Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
glenalt

The wife and I always said camping for us was a queen bed at the Hampton Inn instead of a King. We've had 1 holiday Rambler TT, 1 30' Motor Home and now we have our 5er. All the comforts of home, flat screens and all. We are in it now in Charlotte. Even though it's raining we are warm and comfortable. No way am I going into a tent.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #22
buzzcop63

When I was a kid we tent camped, mom and dad did all the work and I did not like it then and I will not do it now. Dad finally got a 16' travel trailer and I was in paradise, a bed to sleep in, no bugs, kerosene lamp burning, and icebox for food. Had to go outside for the bathroom but otherwise we were snug as a bug in a rug! Today the more luxuries we can have the better, at 70 years old their is not a whole lot of time left and I intend to enjoy it as much as possible, being cold, wet and miserable is something I no longer have to put up with.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 AM   #23
chris199

We really struggled with whether to upgrade or not. Here is our recent post on this. Maybe it is just a rationalization.....I dont know.....

This RV lifestyle is soooo addictive and fun!! <br />
<br />
DW and I became empty nesters a few years ago. Kids moved to NC and TN and we're up in PA. We stared at each other and said "Now what?!?" We started with B&B trips. Soon became awkward sitting in someone else's living room/den, etc. DW suggested we camp....get a hard side trailer (not a pop up like we used when the kids were little). <br />
<br />
So we started out in 2010/2011 with a 19' Passport. That was fun/great but we learned very early on it was much too small. Just one child as a quest and we were on top of one another....let alone when one of the grandkids joined us.<br />
<br />
So we upgraded to a Cougar 29 REV in 2012. Perfect for us and when one or two would join us. Little tight in the kitchen and not much room for many people on those rainy days or buggy nights.<br />
<br />
Then we started family camping trips....annual ones to Nashville, Smokies (TN side) and Smokies (NC side), recently to the Keys over Christmas. Keys trip we used 3 sites....one TT, one Class C, one rented destination trailer. Usually we'd have 10-12 people per trip. Some in tents (until it rained of course). One/two in a Class C. At the Keys over Christmas, fourteen people enjoyed the fun: DW/DH, kids (3 grown), spouses (2), grandkids (3), sister-in-law, 2 nephews and one of their spouses.<br />
<br />
We've been tempted by 5ers for a bit now. Too over the top? Too much trailer for 2 people? Too much money for "recreation"? Well today we made another jump....we just put a deposit down on a Montana 3791RD. DW loves the layout. King bed for us (I'm a big guy). Two fold out sofas for guests, large fridge, seating for 6 on sofas + 4 at dining room table. Room to move around in the kitchen. Was thinking the deal might fall through so we kept any excitement to a minimum....saving ourselves from a letdown. <br />
<br />
Never towed a 5er before. Should be interesting. We're both really excited.....can't wait for warmer weather. Maybe we can even camp a bit earlier in this 5er. The TT was pretty cold in any wind to speak of. Will be nice when it's just the two of us and will be really handy when there's 10+ of us. We'll see.....<br />
<br />
We've had our in laws tell us..."Do it now....if you can!" Don't wait until you retire. Who knows what life's got in store. (Reinforced when we were looking at 5ers recently....one very nice "used" RV for sale that was really brand new. Husband died suddenly before it was even used.) Decided that we'll get more use out of a 5er while the grandkids are smaller....not 10 years from now when we retire and the grandkids are 17 years old on up.<br />
<br />
So here we go......<br/>

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #24
LaTundra

Red face DW

Until she met me, DW thought "roughing it" meant going to a Bed and Breakfast.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Chris199

Your in laws are right. Do it if you can especially if your family is so into camping together. You absolutely don't want to wait until your grandkids are 17 to start making those "special" memories. We've been able to almost raise (well almost) 3 or our 4 grandkids. We have books of pictures of my grandson (26) and my two granddaughters (16-14) sharing countless times with us. I sent a picture I took (2010) of my grandgirls intently fishing on a lake in CO taken at sunset (absolutely beautiful) to my son in law day before yesterday. He called this morning and said "It's a beautiful picture and it was so fun....but we've lost our fishing buddies now; maybe we will get them back later". Make the most of it while you can.

As far as our time on earth - none of us know. I do know that I watched several men including my father in law, 2 good friends and others "wait" until they retired before they were going to do anything. My father in law had a stroke when he was 65 (he had announced his retirement). He had another and died. Never drove anywhere in the new '86 custom van he bought to take trips. Mother in law was devastated and even now talks about how they were going to travel. One friend retired at 65 after spending his life working constantly. Retired, got a new wife and motorcycle then made one trip to Sturgis. He came home and died....etc. etc. All to say that when I was 40 years old I determined I was going to do all the things I wanted to do beginning then and not wait...and we have. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the old philosopher's suggestion to forego arriving at the Pearly Gates pressed, clean and with shoes shined, but rather to get there 5 minutes late, dirty, tattered, out of breath and totally exhausted has a lot of merit....

Experience all that life has for you, there'll be time later to "think about it all"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

You're so right John. Make sure you have things in order and the bases covered but I figure I'll show up with muddy boots, fish scales clinging to my shirt, all tattered and torn but I'm sure I'll be there - I'm not aware of a way to dodge it.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #28
GmaPaTime

My way of thinking is I'd rather look back and say "That was one hell of a ride" than to look back and say " Boy... I wish I had taken that ride"

Lifes to short, enjoy it while you can.....
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #29
kguess

Good read.....

I must say I enjoyed all the different stories, I can relate to most of em. Camping/RVing is not for everyone, but we share so much because we are who we are. I'm so happy my wife and I got back into camping ( we got away from it for several years) and hope to start taking our two grandkids along sometime. I will retire at the end of this school year (Physical Ed. teacher) and start spending more time on the road. New truck, 2011 Hideout, and time, what more can I ask for ( well, don't go there please...) ? Hope GOD is good to us for a long time, we'll see.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #30
BOWWOW

No Tent

When I was a kid a group of friends and I would go to a pond about 5 miles down a gravel road, didn't matter if we walked rode a bike or a horse, we just had to get there. We would sleep in a bag next to a fire on the sand. We would catch catfish and gig for bullfrogs all night and swim all day.
When I was 18 I woke up with a Water Moccasin in my bag. That's when I decided to get domesticated and by a tent. Shortly after I met the DW and needed a bigger tent, See where this is going? Now I look out back and see the large tuck and the 5er and it makes me laugh. But I wouldn't trade my youth years for anything.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #31
Desert185

I remember the kids wanting to sleep in a tent when we had a popup trailer. On the way to the tent, my son see's a rattler. The stepdaughter at the time would have no part of the tent. It was either the back of the pickup or the trailer. My son just pressed on with the tent, but zipped it up good.

The next day, my stepdaughter was wading in a stream when a bug or something appeared to bite one of her toes. She was screaming that she was going to die. (Laughing...can't help it) That was the end of camping for her, and we eventually sold the trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #32
kguess

I'm with you bowwow.......life is good!
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote