Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #21
{tpc}

Our dealers PDI walk through was a bit less than stellar. We did find a few things that they took care of on the spot, but things like running water through, and showing us, didn't happen. Well I mean they said they did it, it appeared they did it, but we didn't actually see it. Instead they assured us that it was in their best interest that we not have to bring the trailer back to them right away for warranty work. In the end I guess they were right.

Funny thing was, the guy that set up and installed the hitch was impressive! Very knowledgeable about the process and did a great job explaining everything. So much so that when I got a new TV, I brought it back to them and paid them to set it all up again with the new TV. To my dismay however, they had someone else do it, and it wasn't right. At that point I was pretty much never going back there again, and was elated to get a request for a review of their service in my email, so I could tell them how unhappy I was. To my surprise I was contacted right away by the manager who did what I wanted to remedy the problem at no charge at my convenience.

I don't know why such a difference in how things went down, or why customer service isn't a bigger part of this industry. I guess they must sell so many of these things that good service to them isn't necessary, because they make all their money in the high markups, and have a never ending supply of customers?

I don't expect warranty work to be a money maker for anyone, but isn't there some recourse dealers can take against manufacturers to be properly compensated for jobs? You shouldn't have to only get paid for 8 if doing 15 hours of work.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

When a warranty repair takes longer than the allotted time, you have to have a TON of pictures and write a novel in hope that the factory finds it a " best seller' and pays the additional time.

Sometimes I feel like I am a published author!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #23
ancha71

Conducting a PDI Next Week

I am scheduled to pick up my new Montana High Country 305RL this coming April 1, 2014 (I should have changed the date!). The unit came off the assembly line on March 6th and arrived at the dealership March 23rd. I told my Salesman about the PDI I got from this forum and he kind of looked surprised that I would be using one. I live 98 miles away from the dealership and want the unit to be free of any major defects so I don't have to haul it back. I'm hoping I don't experience the same thing the original poster went through, however my salesman asked if I wanted them to show me how to de-winterize the unit. He said it would be inside and they will put water in it to test for leaks. I purposely scheduled it as early as I could so I can conduct the walk-thru before I pay for it, and still have time to get my truck hitched up and on the road. Thanks all those who posted on this thread as it gives me good food for thought as what to do should things go awry.
ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #24
Festus2
Site Team

The time and effort that is put into a customer walk-through depends upon the dealership, the guy doing it, and to some extent, the customer.

If the dealership believes that a walk-through is an important part of the sale and customer service then the chances of getting a thorough PDI are pretty good. The dealership would have probably made this a priority and will ensure that they have an experienced and knowledgeable person doing the orientation. They would want to go the extra mile to make sure that their customer is being looked after and that they value his business - before, during and after the sale.

Sometimes, the customer may get "stuck" with someone who really doesn't know too much about the unit and really doesn't care. He may have been pulled off a job to go out and show Mr and Mrs. RVer about some model which he has never been in or worked on. He may be new on the job and is there "learning the ropes" and you just happen to be his students for the time being. (Just guessing here what might go on...)

The prospective buyers may be newbies and don't know a thing about an RV. They don't know what questions to ask. Ask about the location of the water pump? What pump? You mean there is a water pump in here? That is why it is important for a prospective buyer to do some research beforehand and take some responsibility for finding out about some of the basics. Joining a forum is one way to learn some of the ABC's of RVing.

It seems that walk-throughs are all over the map when it comes to thoroughness and customer satisfaction. Hopefully, yours will be a positive experience.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #25
firekat96

We picked up our new Carbon 357 yesterday and our PDI lasted a whole 20 minutes. This is our 1st 5ver but not first Keystone so many things were the same. The guy giving us the PDI was very knowledgeable about our unit and kept asking if we had any questions or concerns. Though this was very quick I do feel we got a very good PDI. Now if this was a first rv this yes I would be very unhappy and probably lost.
firekat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 View Post
We picked up our new Carbon 357 yesterday and our PDI lasted a whole 20 minutes. This is our 1st 5ver but not first Keystone so many things were the same. The guy giving us the PDI was very knowledgeable about our unit and kept asking if we had any questions or concerns. Though this was very quick I do feel we got a very good PDI. Now if this was a first rv this yes I would be very unhappy and probably lost.
Not to be critical of this experience, but the view of many followers of this forum feel there is a difference between the dealer walk through, and a good Pre-delivery Inspection. Prior to our current RV, I would have been satisfied with a good dealer walk through, and for our current RV I felt the person who did the walk through did an excellent job. Like you, this wasn't our first RV, so we knew how most features of RV's work, like the frig, water heater, slides, awning, dumping the tanks, propane, etc. were all covered. Then we took it home.

Went to fill and sanitize the fresh water tank, and water ran out as fast as we put it in - yes, the valve was closed. Took it in, and they temporarily repaired it, but had to order a new fresh water tank. Took it out on our break in trip, and went to dump it, and water ran out everywhere, as all the waste water valves and pipes were broken.

Since we had to take it back for the fresh water tank replacement, we gave the dealer a list of the many problems we found. The dealer fixed every item, but in retrospect if we would have had the dealer fill the fresh water tank, test the pump, and then dumped the black and grey water tanks, it would have prevented a likely return to the dealer. Also know of someone who's Microwave didn't work, yet this seems like such a simple item to be tested and checked. I'd be willing to say they didn't even plug the unit into a power outlet, turn on the AC, Microwave, or any other appliance, but just talked about them.

Not saying you didn't get a good dealer walkthrough, but that isn't a PDI. Take the PDI checklist and check the features and all items.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

PDI's and walkthrough's are two completely separate activities.

PDI is a PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION. The selling dealer should be testing everything in the sold unit, noting any defects and repairing all that can be before the customer shows up to take delivery.

The walkthrough is when the unit is supposed to be demostrated to the buyer, showing how everything works, and if a defect exists that could not be repaired prior to delivery, what steps are in place to correct said issue.

Not all dealers follow this, and that's where problems begin. I have a form that I sign and date and am held responsible for, that I did in fact test everything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 AM   #28
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
PDI's and walkthrough's are two completely separate activities.

PDI is a PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION. The selling dealer should be testing everything in the sold unit, noting any defects and repairing all that can be before the customer shows up to take delivery.

The walkthrough is when the unit is supposed to be demostrated to the buyer, showing how everything works, and if a defect exists that could not be repaired prior to delivery, what steps are in place to correct said issue.

Not all dealers follow this, and that's where problems begin. I have a form that I sign and date and am held responsible for, that I did in fact test everything.
Amen!

I do the PDI and the final walk through separately... The dealers may not like it but that is their problem if they want to make a sale.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #29
mowin

I pick up my Laredo 329re Saturday. I was told the PDI would take 1 1/2 hrs. The winterizing of this fiver seems like its going to be a little more complex than my tt. Were is this PDI list everyone keeps talking about?
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
I pick up my Laredo 329re Saturday. I was told the PDI would take 1 1/2 hrs. The winterizing of this fiver seems like its going to be a little more complex than my tt. Were is this PDI list everyone keeps talking about?
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #31
notanlines

Mowin, I tried to find the list for you but the search on this forum is all but impossible to use. One of the moderators (or someone with more patience than me) will answer your question.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #32
notanlines

Yep, I did look a little harder and found that the location had already been posted.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthr...ight=checklist
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #33
mowin

Thanks for posting the link.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #34
pmedic433

When we picked up out Cougar 326SRX we actually showed up the night before on site and was allowed to stay overnight on their lot. The next morning I was doing my own PDI 2 hours before the first employee showed up. Checked everything on the list from this site. Filled every tank. and had a list of minor cosmetic things that needed to be fixed. My dealer is 4 1/2 hrs. away and they encourage overnights to check everything out. We even found a campsite 10 min away and stayed another night.
pmedic433 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi checklist