Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Eric91Z

Vampress_me, thanks for that input. That is really what I am starting to think. Daily driver, live in town, some highway time unloaded now and then, with one or two camping trips, per month, during camping season. And from what we are looking at, towing around 9000 GVWR on trailer, plus payload in truck. 6.0L gasser with 4.10 gears will probably be fine in a 2500HD 4x4 Crew, for us anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
Out of the 4 gen Dodge Ram/Cummins, how many of them have you owned?
None! I do have a friend who has owned 3, 94, 02, 09. I've ridden in each of them and have not been impressed with the seats. In fact, he puts a lot of miles on them, 70k per year. Yes 500k when he buys a new one. He has changed the seats in the last two. He always complains and wishes "Dodge would put a seat like GM in their trucks", I agree with his assessment.

All of the big 3 are good, each in their own way. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It's personal preference as to which strengths and weaknesses are more important. I looked at all of them, and went with the Silverado for my own personal preferences. I'm not trying to start a brand war, just giving my 2c based on experience (mine and friends).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #23
Ram189

If you are going to just be making the short trips as a daily driver I think the gas is the way for you to go.

Those kind of trips kill a diesel. Water in the system is what does it. The engine does not build up enough heat to disapate the condensation that builds and settles in the oil, fuel lines, ect.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #24
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
None! I do have a friend who has owned 3, 94, 02, 09. I've ridden in each of them and have not been impressed with the seats. In fact, he puts a lot of miles on them, 70k per year. Yes 500k when he buys a new one. He has changed the seats in the last two. He always complains and wishes "Dodge would put a seat like GM in their trucks", I agree with his assessment.

All of the big 3 are good, each in their own way. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It's personal preference as to which strengths and weaknesses are more important. I looked at all of them, and went with the Silverado for my own personal preferences. I'm not trying to start a brand war, just giving my 2c based on experience (mine and friends).
Hi Brent - could you find out the details of your friend's seat replacement? I agree with him - my '97 seats are uncomfortable in both my and my wife's opinion. I've had the seats rebuilt and while now both sides are solid and not broke down, we both get tired legs and my wife gets leg cramps where the seat edge hits the back of her legs.

In talking with the guy who rebuilt our seats, his opinion is the newer trucks are even more "firm" (and not in a comfortable way) is how he put it. Another very knowledgeable Dodge guy claims that the leather seats in any model year are more supportive and comfortable than the cloth seats.

Greg
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #25
bsmith0404

Greg,

He added the knoedler seats, well actually seat. If I remember correctly he has the Excaliber. They are about $600-700 each so he only put in the drivers seat. You can do a google on them, expensive, but amazingly comfortable.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
gkainz

Thanks! I'll check them out.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #27
65aircooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post

I figured that! It sounded to me like your criticism went beyond the seat, I am not a brand specific type of guy, nor do I own stock in any of them. I buy what works for me at any given point. My last Ram CTD lasted me 7 years, and I missed that truck every day of my life, though the transmission pretty much sucked. I've had at least one of each of the BIG 3, as you say they all have their flaws. Bought my last truck two months ago, traded in a Tundra with very comfortable seats, so far no complains on the new seats, but they are top of the line so maybe that has something to do with it? I test-drove the '15 Silverado, very fast truck, but I wanted low end pulling power so I went with the Ram. I don't put that many miles in my trucks, but many hrs in a car in a single trip would be enough to hate or love a seat I guess.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
rnkburg

