Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Billy is that the Ford Performance lift on the truck? Since it's factory I assume it is. I couldn't tell from the photos but the shocks looked like Bilstein and I think the Ford Performance package uses them as well. I don't think the tire/wheel combo is Ford OE but may have been added by a dealer or owner? The offset on those wheels will kill your axles, spindles etc. Need to see if they are aftermarket wheels with additional offset, have spacers or what because those wheels/tires need to move in so the weight won't tear them up. If they are aftermarket wheels with extra offset that might get pretty expensive to replace and get back to OE spec. Wishing you luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #22
Billyk

12 inch tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Billy is that the Ford Performance lift on the truck? Since it's factory I assume it is. I couldn't tell from the photos but the shocks looked like Bilstein and I think the Ford Performance package uses them as well. I don't think the tire/wheel combo is Ford OE but may have been added by a dealer or owner? The offset on those wheels will kill your axles, spindles etc. Need to see if they are aftermarket wheels with additional offset, have spacers or what because those wheels/tires need to move in so the weight won't tear them up. If they are aftermarket wheels with extra offset that might get pretty expensive to replace and get back to OE spec. Wishing you luck.
The tires are 12 inch across x 35. I will have to buy tires and rims to get back to “normal” boy that is gonna cost a couple thousand. We are taking a 90 mile short trip in two weeks and nothing planned after that until next June. So I got time to save up.
Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #23
Billyk

Tire shop said I did not need new tires

Well I asked about new tires and rims. He walked out to the truck saw it and said estimate for tires and stock rims would be close to 3000. He said I did not need new tires and rims. I told him I was under the impression that I would wear out bearings and axel. They do that work there. He said that would be cheaper than new tires . He also has a 30 foot travel trailer. Has had them for 50 years since the late sixty’s. He had towed short distance without WD but said I should use mine, he has owned tire shops and is working for a big shop in Bay Area now because he retired and was bored. Great guy. Knows his stuff. Pulls dragsters in a trailer and camps like us too.
Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #24
Max23

Lol. Ya I'm sure replacing those parts would be cheaper than the redo. BUT, what's it worth to not have something break along side the road? Towing expenses add to that, time and frustration, not making it to reservations that can't be canceled. Hmmmm. Guess it depends on how far you plan on going. Wouldn't work for me cuz I like to put on some miles.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyk View Post
Well I asked about new tires and rims. He walked out to the truck saw it and said estimate for tires and stock rims would be close to 3000. He said I did not need new tires and rims. I told him I was under the impression that I would wear out bearings and axel. They do that work there. He said that would be cheaper than new tires . He also has a 30 foot travel trailer. Has had them for 50 years since the late sixty’s. He had towed short distance without WD but said I should use mine, he has owned tire shops and is working for a big shop in Bay Area now because he retired and was bored. Great guy. Knows his stuff. Pulls dragsters in a trailer and camps like us too.

I'm sure he knows his stuff about tires but offset wheels and larger tires DO put a lot more pressure on the ends of the axles - btdt. Saw it all time in the 4x4 world. Here's a link to what happens when they finally get worn out.

Imagine what that would be like with an RV attached to the back of that truck - pure chaos on the freeway and many lives in jeopardy. I've also seen the axle come out right behind the wheel.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:25 PM   #26
Harry Comes

You need to see what the backspace on the rim is. With proper backspace, those wheels and tired won't wear out anything. I swapped my oem 8" wide wheels and 265/75/18 tires for 9" wheels and 285/75/18 (35x12.5x18) tires. The truck had 25k on it when I swapped. I was starting to get the death wobble around 20k. Bridge joints would make it shake. Dealer said it was a faulty steering stabilizer, but they were back ordered. When I swapped wheels and tires, the wobble went away and never returned. I probably had another 10k miles on new tires before they swapped the stabilizer. The truck currently has 56k and tows my 11k 5th wheel and 25' enclosed trailer fine.

I wouldn't worry about your wheels and tires.
Harry Comes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

It's all good till it ain't.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #28
Harry Comes

Quote:
It's all good till it ain't.
It is all good. Had the truck up on my lift last week installing new Bilstein shocks and rotating the tires. Everything is tight.

FYI, Ford's tremor package comes with 35x12.5x18 tires. Don't be scared of something different.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:10 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Comes View Post
It is all good. Had the truck up on my lift last week installing new Bilstein shocks and rotating the tires. Everything is tight.

FYI, Ford's tremor package comes with 35x12.5x18 tires. Don't be scared of something different.
The Tremor, like the Lightning, make nice off road trucks. Personally, I would not not tow an RV with either one. I'm a staunch believer in using the tool that was designed for the task at hand. JMO, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 03:40 PM   #30
Harry Comes

There isn't anything special about the tremor package. The "lift" is really just the same height at pre 2020 trucks. They lowered the non tremor models in 2020. My 22 is of the "lower" height. I don't have a lift, and the 35's fit fine with no rubbing and don't stick out of the fender wellsClick image for larger version

Name:	20230803_193934.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	44765
Old 08-03-2023, 04:38 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

FYI I'm not afraid of something different. That said the Tremor is not a tow vehicle, it's a play toy truck meant for off road. Realize the Tremor is designed to be that "off road" truck at the expense of being a "work" or "tow" truck. The suspension, tires, height....ALL are detrimental to optimum towing and safety, that's just a fact. I've ran bigger tires, bigger trucks, taller lifts.....and broke many of them; I kinda know how that goes.

No, "different" isn't optimum when looking for a good, stable towing platform for a RV and trying to convince others that it's great isn't responsible. Sort of like "I tow my triple axle toy hauler at 80mph everywhere I go with my Tundra and it works great"....nah, it's not. It's good till it ain't.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:49 PM   #32
Harry Comes

Quote:
FYI I'm not afraid of something different. That said the Tremor is not a tow vehicle, it's a play toy truck meant for off road. Realize the Tremor is designed to be that "off road" truck at the expense of being a "work" or "tow" truck. The suspension, tires, height....ALL are detrimental to optimum towing and safety, that's just a fact. I've ran bigger tires, bigger trucks, taller lifts.....and broke many of them; I kinda know how that goes.

No, "different" isn't optimum when looking for a good, stable towing platform for a RV and trying to convince others that it's great isn't responsible. Sort of like "I tow my triple axle toy hauler at 80mph everywhere I go with my Tundra and it works great"....nah, it's not. It's good till it ain't.
You don't understand. The "tremor" package is nothing more than a sticker on the bed and a front locking diff. Ford made the 2020 superdutys and inch and a half lower than previous years. The tremor package puts them back to the same height as the previous years via front coils and rear blocks from the previous generation. If the tremor isn't a "tow vehicle, then neither is ANY 2017-2019 superduty because it's the same height and suspension. We aren't talking about a raptor or power wagon.

Now I agree, adding an aftermarket lift and 37"+ tires does affect towing, but the tremor package is just a feel good option they created for guys who want to look the part. The physical truck is no different than the previous ones.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:24 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a brief description of the Tremor package;

Tremor Off-Road Package Highlights include:
Exceptional approach and departure anglesdue to a nearly 2-inch front end lift and shorter air dam.
10.4 inches of ground clearance due to the largest diameter tires available on a heavy duty pickup. Off-road enthusiasts will appreciate the aggressive off-road tires, the massive 35 inch tires help provide grip in virtually all off-road conditions.
An impressive 33 inches of water fording
Off-Road Running Boardsthat tuck up next to the body for damage control are standard with the package.
New Dana® plate-type limited-slip front differential
Locking rear differential with electronic shift-on the-fly engagement
Progressive rate springs/unique front springs — ride height increase
Custom, performance 1.7-inch piston twin-tube shock absorbers, front and rear
Uniquely tuned rear stabilizer bar

Trail and Rock Crawl modes

Note there are no mods that include increased towing ability or stability, simply the opposite. Lifted front end, 35" tires, lift, unique progressive rate springs (off road not towing), custom performance twin tube shocks (read jounce control) and uniquely tuned rear stablilzer (read NOT tuned for towing). All the parts needed for guys that want to "look the part"....it's just not towing.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Those big wheels do come with a "penalty" in the Tremor package. Compared to the "non-Tremor" here's the ratings from the Ford 2023 Towing Guide: First weight is 6.7L HO Diesel "non-Tremor" Second weight is 6.7L HO Diesel Tremor package

F250/F250 Tremor

GCWR 31000/28300 (2700 less)

Max Conventional Trailer 22000/18200 (3800 less)

Max Fifth Wheel Trailer 21600/20000 (1600 less)

I'm not certain of the exact percentage the reduced ratings are affected by specific components in the Tremor package, but it's clear that the Tremor towing capacity is reduced when compared to the "non-Tremor" F250. How much those "big tires and wheels affect the reduction is anybody's best guess, but it's clear that Ford rated the Tremor at a reduced capacity for some reason.

There are similar reductions with the Tremor package in the F150/F250/F350 and F450 lines.

Info comes from the 2023 Ford Towing Guide pages 27/28 https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...e_r3_Feb21.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote