Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
larrym

Auxiliary fuel tank in Texas

My '09 2500HD Duramax only has a 26 gallon tank, I'm going to either install or have installed, an auxiliary tank in the bed of my truck, but can find very few outlets in the Austin area with anything decent. I like the TransferFlow system that monitors both tanks, but the cost is very high and shipping to me is almost $200.00. Add to that installation if it doesn't come with instructions another $300.00, you're looking at about $2,300.00 for a 30 gallon tank.

Are these tanks hard to install/wire up? I like the add on lift kit from TransferFlow, and wonder what that consists of, I have a short bed 2500HD Diesel truck.

Anyone in the central Texas area know of a good source?

Thanks
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
smiller

If you're looking to do it on the cheap Tractor Supply usually has a selection of diesel tanks designed for a pickup bed at reasonable prices. You would have to rig up your own transfer system though.

Also keep in mind that you can easily add significant weight with an auxiliary tank and you might want to do the math first to be sure you will maintain a safe rear axle load.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
larrym

I've looked at Tractor Supply, the only real "extra" I'm looking for is fuel transfer capability and tank level on the fly. I don't see that on their tank.
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
fred

i have a 40 gal mounted in bed and if i remember the manf. was in texas. it uses the trucks fuel pump and gauge and has been trouble free for 5 years.pm me if more info needed and will find there phone number for you if needed.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
geo

Thumbs up ATTA Tanks

Larry -

Last year at this time, I had a bed tank installed by ATTA of Fort Worth. It might be worth a drive up here to get a tank. The tank I got was the AT94WX. It is a triangular shaped tank so it does not restrict the view of the hitch when hooking up. The transfer system taps into the overflow on the fill neck of the standard fuel tank. It works GREAT! ATTA have a variety of tanks and tank/toolboxes all made locally. The website you should browse is http://attatank.com. Please let me state that this is not meant to be a commercial endorsement, but one very happy and satisfied customer. I will also admit, I let them do the work. It took them only about three hours to install the tank, hook it into the fuel system, mount the extra fuel gauge, and all the wiring. Yes, I am very happy with my tank. Besides, there are fuel fill points on each side, so I am no longer challenged with finding a diesel pump (at Kroger locally) that I can quickly pull up to on the left side!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

In the latest issue of Trailer Life, there's an article about a new replacement tank for the F250/350. 58 gallons, replaces the factory tank, no modifications needed, cost about $975 and $200 for installation. Uses the factory fuel pump and fittings, has a new sending unit that improves accuracy. Not sure if they have any models for the GM folks, but probably do since they are not exclusively a Ford aftermarket company.

But, my question would be, with the pin weight already in your truck, will the additional weight of another 30 gallons of diesel keep you below your GVW?

If you want more info and can't find it, let me know, I'll look it up for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
But, my question would be, with the pin weight already in your truck, will the additional weight of another 30 gallons of diesel keep you below your GVW?
Yeah, that's what killed the idea for me. Any SRW truck with a mid-to-large-size 5th wheel is going to be very near or at its limit as it is and an additional fuel load might be really pushing it. I would definitely suggest weighing the fully loaded rig to see if you can handle the additional weight. I know that was not the original question and not trying to be the weight police, but just sayin' in case this factor was overlooked. Having done that I'll say no more.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

smiller, this is off topic (to a certain extent) but something that I found very interesting in another post a while back:

The 3/4 ton series was originally built as a compromise for those who lived in areas where the 10K GVW was the turning point in expensive registrations/taxes/licensure. It was conceived as an "inbetween" for the 1/2 ton to 1 ton market. Designed originally to have a gas engine, it was projected to carry roughly 3500 lbs and it fit that niche very well. Then along came the demand for diesel engines (about 1000 to 1200 lbs more weight than a gas engine) and the payload dropped from 3500 to 2500 lbs. Still, the truck fits the needs of those who mainlly need a "heavy half" and want a diesel but don't want to pay the increased fees associated with the 350/3500 series over 10K GVW.

We, in the RV market still look at it as a versatile tow vehicle for our use. In many cases it is, but it's nowhere near an "almost 350 or 3500 vehicle"

Many 3/4 trucks are at or over the GVW when towing a fifth wheel, yet we don't really get that critical because it's always been that way. Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
larrym

Ron, before I saw your post, I contacted American Tank up in Pilot Point. The owner offered to build a tank to my specs, reduced footprint, etc., and will have it ready in about a week. I can drive up to get it. I actually prefer being able to draw from each tank separately vs. transfer, just personal preference.

I really appreciate the input from all you folks!
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR

Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
W5WI

I replaced my stock 19 gallon tank in my '04 Chevy Duramax with a 55 gallon Super tank. It fits in the space the original tank was mounted and uses the fuel pump and gauge from the original tank.

Because of a shipping error I ended up with two new 55-gallon tanks. I'd like to sell the one I'm not using. If interested PM me. The tank is in Buffalo Gap, TX just south of Abilene. I think $450 is a fair price but make an offer!
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote