Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
That is why I want to change mine. I keep a baggie of insulation impregnated with insect poison to stuff in the area around the cord to keep insects out.
Out our way, ants aren't so much a thing, but we surround our cord with a Chore Boy to keep out the mice and the packrats. When we lived in an area where ants were a thing, we had good luck with rubbing a generous 2" ring of Vaseline around the hanging part of the cord.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:53 AM   #22
flookk

Vandals stole my cord forcing a refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
I am thinking about taking the power cord off my old Keystone Cougar and updating it to a 30 amp receptacle. Has anyone had a socket like this? It looks like Journeyman-Pro is the only one that makes them and I am looking for some advice on what is the best to use.
I had my cord cut off by thieves who also hit 3 or 4 other trailers in the winter storage facility. Fortunately they left me just enough cord to attach to the new connector (you can see the small nub sticking out from under the cover in the before picture).

As others have mentioned I had to fabricate a plate with a hole in the centre for the cord to go through. The acrylic plate completely covers the old "mouse hole". I lined the back of the plate with cork so that it would compress against the siding and then caulked around the whole thing to keep water out.

The cord now detaches and goes in the pass through baggage compartment. It was annoying but an easy fix that won't happen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230105_150957.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	46043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20230501_201631.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	46044  
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:18 AM   #23
rlh1957

No need to make a adapter ring. Research Oops ring on Google.
Plastic size rings are available at Amazon and many Marine Suppliers.
Pre-drill the plastic ring holes as plastic cracks screwing direct or if screw is larger.
There are many sizes available.

I did just the change you are wanting to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	46050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2772.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	46051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	46052  

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:20 PM   #24
oldnjrver

I kind of like my 30 amp direct cable connection. It gives me a dedicated place to store the cable. To hook up, I just open the mouse hole, pull out the cable and plug it in.

For the mouse hole, I have a disc of flexible polyurethane foam about 3/4" thick with a hole drilled into it.
I just pull the cable out and snap the foam disc over the cable inside the mouse hole.
When I push the cord in I wipe it with an old towel and when finished, I insert the disk so that it seals the opening.

My cord has only tangled maybe twice over the last 6 years. I ended up putting a hinged cover over the storage compartment, which also provides storage space for an onboard EMS, small toolbox and an extension cable.

My $.02 for what its worth.

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:27 AM   #25
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnjrver View Post
I kind of like my 30 amp direct cable connection. It gives me a dedicated place to store the cable. To hook up, I just open the mouse hole, pull out the cable and plug it in.

For the mouse hole, I have a disc of flexible polyurethane foam about 3/4" thick with a hole drilled into it.
I just pull the cable out and snap the foam disc over the cable inside the mouse hole.
When I push the cord in I wipe it with an old towel and when finished, I insert the disk so that it seals the opening.

My cord has only tangled maybe twice over the last 6 years. I ended up putting a hinged cover over the storage compartment, which also provides storage space for an onboard EMS, small toolbox and an extension cable.

My $.02 for what its worth.

Safe travels and all the best.
I feel the same way now. I originally wanted the twist lock shore power cable but have found with my limited storage that the existing setup works fine for us. I haven't any issues yet with the cord tangling, but it is pretty easy to get to the back side of the storage compartment if it happens.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:16 AM   #26
glock35ipsc

I used a 30A twist lock inlet on mine. I had a piece of black 1/4" HDPE plastic that I used as a filler ring. I cut it out with a hole saw, then cut another hole to fit the receptacle into. Used the original plastic piece to mark the holes on the filler ring, and installed it onto the wall with new butyl tape.

My reason for doing this was that I used the space where the cord got stuffed into to install an automatic transfer switch, fuse block, and 12v to 19v converter for the TV. I also boondock more than I am hooked up to services, so this way the cord can stay rolled up in a storage until needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30A inlet.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	46308  
Old 02-29-2024, 09:21 AM   #27
glock35ipsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

It's been "years and years" since I ran across a trailer power center where the actual shore power cable connected directly to the power center circuit breaker panel. There's been a "ROMEX to cable" connection box in every one I've seen since around 2010 or in that time frame.
This is what I was expecting in my 2017 Springdale Mini, but the cord ran straight to the breakers in the converter.