Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
davidjsimons

Tst 507

I recently purchased a TST 507. It seems to take the unit a couple of minutes to acquire a signal from all of the sensors. Is this normal or should it acquire the signal upon power? Once the signal was acquired, all pressures and temperatures seemed to be accurate and very much in the same range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Jay Pat

I have the same and it takes a few minutes.
I turn it on, do something else and come back to check the readings.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure how that system operates, but in the Ford TPMS system, all the wheel sensors have a motion switch and a time delay. After a set time (I think 2 minutes) the sensors turn off unless there is motion on the sensor. To me, that means that the sensor doesn't send "new information" until after the vehicle is moving again. You may want to do some double checking to see if that's the same with your sensors. If it is, then what you get once the system boots up is the "last known sensor output" until the sensor is reactivated. That could lead to a "false good reading" if you just hook up the RV and check pressure with the TPMS rather than a tire pressure guage.

Maybe I'm off base on your system, I am not familiar with it, but the battery in the sensor most likely couldn't stay powered on "forever" or it would run down to quickly to be functional for any great length of time.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
davidjsimons

Thanks for the information. From what I have read, they are motion activated. From a lot of what I have read, this may have been a wise preventative investment. They are also air pressure activated as well. So that when you install them on your valve stems, the sudden pressure will activate the sensor. I have not moved the trailer since I installed them. I guess I will understand it better after I do.
JRTJH , your comment about checking with the display verses a gauge does stand to reason though. I had considered that, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. I did buy the flow through sensors though. I just need to remove the security caps. I keep my unit at home and theft is not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
B&T

I have used the older TST 510 system for a couple of years and from talking with the folks at TST they are similar.

The sensors will transmit immediately when an event occurs such as a sudden change in pressure or alarm points have been reached -- pressure or temp.

Once they are on your tires and there are no drastic pressure or temperature changes going on, they only transmit updates every few minutes(to save battery power). So if the sensors are already on and you turn on the receiver, it will take a few minutes for all the sensor data to show up. In my experience with my system, all my sensors will do idle transmissions within 5 minutes.

In operation, i have noted tire pressures and temps rising overall once on the road -- more on hot days. Also noted slight pressure and temp differential between the sunny and shady side at times.

Added for info: There is a very long thread over at irv.com (search for "TST System") -- dating back to 2010 and The TST Company responds to customer comments about their systems
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote