Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #41
cabinfever

At 36 feet, we are good. When we camped with 9 and there was still room to move. When it is just myself and the DW, we love the extra space in the bunk house. We will be living in our TT for about 4 months this year while we build a new home. Maybe by the end of that time I will think we need a larger TT!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #42
kguess

Happy man, small camper!

We have a 19FLB , very happy.... Can I afford bigger, better, yes. But like someone said, when your camper is like your home, why leave home? GOD BLESS
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #43
zuley

As was said to me once, "buy your second camper first." I don't know too many people who have purchased their first camper and have not upgraded within a couple of years after they get a feel for what works best for them. We certainly did. Hopefully we will keep our present unit for the duration.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #44
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Randy, I am in your area and thinking about purchasing a new 40ft toyhauler. BUT, I'm very hesitant because I can't find anywhere to camp in Southern California with an RV that size. Where do you go? How about camping with bodies of water nearby, I don't know of any except Lake Elsinore in the entire Southern California that would accept a trailer that size. Is RV'ing a joke in Southern California?
http://www.rivcoparks.org/parks/lake...ion-area-home/

Its in Calif, so there's more don'ts than do's. Nice weather this time of year, though. I think they wanted $175/week for full hook ups when we drove by to check it out.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #45
kguess

Imo

Smaller is better..... Have to draw the line sometimes especially when it comes to towing a 'house'.....
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #46
SKSCCI

'Training' Trailer

I had spent 12 years tent camping as a BSA leader.
While my wife indicated that she would be fine with tent camping, I was ready to get 'off the ground'.
We did our research between Class A, B, C, Travel Trailer and 5th Wheel to decide which would be right for us.
We decided on the TT and needed to decide on size, layout, etc.
Everyone we talked to said that our first trailer would not be our last.
I was also in the market for a new vehicle since my 2000 Jeep Cherokee was old and under-sized for just about anything we were looking at.
So I decided on the F250 Turbo Diesel thinking that no matter what we eventually bought, it would be more than enough to tow it.
They also said to start off with what you think you will need for your lifestyle and if possible,
buy used to save $$ since you will be trading it in one way or another for a type and size of unit that you need based on actual RVing experience.
Since our kids are grown and we have 2 small dogs we thought a mid size TT would meet our needs.
We got a great deal on a 2014 Passport 21 foot 195RB (no slides) in 2013.
So now we've been using it for 1x monthly weekend camping at state parks for almost 2 years.
I've been keeping a checklist of things we would do differently and we definitely want something larger that can better meet our camping needs.
So now its just a matter of 'planting the seeds' in my wife's mind to upgrade since she is in love with what we have, but realizes that we need more if we are to start doing longer duration trips.
I find that the fun is in the 'hunt' as we search for what I hope will be our 'ultimate' (as in final, not mega) trailer.
Luckily we live in the Tampa Bay area and there are lots of RV stores between here and Orlando, plus the annual RV show at the state fairgrounds. Have fun in your hunt.

"Silver Shadow" 2012 F250 Turbo Diesel Lariat Ultimate Crew Cab
Ranch Hand Legend Bumpers and ARE MX Topper
2014 Keystone Passport 195
SKSCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #47
master sprinter

My DW and I just did 19,000 kms and 4 1/2 months in a 15 ft T@DA and loved it for traveling but now are doing a 5 month Camp Hosting gig and want some thing to live in. Just purchased a 2015 Keystone Sprinter 26RB Campfire Edition. We started out looking at a 22 ft then 23-24 ft and finally got the 26 ft because it meet ALL of are criteria. We have a TV that did not restrict us so looked for certain criteria and had to go 25-26 to get them. Here is the before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tada1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	7899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprinter.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	7901  

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Turbo Diesel/ Smarty Jr.
2015 Sprinter Campfire Edition
master sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

We have gone from tents to slide in campers to smaller travel trailers. I had a 25' TT with no slides. It was great for me but not so much with the wife and kids. My wife disliked it considerably.

We took a hiatus from RVs for a few years then decided to get another one. We knew we wanted bigger. Our kids are grown with kids of their own and we knew it would just be the two of us 99% of the time. We bought a Cougar High Country that is 37' from the ball to the back (not counting the spare) with 3 slides. It is pretty much ideal for us. Wouldn't want a bigger TT for sure. Went looking at 5th wheels and couldn't see getting one of those. I think smaller makes you feel cramped on those monsoon days when you're stuck inside plus we like to be able to walk around the bed, have plenty of room for pup and her stuff etc.

There are lots of criteria to consider when buying a new camper whether it's fitting an existing tow vehicle, cost etc. I think you get as big as you can but I would say that if a person is getting a TT 37' is as long as I would go before moving to a 5th wheel.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote