Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
vanillagorilla

2014 303bhssr adding a ladder

wanted to see if anybody has added a ladder the rear of their travel trailer. it would be nice to have one when we are on the road and need to get up top to sweep off or clean. it is a drag having to take a ladder.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
GaryWT

I have not bit I would guess that if you could locate the studs and the run top to bottom you would be good to go. I have never been on the roof and do not carry a ladder, have not needed one. Even if I was 100% positive I could go up there! I would be afraid that I would still do damage some how. Generally if sweeping is needed I let the wind do it on the highway.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

A number of people have contacted Keystone about installing ladders on their RV's. In all the cases, Keystone has indicated that if the RV frame was built with the proper bracing to support a ladder, then one could be installed. If the RV frame was not built with the proper support, then a ladder could not be installed. That framework varies from brand to brand and from model to model.

You might want to contact Keystone Customer Service at (866) 425-4369 and ask the question about your specific model. You might want to have the VIN available when you call.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
mamawildbear

Periodic resealing appears to be necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I have not bit I would guess that if you could locate the studs and the run top to bottom you would be good to go. I have never been on the roof and do not carry a ladder, have not needed one. Even if I was 100% positive I could go up there! I would be afraid that I would still do damage some how. Generally if sweeping is needed I let the wind do it on the highway.
From the Keystone RV Owner's Manual:
"Other than periodic washing, the rubber roof material itself does not require maintenance or coatings. However, be advised that any attachment, seams or joints in the rubber roof requires maintenance often!"

and

"The TPO roof will not rust or corrode and is very strong and durable. Other than periodic washing, the rubber roof material itself does not require maintenance or coatings. However, be advised that any attachment, seams or joints in the rubber roof requires maintenance often! Alpha products must be used on a unit with the Alpha system. These items can be obtained from your dealership."

and

"Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed."

I'm trying to figure out whether my camper has a rubber or a TPO roof, but in either case it appears that they expect the seals to require frequent maintenance. It would seem that you need to get on your roof a few times a year just for that.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post

I'm trying to figure out whether my camper has a rubber or a TPO roof, but in either case it appears that they expect the seals to require frequent maintenance. It would seem that you need to get on your roof a few times a year just for that.
A TPO roof feels like plastic, is pebbled, shiny and less pliable.

EPDM is less shiny ( a dull white), softer to the touch, more of a rubbery feel and more pliable.

Dicor makes a special sealant for TPO roofs -- I believe it is called 'Ultra Sealant" and is applied slightly differently than the regular Dicor self-leveling sealant. It comes in two parts - a cleaner/primer which is applied first (after the area is thoroughly cleaned) followed by the Ultra Sealant.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Ecell76

I actually just did this to my trailer. I talked to my dealer and they called Keystone while I sat there. Keystone confirmed that my trailer did have the backing points for a ladder and that a factory ladder was available. The dealer ordered the ladder for me and installed it. I was able to avoid shipping costs on the ladder as dealer arranged to have the ladder transported in a new RV that was being delivered for their inventory. All told it cost me just over $250 to add the ladder.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
mamawildbear

Ug! $250 for a ladder. I was thinking one would be nice for roof maintenance. However at that cost, I'll just do my maintenance while at home with a house ladder. I guess the only risk is if you need a roof repair while traveling. I suppose that is relatively rare. I do think a ladder would be super convenient but on the other hand, with adventurous kids... maybe better not to have one.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post
Ug! $250 for a ladder. I was thinking one would be nice for roof maintenance. However at that cost, I'll just do my maintenance while at home with a house ladder. I guess the only risk is if you need a roof repair while traveling. I suppose that is relatively rare. I do think a ladder would be super convenient but on the other hand, with adventurous kids... maybe better not to have one.
It's not really that "difficult" to get on the roof while travelling. If you back the truck alongside the trailer, you can easily step into the truck bed, then onto the bed siderail and then easily climb onto the slide roof and subsequently onto the trailer roof. While a ladder is a "nice idea" it's not a requirement.

"Improvise" is the key to camping ease, you'll be amazed at how much you can do with what you have onhand (if you think about how to best use what you have)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
vanillagorilla

my reasoning was if I needed to get on the roof while traveling it would be there. also the campground in steinhatchee,fl I keep my TT at in the upcoming months I have a lot of leaves and other small debris that gets on top. it stops up the gutters and also would like to be able to sweep off the slides before I close them when leaving. just be more of a convenience to have 1.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Contact Keystone and ask, that's probably your best bet. I'd think that the Springdale eastern models aren't braced for ladders, but I would check with the factory to be sure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS