Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Flyboy446

Hot Water Heater Bypass - 2014 Cougar 28RBS TT

I am trying to locate the hot water heater bypass valve on my new 2014 Cougar 28RBS travel trailer. Any help is appreciated.
Flyboy446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It should be in-line at the back of the water heater. Depending on how it's configured there may be a single valve or up to three.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
GaryWT

Generally you just remove the panel inside where the tank is located. Probably need a square head screw driver. If you are not sure look outside for it to figure out if it is under the stove, the fridge, maybe a bed or bunk. Once you remove the panel you will see the pipes going to and from the tank. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Flyboy446

Working On Locating It

Thanks for the input, I am headed out to the trailer tomorrow to get started on pre-trip prep and will be working to find the HW tank and the by-pass valve. Need to sanitize the FW system as the rig has been sitting for a few months.

I will follow up with my findings.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Flyboy446

Post Final Follow-Up with Pictures for Inquiring Minds

Here is my follow up with narrative and pictures. Hope this helps anyone else out there looking for these items.

Locating the Hot Water Heater (HW) by-pass valve on a 2014 Keystone Cougar 28RBS Travel Trailer.

1. Locate your hot water heater exterior combustion chamber. This is where the gas heats up your HWH and exhausts it outside the trailer. It looks like this on my rig.

2. Open the panel to see the burner, igniter, HWH relief valve (top) and verify drain plug (below gold burner tube).

3. Close up view of burner tube, HWH drain plug on the right and exterior electrical shut-off switch on the left.

4. Ok so now that we know where the HWH Drain Plug is, we can go inside the trailer and locate where the access panel is to the HWH and hopefully the HWH by-pass valve.

On my trailer it was easy to see that an access panel was located next to the refrigerator which was approximately the location inside, where the HWH drain plug was found on the outside of the trailer. The two screws on the access panel also helped point the away. 

5. Unscrew the screws and gently pull the panel away to reveal the HWH and plumbing.

6. Upon closer inspection I could see that Keystone factory had indeed installed a By-Pass Valve for the HWH. The valve as shown is in the normal operating position, not in By-Pass mode.

7. I talked to the Service Manager at the Keystone Dealer where I purchased this trailer regarding the potential need to install another valve up at the top, between the HWH and the the By-Pass tubing to completely isolate the HWH from any potential liquid, such as antifreeze, from getting back into the tank through the hot water line when the valve is in By-Pass mode and he stated that it was not possible. He said that all modern RV hot water heaters have been designed with a one-way valve on the hot water side so there is no chance of antifreeze getting into the HWH through that path.

So now I am ready to sanitize the Fresh Water (FW) system of my trailer and in a month or so Winterize the system. Hope this helps those out there with inquiring minds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH1.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	7189   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	7190   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH3.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	7191  
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Sherwood

Unfortunately with the single valve bypass with the one way valve, you get the spray of cold water while taking a Navy shower. I hated it. So I replaced the crappy one way valve and single bypass valve with 3 Sharkbite shutoff valves. Now I can take a nice warm shower without the shot of cold water when you turn the shower head back on.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
sconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
Unfortunately with the single valve bypass with the one way valve, you get the spray of cold water while taking a Navy shower. I hated it. So I replaced the crappy one way valve and single bypass valve with 3 Sharkbite shutoff valves. Now I can take a nice warm shower without the shot of cold water when you turn the shower head back on.
Is that the cause of it? Huh!
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Sherwood

Yeah. The one way valve pretty much shuts off the hot water while its trickling during a Navy shower thus getting the cold water treatment. Taking that out and installing the 3 quarter turn valves fixes that.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Sherwood

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Flyboy446

Good Info - Thanks.

Thanks so much for the good info.

Ya I hate that initial cold blast of water during the shower. I think I will be adding in the SharkBite valves to my rig for this same reason.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
Pmedic4

thanks from myself and DW

Great tip!!!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar 28rbs, hot water heater bypass