Well of its that cold and the commute is that short gas or diesel I think you need heated seats to help out but if it was me I would still go diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #29
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
I figured that! It sounded to me like your criticism went beyond the seat, I am not a brand specific type of guy, nor do I own stock in any of them. I buy what works for me at any given point. My last Ram CTD lasted me 7 years, and I missed that truck every day of my life, though the transmission pretty much sucked. I've had at least one of each of the BIG 3, as you say they all have their flaws. Bought my last truck two months ago, traded in a Tundra with very comfortable seats, so far no complains on the new seats, but they are top of the line so maybe that has something to do with it? I test-drove the '15 Silverado, very fast truck, but I wanted low end pulling power so I went with the Ram. I don't put that many miles in my trucks, but many hrs in a car in a single trip would be enough to hate or love a seat I guess.
Actually my criticism with Dodge does go beyond the seat, that is just one of the major complaints I have with them. I don't like shifting gears anymore (except in my vette) and their history of automatic transmissions is questionable to put it nicely. The front ends are also a weak link. They've had a problem from everything from the Durango to the HD trucks. I've changed too many ball joints on them over the years to count. Couldn't tell you if they've improved or not with the newer ones, I don't turn wrenches on others peoples vehicles anymore. I do like the Cummins though and if the new Aisin lives up to the hype, it may be worth another look......well I've actually given them a look, but the new package has pushed the price up on par/even higher than the Dmax, so I doubt I'll be jumping the GM ship anytime soon. I will say Dodge has put some nice packages together for the new trucks. Almost too many options! When I was building one on the website, I just kept clicking the add button and watching the price tag rise.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
GMcKenzie

I love my old diesel, but park it in the winter. My work commute is about 5 mins each way and I just don't want to do that to my truck.

Last winter I bought a POS (94 Taurus) for $400 and sold it to the wreckers in the spring for $220. Put about 1,800 KMS on it over 5 month. It seemed to be the solution for me so this fall I bought a 94 Blazer and will probably keep it as it seems to run fine. Cost $1,000.

To me that is worth it to not beat the crap out of the diesel. I'll put it on the road in May when I start towing again and shove the Blazer under cover for next winter. Plus it means I can fix a few things on the truck.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #31
msp2jxr

I driver a Ford diesel 6.4 and use it as a daily driver. I live 4 mile from work and drive the diesel back forth to work and now have 52,000. I know this is not the best for my truck but I am not going to buy another car for the short time I will be doing this. I have had no problems with the truck and it has always started in the Winter and I live in MN. I don't expect the duramax to be any different.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #32
kimbashaw

I have a 2013 Chevrolet diesel DRW. It is my retirement truck (for seeing the country and heading south in the winter when I retire in 4 years) and I also park it in the garage once the snow hits and they start salting the roads. During the summer I drive several long trips. Any advice when storing for the winter? I store it with a full tank of fuel and once every couple weeks will start it, let it get up to temperature, run it back an forth in the driveway to use the brakes, and then put it away. I do keep it plugged in when it gets below 10 degrees or so.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #33
Drew Waller

3500 Doramax

We live close to Lake Erie in Cleveland Ohio. It's cold here in the winter. I've never had a problem starting. My Duramax will sit for weeks at a time and start right up? Now I've got a new 2015 with DEF so we'll see if that makes a difference this winter! If only towing a trailer I would go with the 1 ton and single wheels on the back. If 5th wheel go dually. But desiel either way and stay 1 ton.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #34
Barbell

We pull a Montana with a 13 year old 3/4 T Dodge w/ Cummins HO and six speed with 165,000 miles. Our first camper was a big Lance so the truck was ordered as camper special and has air bags and exhaust brake. Since added a FASS fuel system. Otherwise stock. The Montana was new last year and we have pulled it around 25,000 miles since. We have never been anywhere that gave me any concern about this truck. Fuel mileage is good; 20+ empty and 11-13 pulling. Top speed when pulling is 65. Empty it is the speed limit or a little more. I keep good tires on it and the trailer and keep them inflated and torqued. It doesn't get started unless it is going at least 30 miles. It may sit for two months or more when we are not traveling. On the road, we usually travel 300 miles per day or less and stay more than one night most places. Right now, we are taking about a month to go from AZ to SC. The truck is serviced regularly and has never used more than a quart of oil in 5000 miles. If/when it gets replaced, it will be another Cummins; don't care if its a Dodge. The only thing I would consider changing is I might go to a 1 ton SRW. All in all, so far at least, this truck trailer combination is quite satisfactory. Have never pulled with a smaller truck but with 50-60 lbs of air in the air bags and 80 in rear 65 in front, this truck rides very well on most highways. There are exceptions but I-40/I-44, I-70, I-64, I-75 so far on this trip have been fine most of the time.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #35
Desert185

Similar experience with my Ram. Lot of bang for the buck.

I, too, have a FASS lift pump...also FAST coolers for the 6-speed and Mag-Hytek diff covers (the rear is functional and the front one is for looks ;-) ). I pulled the stock pipe with muffler and resonator in order to replace with a Magnaflow 4" system with stainless, straight through muffler. It wasn't noisier and dropped the EGT a smidge and no more "whooshie" sounding back pressure.

I'm thinking a Snow water/meth injection system is next. If their advertising is correct, the EGT will drop 150-300dF giving me more pedal when needed and desired. Mileage 20-21 and 10-14 when towing at 60 MPH. GREAT truck.

I live 7 miles from the post office (shortest trip). Everything else is 30 min to an hour away. I can't live without a long bed pickup, and this 2001 vintage Dodge 24 valve Cummins without the DEF, EGR and new etc. stuff is just the ticket for us. I had a hard time leaving the '94 12 valve (comparatively bulletproof) behind, but the quad cab and 6-speed stick was convincing. Cure the lift pump issue with FASS and press on.

Approaching 300,000 miles with Cummins...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #36
Trent McCain

I'm going to say no. I bought a diesel truck to do a job...it is a luxury for us. We pull our trailers and the rest of the time it's in the building. I get it out when the weathers nice to keep batteries charged, parts lubricated etc, we only put about 5K mi a year on it. I drive a cherry 1995 F150 4x4 gasser daily. I'll put miles on it and keep them off the diesel. All our vehicles and toys are paid for, so they don't owe me anything. I see no need to wear out an expensive diesel truck as a "driver" unless you're full timing and that's your only vehicle. I run own a small trucking company so I understand running in cold weather. I'll gladly pay the extra money for straight no. 1 diesel to avoid gelling in the cold. I don't want the headache or expense of buying it for a "daily driver" diesel pickup. Also, in our small town you can be anywhere in 5 min. With the emissions equipment on newer trucks, this causes problems as well. Just today I had to drive the F350 as the drivers had my F150. I warmed it up, backed it out of the garage, and drove across town this morning. Tonight when I got in, I fired the truck and let it warm up a little before coming back to the house. I get the message "drive to clean exhaust filter." So a quick 24 mi trip on the interstate, and the filter is clean again. These are just 2 reasons why I don't see the logic in running one daily. If it were me, I'd buy a nice diesel truck for pulling and keep a cheap "beater" for a daily driver.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #37
LittleJoe

What Trent says.......

It takes a ten mile drive in warm weather to get up to operating temp.

For the duty cycle the OP is speaking of , a gasser would do a better job.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
What Trent says.......

It takes a ten mile drive in warm weather to get up to operating temp.

For the duty cycle the OP is speaking of , a gasser would do a better job.
Funny, around here even at 20`F my thermostat opens after 3-4 miles and if it took any longer I'd have a weather cover on my grill... I drive my diesel every day, winter, spring, summer, and fall... I've tried gas pickups and until I stop pulling trailers I will never own another gas pickup. To me they are a complete waste of my time and money.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #39
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Funny, around here even at 20`F my thermostat opens after 3-4 miles and if it took any longer I'd have a weather cover on my grill... I drive my diesel every day, winter, spring, summer, and fall... I've tried gas pickups and until I stop pulling trailers I will never own another gas pickup. To me they are a complete waste of my time and money.
x2. I've owned gassers before my diesel, I won't go back. I've used grill covers to help it warm up a bit in real cold temps. I've never had a problem with cold temps or short drives. I use my truck for whatever I need it for, I don't give it a second thought.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #40
Desert185

Brent and Javi:

I thought I was alone concerning the seasonal operation of diesel pickups. Nice to know others agree. I do like my El Camino, though.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote