Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
kippy

Smile new gmc truck

I just got a new gmc 3500 long bed duelly 4x4 denali hd. When i changed my 5th wheel hitch i only had 3 inches of bed rail on level ground.if i go up will this put more pressure on my rear axle? Also, for those in the know,whhat should my tire pressures for front and rear be towing. i am towing a fuzion 342. Approx 15 to 16000 lbs loaded. Truck is 3 weeks old totally stock and both truck and rv are level, height is 21-1/4 inch inside bed to rail and 55 inch from ground to rail with rv attached. Any and all info appreciated
Thanks kip
PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. RIDE SAFE
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
bsmith0404

just for clarification, you have 3" of bedrail to rv clearance and the 5er is level? That is surprising with a truck that is stock height. You should be able to go up a little in the front without adding too much weight on the rear axle.

As for tire pressures, I run max (80 psi) in the rears when loaded, 65 empty. The front runs and wears well/even at 70 psi. My Alpine is very close to the same weight.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Javi

A lot of folks don't think about this stuff before buying a 5'er or a TV...

Easy way to see if you are even in the ballpark is to set the trailer on level ground and level it front to rear..

Next measure up from ground to bottom of pin box plate. This is the measurement you need to setup the hitch height in your truck.

Next measure up from the ground to the bottom of the trailer overhang... this is the height the trailer will set on the truck. Knowing this measurement you can easily measure from the ground to the top of the bed rails and know instantly if you're gonna have enough clearance between the bed and the trailer when the truck and trailer are level.

Easy way to measure the hitch height in the truck bed... use a 10' 2X4 laid across the bed rails... measure from the bottom of the 2 X 4 to the top plate of the hitch and from the ground to the bottom of the 2 X 4...

You need at least 6" of clearance between the bed pails and the bottom of the trailer overhang...

Remember you have adjustment in most pin boxes and in most hitches so getting it right isn't that difficult unless you are combining a large 4 X 4 pickup with a low riding trailer...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
A lot of folks don't think about this stuff before buying a 5'er or a TV...

Easy way to see if you are even in the ballpark is to set the trailer on level ground and level it front to rear..

Next measure up from ground to bottom of pin box plate. This is the measurement you need to setup the hitch height in your truck.

Next measure up from the ground to the bottom of the trailer overhang... this is the height the trailer will set on the truck. Knowing this measurement you can easily measure from the ground to the top of the bed rails and know instantly if you're gonna have enough clearance between the bed and the trailer when the truck and trailer are level.

Easy way to measure the hitch height in the truck bed... use a 10' 2X4 laid across the bed rails... measure from the bottom of the 2 X 4 to the top plate of the hitch and from the ground to the bottom of the 2 X 4...

You need at least 6" of clearance between the bed pails and the bottom of the trailer overhang...

Remember you have adjustment in most pin boxes and in most hitches so getting it right isn't that difficult unless you are combining a large 4 X 4 pickup with a low riding trailer...
your truck will squat about 2" with weight of trailer on it. Don't forget to account for that when setting the height of the hitch/pin box.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
your truck will squat about 2" with weight of trailer on it. Don't forget to account for that when setting the height of the hitch/pin box.
Or not... if he uses airbags.. you have to consider all possibilities and I forgot to add that.. Thanks
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Or not... if he uses airbags.. you have to consider all possibilities and I forgot to add that.. Thanks
yep. if he is using airbags and having trouble getting bedrail clearance, he needs to stop using airbags and let the truck squat a bit. I was really surprise when he said he only had 3" clearance. the new 3500s sit about 59" to the top of the bedrails, most of the new 5ers are set for a truck at this height......level at about 64-65", almost a perfect marriage. Makes me wonder if he is running airbags or box rails.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
yep. if he is using airbags and having trouble getting bedrail clearance, he needs to stop using airbags and let the truck squat a bit. I was really surprise when he said he only had 3" clearance. the new 3500s sit about 59" to the top of the bedrails, most of the new 5ers are set for a truck at this height......level at about 64-65", almost a perfect marriage. Makes me wonder if he is running airbags or box rails.

I have air bags on my 2008 chevy dually and with my 342 I had to play around quite a bit to get things close. Still the best solution would be to raise the trailer 2 more inches at the axles. If I ran the minimum 5psi in my airbags, which is letting the truck ride on the overloads, I would have a larger gap at the rear of the bedrails and a smaller gap closer to the cab. Throw 35-45 pounds in the bags and I can get the bedrail clearance to be even in the front and rear. So having the airbags helps keep my clearances level, not the other way around.

To the OP: I had to play around a lot with my pin box and 5th wheel hitch to get close to the right balance of having the trailer ride level and enough bed rail clearance. I am running a little nose high, but that gives me the bed rail clearance I want. I could lower my 5th wheel hitch or raise my pin box and the trailer would ride level, but I would have less than 6" of bedrail clearance. I am also running a Tri-glide pinbox, so being a bigger pin box could complicate my adjustments vs someone running the stock Lippert box.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
BOWWOW

Don't want to beat the tire dead horse anymore but have you upgraded your trailer tires a size taller yet ?
Just a thought , I gained an inch up on the rear of the 5er that way.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
kippy

Smile new gmc truck

The truck is totally stock, only had it 3 weeks. The rv is stock has 235-80-16 tires. Using a reese pro series 20k hitch. The hitch plate is 15 inches high from the bed, no add ons to rv or truck.the( bed to rail is 21 1/4 inch),, ground to rail is 55 inch with trailer attached the truck and rv are both level using a 4 ft. Level at multiple points. . Kip ps thanks for all your info
Old 09-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
bsmith0404

so is the trailer level, nose high, or low? my 3500 dually is stock as well and my 5er has almost identical weights. my hitch plate is 17.5" from the bed of the truck, I have 6.5" bedrail clearance and my 5er is almost perfectly level

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
kippy

kip 15 gmc 3500 dw 4x4 denali hd 4 weeks new

Hi brent, thanks for your in-put. My truck and rv totally stock and level. My plate is 15 inches from bed . My side walls are 21-1/4 inch to top of rail. With rv hooked up to truck and jacks up is 55 inch to top of rail from the ground Tires are 235-80-16. 3 inch rail clearance. 15 to 16,000 loaded using pro series-20k by reese. My hitch is set at lowest setting, i am thinking of moving the hitch bed up 2 holes 2-3/4 inch. This will make me run nose a little high i think.being a novice and an old fart, just trying to get it close.any info. Appreciated. Thanks kip
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
Hi brent, thanks for your in-put. My truck and rv totally stock and level. My plate is 15 inches from bed . My side walls are 21-1/4 inch to top of rail. With rv hooked up to truck and jacks up is 55 inch to top of rail from the ground Tires are 235-80-16. 3 inch rail clearance. 15 to 16,000 loaded using pro series-20k by reese. My hitch is set at lowest setting, i am thinking of moving the hitch bed up 2 holes 2-3/4 inch. This will make me run nose a little high i think.being a novice and an old fart, just trying to get it close.any info. Appreciated. Thanks kip
Now I understand what you have. I have the same hitch and it's set at the highest setting, that's the difference between my 17.5" plate height compared to your 15". I'm guessing you are a little low in the front with your 5er right now as well. My bed rails are 55" to the ground when hooked up as well. I've attached a pic and you can see that I'm pretty level, actually almost perfect with this set-up and my bedrail clearance is about 6.5". Raise your hitch and you should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	6970   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	6971  

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
kippy

kip gmc

Thanks again brent.
Come up 2 holes,at the front of rv 6 inchs and tailgate 6-1/2 inch. The rv sets about 1 to 2 inchs hi up front. Really appreciate your help. Happy camping and stay safe. Kip
Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
msp2jxr

If you raise the nose of the trailer to get more clearance between the bed rails wouldn't that take a little more weight off the truck axle and place it back on the trailer axles?
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote