Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
mavagrand

Leak in new trailer...

..actually two leaks. Noticed the left window in the master bedroom was leaking. There is an occasional drop of water running down the wall and onto the carpet. It appears to be coming from under the frame of the window, which makes me think the window is not sealed properly allowing water in at the top which then works its way around the frame and out the bottom. If so, I wonder about the wall board, if that is getting any damage. I also have water on the floor on the left side, just underneath the slide. The trailer is not level and the water was beginning to run into the master bedroom. Probably a cup full. Just got this camper Saturday, I hope this is not indicative of the quality. Back to the dealer.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
sagebel

What make/model do you have? It helps folks doing research when preparing to buy. Let us know how well the dealer handles everything.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
mavagrand

Sorry about that. Its a 2015 Keystone Laredo 299BH. Bought it at Lazydays in Seffner, Florida. This is my second camper from them, both times the buying experience has been great. Hopefully, the service is the same.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
ctpd814

I'm not sure what type windows you have. I had a leak on a couple of my small windows that are in the ends of my slides. It turned out to be plugged up drain holes. Look at the outside of the frames on the bottom. There may be a thin opening about 1 to 2 inches long. Make sure these are clear. Again it depends on the type of window if you have these drains.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd814 View Post
I'm not sure what type windows you have. I had a leak on a couple of my small windows that are in the ends of my slides. It turned out to be plugged up drain holes. Look at the outside of the frames on the bottom. There may be a thin opening about 1 to 2 inches long. Make sure these are clear. Again it depends on the type of window if you have these drains.
This is one of those emergency windows with the red handle. I'm wondering if there's not enough tension to properly seal, it doesn't take a lot of force to latch the red handle. I'll check those drains when I get home, thanx for the tip.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
AM1958

Just a thought... Have you crossed condensation off the list?
AM1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

On my previous fifth wheel, on one of the slide side windows, the butyl tape was installed "starting at the top" rather than at the bottom. Where the two ends met, there was about a 1/4" gap and water would run into and under the butyl tape and out along the baseboard along the slide floor.

I pulled the window, cleaned off all the old butyl and replaced it, starting at the center bottom. It never leaked again.

It didn't start leaking at first, the RV was about 3 years old when we started noticing the damp carpet along the inner edge of the slide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM1958 View Post
Just a thought... Have you crossed condensation off the list?
Too much water for condensation. It's also coming out from UNDER the frame; can't see how condensation would get there. I'll check though. It was dark last night when I discovered the leak.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
mavagrand

Think I found the problem. The window has a two piece aluminum frame with a seam on the outside edge. You'd think the frame would be installed where the seam would be on the bottom, it's not, it was on the side. As I was wetting the window down with a water hose, wife was inside and saw a drop of water slowly weep thru the seam and begin running down the inside of the frame. I applied silicone sealant to all the windows that had that seam. Hope it worked.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
mavagrand

Looked around the slide and couldn't find any obvious problems. It appeared to be pulled tight against the camper, all the gaskets looked tight so I don't know. It was raining hard and windy so I'm wondering if it was just due to rain getting blown in. The camper is not completely level, would that affect the seal on the slide?
Old 03-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
Glenn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On my previous fifth wheel, on one of the slide side windows, the butyl tape was installed "starting at the top" rather than at the bottom. Where the two ends met, there was about a 1/4" gap and water would run into and under the butyl tape and out along the baseboard along the slide floor.

I pulled the window, cleaned off all the old butyl and replaced it, starting at the center bottom. It never leaked again.

It didn't start leaking at first, the RV was about 3 years old when we started noticing the damp carpet along the inner edge of the slide.
How did you pull the window out? Are there screws? It's been raining hard all day and we have two windows leaking. One in the bedroom slide and the other is an emergency window at the rear of the RV in the kitchen.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Windows are held in by the inside flange. You will see numerous screws around the outer perimeter of the window on the inside.

Removing all the screws will allow you to remove the window and do your seal repair.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go inside your RV, pull the curtains back and out of the way, you'll find a trim ring around the window. This ring is held in place with a number (often more than 20) screws through the trim ring and into the actual window.

To remove the window, remove the screws and pull the trim ring away from the window opening. Have someone standing outside the RV supporting the window and push along the edges. As you push, the window will start to separate from the trailer sidewall. Eventually, it will be completely free and you'll be able to remove it to an area where you can work on it. Often it is very difficult to break the sealant/window/sidewall bond, but at times, the window will just fall away from the opening (depending on the strength of the sealant) so make sure someone is supporting the window so that it won't fall onto the ground when you remove the last few trim ring screws.

It's not hard to do and once you look at the inside of the window, it becomes pretty clear how it's assembled.

You will have to remove the window lambrequin (coverings). They are held in place with a couple of screws either straight up into the bottom of the overhead cabinets or through the fabric and into the trailer sidewall. Look for them, feel for them, you'll find them. On standard windows there are two screws, on larger windows there are 3 or possibly 4 screws holding the lambrequin in place. It must be removed to access the top trim ring screws on almost every window I've removed.

Sorry Chuck, I was typing my response (much more wordy than yours) while you answered the question LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
Glenn54

Thanks. When this rain stops, I will remove these windows and attempt a repair. Are there any parts, seals that I will need? Or just use silicone?
Old 03-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

DON' USE SILICONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a camper supply store and buy a roll of butyl putty tape. If you don't have a store handy, you can buy it online at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834-...rds=butyl+tape

The "old style" clay putty tape and silicone based sealants won't work. Clay putty tape turns to a brittle mess and silicone can't be removed or resealed in the future. Silicone doesn't adhere to itself, so it's a "one time shot" with no way to repair any future leaks.

Clean off all the old sealant from both the window and the trailer sidewall, use alcohol or mineral spirits to remove all residue so you are starting with a "clean slate" when you apply the new butyl tape.

Here is another source of butyl tape. It's cheaper and HENG's is a well known company. They make most of the replacement roof vents found in RV's.
http://www.amazon.com/Hengs-5850-16-...rds=butyl+tape

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

That stuff works good, but if you can find a self adhesive foam seal for RV windows it will last longer. It's more $$ than the butyl tape, but I think it's better and easier to work with.

Whatever type of sealant you use, put the end gap at the bottom.

THIS: http://www.dyersonline.com/ap-produc...with-tape.html

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Glenn54

Thanks guys. I will see which one of those I can find.