Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Whitewolf

Doin' the High Country Slide

Several weeks ago we went to Hartwick Pines State Campground in Grayling, MI. If any of you have been to that campground, you already know of the winding road to the campground after you check in. If you haven't been to that campground, theres a winding road to the campground after you check in.

As we were rounding the curves, we'd hear and feel a thud. It felt and sounded like it was coming from under the truck.

I cautiously limped into the campground and after setting up camp, proceeded to crawl all over the underside of the truck. Maybe a weld broke on the factory under bed 5th wheel crossmember. Nope. Something with the transmission. Nope. Something with the front end. Nope.

Going into Grayling for my archery shoot, I tried to get the feel and noise to come back. Nope. It appeared it happened only when hooked up. That left the Reese Goosebox. (I'll give a full evaluation of that hitch in another post)

On the way out of the campground, are you ready for this, Shirley readily agreed to hunker down in the bed of the truck, at the front, to watch the Goosebox. To see if anything was moving that shouldn't and to make sure things that were supposed to move, did. Nope.

But we still heard the noise. We determined it was coming from the High Country. So she volunteered to ride in the camper to figure out what was going on.

I pulled out on the highway and slowly did a few zigs and zags(no more curves). Pulled over, went to retrieve her and yup, it was one of the bedroom closet doors sliding back and forth. One of them latches ok and the other doesn't. So until I can get to the dealer for a fix, we slide both doors to one side and stick that tootsie roll pillow that's from the bed in the opening. So far that works.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
WaltBennett

There's been several posts on MOC by owners of new Montanas on this problem. Guess Keystone went to a lower bidder for the door hardware as older units seldom have this issue.

We've been to Grayling several times, but stayed at the Camp's CG - old, but nice.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
jsmith948

Whitewolf - hats off to your DW. Sounds like one brave lady

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
gearhead

X2 on the brave lady!
My closet doors do the same. The curb side door works OK. That clear plastic strap and snap on the drivers side has never worked.
I bought a 1.250" wooden dowel rod and cut it to fit in the bottom track.
I'll have that on the "punch list" for the dealer, but I can't imagine how they will fix it.
Hang on ...I'm thinkin....maybe some bubblegum in the snap...to snug it up! lol
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Whitewolf

Walt- The hardware is a simple cheap plastic strip screwed to the wall with a button snap on the door. I'll check MOC, maybe someone has figured a fix.

Js and Gearhead - Yes she is.
It's on my punch list also.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
Old 07-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Whitewolf

Gearhead- When you said you were experiencing problems on the drivers side door, that's the same as me. So I poured me a couple of ounces of Linie Aquavit, went to the camper, sat on the bed and pondered our problem.

Then I saw what the problem is. It's a matter of angles. The passenger side door is on the outside and obviously that makes the drivers side door on the inside.

Look at the angles of the straps. The passenger side strap angle is minimal while the drivers side is almost at 90deg. That setup just begs for the button snap to pop off.

The only solution I see is to relocate the whole drivers side setup in towards the center of the door about 6" or so. Get it away from going around the door frame.

I think the whole thing is Mickey Mouse. Eventually button snaps wear. I've got an idea for a fix but I have to wait til Wednesday to go to town to get what I think I need.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
gearhead

Same here...I can't imagine the fix. Let us know if yours works. So far the dowel is simple enough. Not exactly "HELIUM TECHNOLOGY" but what is?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Same here...I can't imagine the fix. Let us know if yours works. So far the dowel is simple enough. Not exactly "HELIUM TECHNOLOGY" but what is?
Any relation to "Hot Air?"
Both are lighter than their surroundings.

And my couch drawer slides open unless we wedge a lawn chair or something between it and the recliners opposite. Trouble shooting only involved opening the door and glancing inside.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Whitewolf

SkiSmuggs - They actually pump helium into the walls during construction. Really. Trust me. I saw it on the internet.