Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
poop

It sounds like the OP has a manual slidder 5th wheel. I always put mine in the manuver position when backing into spot. This prevents 5er from hitting cab of truck.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #22
TFMCKANNA

thanks, this info is very helpful. appreciate you for taking the time to respond.
TFMCKANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #23
JeffS

I have found the "Z" method to be helpful.

http://michigantraveler.org/2013/01/...g-a-5th-wheel/
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I have found the "Z" method to be helpful.

http://michigantraveler.org/2013/01/...g-a-5th-wheel/
this is pretty much the method I use. I would just caution one thing with what was mentioned in the article. When you pull up getting "as far as possible to the right of the road" this is fine if there isn't anything on that side. If there are any obstacles such as other RVs or a fence, give yourself some room. If you don't, when you start chasing the 5er the front of the truck won't have enough room to come around. This is the mistake I used to make that I mentioned in my previous post.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #25
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
I've been thinking the same thing as well. I've read some Ford forum posts about it but they have been on older trucks. You basically need to send power to the shift motor on the transfer case and not to the vacuum solenoid. I'm sure Ram does it in a similar way. I just need to get the wiring diagrams for the new truck.
In my Dodge, the transfer case shifter moves a rod directly connected to the transfer case. It also actuates a switch to send vacuum to the front axle actuator, which moves a collar, coupling each side of the front axle together. A switch interrupting that vacuum signal would suffice to select 2L.

Backing up in low range, at least in my stick, allows idling speed with better/easier reactive steering inputs for more precise directional control.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
TFMCKANNA

eureka!

Thanks all for your input. I took notes and yesterday put the Cougar in its snug cage using "small corrections" and by getting out of the truck a dozen times every foot or two to visually inspect progress. It took longer but your comments kept me focused. Still need the practice but feel more confident.
TFMCKANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #27
Hoojs12840

It's like anything else. Some days your right in, some days you can't get it in the hole without 10 pull ups. Get Out And Look. Even when the park ranger/guide is spotting I still get out as they don't pay my deductible.

It's not a race. I've seen many a driver run out of talent before they run out confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
It's like anything else. Some days your right in, some days you can't get it in the hole without 10 pull ups.

Ain't that the truth!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMCKANNA View Post
Thanks all for your input. I took notes and yesterday put the Cougar in its snug cage using "small corrections" and by getting out of the truck a dozen times every foot or two to visually inspect progress. It took longer but your comments kept me focused. Still need the practice but feel more confident.
Lots of great inputs here. This will get you on the right track, small and steady. It's interesting, as others have said, you can be a rock star at it one day, and just be awful at it the next. I back my toy hauler into the same 40 foot pad, almost every weekend when we return from camping, and some weeks it's in and perfectly straight on one try. Others....sigh, I end up backing over the railroad tie that borders the pad, I'm practically sideways, and the neighbors ask if one of the kids was practicing....go figure.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #30
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
In my Dodge, the transfer case shifter moves a rod directly connected to the transfer case. It also actuates a switch to send vacuum to the front axle actuator, which moves a collar, coupling each side of the front axle together. A switch interrupting that vacuum signal would suffice to select 2L.

Backing up in low range, at least in my stick, allows idling speed with better/easier reactive steering inputs for more precise directional control.

There are 3rd party kits to do the 2 Low thing on most Dodges. Come with all the parts and a switch to mount somewhere in the cab. Throw the switch, select 4 Low and it'll keep the front from engaging.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #31
Desert185

I'll do some checking.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #32
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I'll do some checking.

The former owner of my truck bought one from PacBrake for it, but never installed it. I just wandered out to the garage to see what the box said on it.

I haven't decided if I feel like having it installed or not.

Part number is PN#C18056 for my 2001 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #33
eds451

Like all previous posters have stated...TAKE YOUR TIME, GET OUT AND LOOK, PRACTICE..PRACTICE..PRACTICE.
I think we all have been there at a CG watching some poor guy trying his best to back in, yelling at his DW or she yelling at him.

Take it from one who has been there (possibly still there if you ask my DW).

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #34
Williston324

Last winter south, I greased into a very tight spot at Fort deSoto - tight trees on both sides. No problem. Same thing at Long Key. Later was at Williston Crossings, wide open spot with tons of room and I must have corrected a dozen times. I know the next door neighbors were laughing like crazy (we became good friends and they still kid me about it).
Old 09-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #35
Hansel

A lot of great tips, mine is I always get out and figure out exactly where I want the camper, then I will start out past the site and work the trailer in trying not too get much past a 45* angle of the truck and trailer, some site's I've backed into have been really tight causing a really hard angle. When we where at Myrtle Beach State park earlier this year a guy made a comment too my wife that the site we where on they had had before and found it really hard too get into but I backed in with no problem, she even said "my husband didn't have any problem" and I backed in around a tree on the backside right, a leaning tree on the driverside, plus 3 more tree's on the driver side, and Oh ya the dude's truck on the camp site across from mine. Nailed it on the first try

I'm not a expert but I have alot of years driving fire engines and rescue truck's so I've done ALLOT of backing
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #36
denverpilot

Heh. Get used to it.

Last night's arrival to our "executive back in spot" meant backing an entire block before turning and backing in on the blindside.

Completely impossible without a spotter with a radio.

Wife did good. First shot. She's getting better. We were slightly crooked but it was late and I wanted to shut down the diesel to let folks sleep.

Practice practice practice.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #37
Cougar1957

Going through a bit of a learning curve with my first fifth wheel after almost two decades with a travel trailer. Same concept for backing, but different. What I have found different is that I need to go into a backing maneuver a bit harder from the get go, and also come out of it faster. Backing the TT was more of a gradual affair. I am finding that slow and steady works...also make small corrections. Backing a fifth wheel is far more "touchier" if you know what I mean.

As far as communication with my spotter, I have my wife call my cell phone and we just talk as normal. Have found this to be a nice and calm way to do it.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #38
Ram189

I find my 5th wheel 100% easier to park than I ever did my TT.
You can cut it in and out of spots much easier. Backing in seems to take less room than the TT did also.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #39
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar1957 View Post
Backing a fifth wheel is far more "touchier" if you know what I mean.

As far as communication with my spotter, I have my wife call my cell phone and we just talk as normal. Have found this to be a nice and calm way to do it.
My experience is different than yours and the same as Ram189's in that I find backing in a 5th wheel to be easier and less "touchy" than a TT. Having said that, I have had far more practice with a 5th wheel than a TT so that may be part of the reason.

Like others have said, on some days "you have it" and on others, you don't. Jupiter is aligned with Mars and the "backing in Gods are with you".

Here in BC, it is against the law to drive with a hand-held device, such as a cell phone, in your hand. So I am wondering if Dudley Do Right might hand me a ticket if I were to be communicating with my wife with a cell phone in one hand while backing into a campsite.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Here in BC, it is against the law to drive with a hand-held device, such as a cell phone, in your hand. So I am wondering if Dudley Do Right might hand me a ticket if I were to be communicating with my wife with a cell phone in one hand while backing into a campsite.
here too ....Bluetooth.

Isn't Dudley still busy riding his horse backwards on his way to save what's her name tied on the train tracks?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote