Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Keithcanuck

Question Design Flaw

I have a 2008 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 31. What I find strange is that the factory installed awning is positioned so low that when I put the awning down to keep the rain off and to prevent any water from laying in a huge bulge in the middle, the door cannot be opened without scraping the awning. Most makes have the awning high enough so you can tilt the awning and still open the door.
Keithcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
{tpc}

My passport is similar in that if you tilt the awning into the lowest position, or close to it, the top of the door will rub against it. Not sure how yours works or how it was explained, but what I was told is that you can lock one arm, but leave the other side a little loose, and the puddled water will "dip" off to that one side automatically.

Personally I just would keep it at a tilt to one side or the other (locking both arms) and let the water run off that way. That and if its a particularly stormy night, my awning won't be out for fear of damage from wind.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
GaryWT

I believe that is very common. Usually if you lower the end opposite of the door you still have clearance. If not, most RV stores sell a wheel that you attach to the corner of the door and the wheel rolls on the awning so the door is not rubbing against it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
theeyres

Both my former Arctic Fox fiver and my current Hideout are that way.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
wahoonc

The roller wheel is a carry over from the days that doors had square, sharp corners that could tear an awning. Much less of an issue with the current radius door tops. I would try to tip the awning the other way from the door if it really bothers you that much. Some of the power awnings have some sort of dump feature that is supposed to release rain water and keep it from ponding. I don't have a power awning so no clue on how or if that works.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
most RV stores sell a wheel that you attach to the corner of the door and the wheel rolls on the awning so the door is not rubbing against it.
I remember my uncle doing this back in the 70's.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
GaryWT

I have the power awning and it does dump the water, works well. I can also lower one side or the other if I want the water to go to a certain side.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Pappydude

My Cougar 318SAB has the power awning and the first time I saw the water dump off of it I thought I'd seriously broken something! Scared the crap outta' me!
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Keithcanuck

Problem solved thanks

I found a caster from an old bed- the vinyl one that is quite wide. I'm going to mount it on the top of the door. Appreciate all the hints.
Keithcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 AM   #10
jerryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithcanuck View Post
I have a 2008 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 31. What I find strange is that the factory installed awning is positioned so low that when I put the awning down to keep the rain off and to prevent any water from laying in a huge bulge in the middle, the door cannot be opened without scraping the awning. Most makes have the awning high enough so you can tilt the awning and still open the door.
It seems that the factory has realized this on the cougars. The new ones have round corners on the doors. The new hideouts awnings are actually pretty high above the door and they too have round corners. You can see what I'm talking about in the videos

Hideout

Cougar
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote