#__federated=1
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #52
danisr1

I have the exact truck the OP was looking at (2015 HD2500 LTZ Z71 6.6) and I love the thing.

The DEF is no big deal. I wish they had an actual gauge to tell you the level but I have 12k on my truck and have only filled it once.

I live in FL so the cold weather isn't an issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #53
Javi

Just as a note.. Currently I'm getting just north of 2200 miles per gallon of DEF on average. At a cost of $2.79 per gallon that is an expense of roughly .001269036 of a cent per mile... I'm not thinking I'll go broke just because I use DEF...

I have heard stories of folks getting 1000 MPG of DEF when hauling a big TH on a daily basis, but I've not seen that with my usage.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #54
bsmith0404

Quote:
There have been issues that may be nightmares to some. With complication comes inconvenience and the expense of resolution (probably by dealer) and initial purchase (DPF and DEF equipment are not free with the truck), plus the ongoing expense of purchasing DEF at a rate of 1-3% of the fuel mileage. I just don't want to deal with it and am grateful I have the option to personally control the "trend" in my favor.

This is just one example of what one can find when Googling DPF and/or DEF:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/a...#__federated=1
Actually all of those problems in that write up/forum were probably the NoX sensor. It took them a while to figure it all out. They used to change DEF tanks and everything else based on a progressive diagnostic plan, now they know it's mainly the NoX and they go straight to them. As with any new system they went through growing pains, but I don't see it as a reason to avoid them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #55
LittleJoe

The trucks using the emission systems that require DEF will get higher mpg than trucks using emission systems that do not eg: 07.5-12 Rams, 08-10 GM and Not really sure on Fords......

The increase in mileage will much more than pay for DEF needed and the lower percentage of EGR will help your engine last longer.

You can delete others to help out here but it is illegal to do and illegal to sell. I know they run better and get better mileage, but not worth the risk in my area.

2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #56
notanlines

Javi is on the money. About 1 to 1.5 cents per mile is what we figure. With all the other troubles this activity of RVing brings, why complicate things by screwing with the factory settings on your truck?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #57
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Javi is on the money. About 1 to 1.5 cents per mile is what we figure. With all the other troubles this activity of RVing brings, why complicate things by screwing with the factory settings on your truck?
Have to agree with the above. DEF doesn't cost enough to worry about and after 35,000 miles there is NO soot on the inside of the tailpipe.
BTW - the best reason to not alter, modify, remove, or delete the smog equipment on my Ford is because I don't like being able to see the air that I breathe. JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #58
Trent McCain

The increase of 1-2 mpg with DEF is what we see on our trucks. We have the '09 Navistar diesel and my folks have a '11 with the Ford diesel that they ordered new. Both trucks are F350 4x4's with 3:55's, the folks will average 1-2 mpg better than I do loaded or empty. The DEF isn't a big deal on these trucks. I wish I had bought a used '11+ instead of the '09. That said we really like the what we have, and it tows beautiful...for the limited amount I use it, I can't justify trading one that's paid for just to gain a little fuel mileage. The '11 is a more refined package and if I had one I wouldn't consider 'deleting" it as it runs well without as many regens. When I ordered my Kenworths new, I purposely ordered before 2011 as I didn't want the added expense of DEF and the uncertainty that would come with it. It looks like it's better system.

Trent
Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #59
Javi

I've been driving diesel pickups since '83 and hands down the new ones beat anything from previous years for towing and fuel mileage. That said... fuel mileage, while not at the bottom of the list... is not my primary reason for driving a diesel or for driving a "new" diesel.

When I started looking for a new truck to replace the '11 F-150 I mistakenly thought would be a good compromise between a "grandkids" hauler and a TV I looked at many things.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #60
Desert185

Well, mine came without DPF, DEF, EGR (as far as I know) or a cat. Guess I'll just have to live with an uncomplicated 20-21 MPG (hand computed, because the computer is inaccurate) on a truck I can work on. I may be set in my ways, but I earned it by being flexible my entire working life.

Retired 23 days, and loving it.