Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
blackartist

keystone passport 199ML

My TV has 5000lb towing capacity. I did a lot of research for different brands of trailers for their durability and reliability. Finally I locked in KZ spree escape 196s, Keystone passport 199ML and cruiser rv funfinder 189fds. After reading forums for funfinder I found that there are a lot of reliability issues with it. KZ is very good but spree escape is too cheap look inside. Other KZ trailers are too heavy. Anyone has 199ML and what do you think of your 199ML's quality and reliability after these years of use? I found its slide out to be very shallow. Do you prefer sleeping sofa or dinette? Thanks
blackartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Justvisiting2day

Passport 199ml

HI sorry no one has got back to you and I hope you have made your decission.
WE had a 2011- 195 RB and absoultly loved it, but it didn't have the slide out.
Now have a 2013 Grand Touring unit and we do almost live in ours 9 months ayear. As hosts at different state and federal parks. That 199 Ml looks pretty good though and if you have it now just enjoy it then make all the mods you want.
Cheers chuck
and welcome to the group.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
blackartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
HI sorry no one has got back to you and I hope you have made your decission.
WE had a 2011- 195 RB and absoultly loved it, but it didn't have the slide out.
Now have a 2013 Grand Touring unit and we do almost live in ours 9 months ayear. As hosts at different state and federal parks. That 199 Ml looks pretty good though and if you have it now just enjoy it then make all the mods you want.
Cheers chuck
and welcome to the group.

Thanks for replying. What do you think of your passport's quality and reliability? I am still doing research now, Because both I and my wife are working full time. We only have 3 weeks' vacation days per year. This makes me think if it makes sense to buy a new travel trailer. If I buy new, I would rather buy one with good reliability and quality. Keystone is one of the best manufacturers.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Justvisiting2day

Keystone passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackartist View Post
Thanks for replying. What do you think of your passport's quality and reliability? I am still doing research now, Because both I and my wife are working full time. We only have 3 weeks' vacation days per year. This makes me think if it makes sense to buy a new travel trailer. If I buy new, I would rather buy one with good reliability and quality. Keystone is one of the best manufacturers.
First I think it is up to the individual, on whose quality>? Our first one we had window screws popping the heads off and a few other MINOR items. The warrentee took care of every thing and Quality is alot of YOUR dealer and your attitude. We travel and live in our unit, I am mechanically and structurally inclined so I fixed alot of my own stuf that was minor.

Keystones quality so far as I have found and my wife agrees is that it is probably just above average of all the manufactures.
That is whay we purchased our second 13' unit a while back ,it was a "used" one but not abused. And I allways re-build every thing I get any way.
As little as you are going to use the unit, perhaps a good used one would save you a bunch on primary cost up front. And have the dealer give you a "free" warrentee for a year . So you have a chance to try it out and have them fix the small stuff.
Buying new for just 2-3 weeks a year is really costly esp, you have a family to support, do you have afree storage area? Do you have a place to maintaine it? A lot of things do come up.

All in all , no objections to a new one except for the costs. And the one you have picked sounds like a neat deal. If you have the cash ,, I remember a man said " Poor people can't afford to buy cheap" .
Good luck and Let us know what you do.
Cheers
Chuck
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
koko

We purchased our trailer new and have had no problems. We bought at the end of the season and got a really great deal on it. The last three campers that we owned before this one were purchased new, and we only kept each for a year to a year and a half (we were on a search and really didn't know exactly what we wanted. We were moving down from a large trailer). We made some really great mods on all three and would have loved to buy any of them used. My point is that sometimes you can get a really sweet deal on a gently used, fairly new camper that the owner upgraded while he owned it.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
blackartist

I think buying a used one makes more sense to me because I won't have too much time each year to use it. I have no space to store it and have to pay for outside storage. That is about $350 per year. Plus insurance, good sam club emergency membership and maintenance, it will cost about $600-$700 alone even I don't use it at all.

But owing a trailer is my dream. I am always jealous when I go to state parks and those RV parks. I told myself, I should have one someday.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Justvisiting2day

Passport

Hate ta drag this out much further,,, NOT.
We started out in a Chalet, very light and easy to park in (if you have one) a garage or along the house. Most of these are pretty much used for a couple of years then the owners move up to boxes like we did.
Look up Chaletrv.com They also have a forum that have a lot of neat people to let you know whats for.
We had ours for 4 years and spent 2 winters in Mexico and one in so New Mexico. Plus went to all kinds of rallies.
Have fun and take care
Chuck in Oregon
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
koko

Chalets are great. Our daughter has owned one for 5 years now, and one of our last three was an Aliner. We had a great time with it and pulled it easily with a Jeep Cherokee. The quality of those little trailers is very good.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote