Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2024, 02:01 PM   #1
Bluecube

Question about the Furrion Camera

My 2024 Alpine 330CK is "camera ready" and I'll be installing a
Furrion Vision S 3-Camera with the rear Sharkfin camera and the 2 Side Running Light Cameras this week. Looking over the installation instructions it's easy enough. The 2 side cameras slide into the existing lights where the dummy plugs are and receive power when the lights are on. The rear camera is installed after the plastic cap is removed to expose the power cable. My question is does anyone know if this power cable is on only when the marker lights are on or is it powered all the time? I'm hoping it's only when the marker lights are on otherwise it will be on all the time and drain my battery. My research has found others have inserted an inline switch to control the power. Just not sure until I do the install how Keystone wired it so I thought I'd post the question. Thanks!
Bluecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
RJS3791RD

On my Montana they are only powered when running lights are on
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:19 PM   #3
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
On my Montana they are only powered when running lights are on
Thanks! Hope is not a strategy, but I'm hoping mine is wired the same way.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:04 PM   #4
GlasNav

Power should come from the running lights, that is their design.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:42 PM   #5
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Power should come from the running lights, that is their design.
Great and thanks for the info. I'm not sure why others with Keystones are wiring in a switch. Maybe their campers are older and not camera ready. Cheers!
Old 02-18-2024, 04:39 PM   #6
Camping family

They on;y work when plugged into you vehicle and lights are on
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:37 PM   #7
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
They on;y work when plugged into you vehicle and lights are on
Good deal and thanks for the confirmation! Be safe out there!!
Old 02-18-2024, 05:58 PM   #8
Wyldfire

Vehicle light switch has to be turned to "on" not auto or the camera will not have power during daylight. Also if you have a late model GM vehicle you will need an adapter for the camera to get proper power.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:02 PM   #9
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Vehicle light switch has to be turned to "on" not auto or the camera will not have power during daylight. Also if you have a late model GM vehicle you will need an adapter for the camera to get proper power.
I appreciate the "on" not auto tip, thanks!

2024 Keystone Alpine 3303CK
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Diesel
USAF - Retired + DoD Federal Contractor - Retired (38yrs Service)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:39 PM   #10
Old Mustanger

Not always wired to the running lights. Mine is connected thru an "accessory" fuse that my HVAC thermostat is also connected to.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 06:38 AM   #11
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Not always wired to the running lights. Mine is connected thru an "accessory" fuse that my HVAC thermostat is also connected to.
Ugh. I hope mine is wired to the marker lights.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:42 AM   #12
Bluecube

Update to my Furrion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
My 2024 Alpine 330CK is "camera ready" and I'll be installing a
Furrion Vision S 3-Camera with the rear Sharkfin camera and the 2 Side Running Light Cameras this week. Looking over the installation instructions it's easy enough. The 2 side cameras slide into the existing lights where the dummy plugs are and receive power when the lights are on. The rear camera is installed after the plastic cap is removed to expose the power cable. My question is does anyone know if this power cable is on only when the marker lights are on or is it powered all the time? I'm hoping it's only when the marker lights are on otherwise it will be on all the time and drain my battery. My research has found others have inserted an inline switch to control the power. Just not sure until I do the install how Keystone wired it so I thought I'd post the question. Thanks!
I just pulled the dummy cap off the rear of the camper. The Keystone Wiring Standard tells me the wires are green and white. My wiring loop clipped into the dummy cap is red/white. I called Keystone and asked what the colors should be without telling them what I had. They said green/white. And referenced the installation video plus sent me the wiring standard. Finally the rep said sometimes they run out of wire and have it use something else do to supply chain problems. Not complaining, just passing info on so others will know if they find what did. Anyone else have a red/white loop or something else non standard? I'm presuming red is + and white is a neutral or - which is a "normal" electrical power standard. Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2024, 10:08 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The forum is "filled with Keystone wiring color code exceptions"....

To me, the "Keystone document detailing wire colors" is more a "suggested we use when we can" type of document.

These photos should give you some indication of just how "not precise" the Keystone wiring practices are on the assembly line.

I'd suspect there are as many "my wires were missing" as there are "my wires aren't green and white".... So your "wire identification" doesn't come as a surprise.... Trailers are wired "like houses" not like "computer assembled automobiles on a robotic assembly line".....

Keep in mind that even if you do measure 12 VDC on those wires, when using a recent GM truck 7 pin umbilical wiring, you may not have enough amperage to operate the Furrion camera system. Seems that GM changed out how they supply running light power to the trailer and now it is "computer generated with a modulated signal" as part of the "energy savings management"... There is a "add on device" for recent GM trucks to compensate. I don't know if your truck requires the device or not, but before you head "down an endless rabbithole" I'd check to see exactly which 7 pin umbilical wiring you have, assuming when you hook the camera up to those red/white wires, it doesn't work. If it works, all is good.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0316.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	46272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0315.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	46273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0328.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	46274  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:16 AM   #14
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

To me, the "Keystone document detailing wire colors" is more a "suggested we use when we can" type of document.

These photos should give you some indication of just how "not precise" the Keystone wiring practices are on the assembly line.

I'd suspect there are as many "my wires were missing" as there are "my wires aren't green and white".... So your "wire identification" doesn't come as a surprise.... Trailers are wired "like houses" not like "computer assembled automobiles on a robotic assembly line".....

Keep in mind that even if you do measure 12 VDC on those wires, when using a recent GM truck 7 pin umbilical wiring, you may not have enough amperage to operate the Furrion camera system. Seems that GM changed out how they supply running light power to the trailer and now it is "computer generated with a modulated signal" as part of the "energy savings management"... There is a "add on device" for recent GM trucks to compensate. I don't know if your truck requires the device or not, but before you head "down an endless rabbithole" I'd check to see exactly which 7 pin umbilical wiring you have, assuming when you hook the camera up to those red/white wires, it doesn't work. If it works, all is good.....
Nice. I should have guess the standard is only a suggestion. Thanks for the tip on checking out the 7 pin harness. I'll check that out. Thanks and cheers!

Old 02-19-2024, 11:28 AM   #15
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I called my local dealership and asked about GM using a power management system. The tech told me that GM is using one on newer trucks like mine, a 2020. So I just ordered the Furrion Adapter (Furrion Vision S® 7-Way Adapter with Power Switch for RV Camera System #F2BC004XXBK) off Amazon. If I need it, I'll have it. If not, I'll send it back. Once again, a big thanks for the "adapter tip". Joining this forum has already proved a good move!

Old 02-25-2024, 08:52 AM   #16
Gamma

On My 2021 Alpine the rear camera is always powered if on shore power or if the truck is connected regardless of running lights. It’s funny as if I get in the truck to do an errand I’m viewing the back of the camper until I get out of wireless range. I haven’t tried it but I have to assume it’s powered even when not on shore power which would be battery draining. Something I will need to check when the cover comes off next month. What did you end up finding with your unit?
AirLift system
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:32 AM   #17
GlasNav

Gamma: Furrion recommends wiring the camera to the running / clearance light circuit. This way the camera is only on when you have lights on.
The only difference if it was the installer's intention to use the camera(s) as a security monitoring system.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:15 AM   #18
Mike302RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
I just pulled the dummy cap off the rear of the camper. The Keystone Wiring Standard tells me the wires are green and white. My wiring loop clipped into the dummy cap is red/white. I called Keystone and asked what the colors should be without telling them what I had. They said green/white. And referenced the installation video plus sent me the wiring standard. Finally the rep said sometimes they run out of wire and have it use something else do to supply chain problems. Not complaining, just passing info on so others will know if they find what did. Anyone else have a red/white loop or something else non standard? I'm presuming red is + and white is a neutral or - which is a "normal" electrical power standard. Thanks again!
FYI. Mine were Pink and white and it didn’t work. Dealer had re-splice the wire together and the run a new green/white wire from the marker lights. Keystone approved it as warranty work thankfully
Mike302RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:57 AM   #19
Bluecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike302RS View Post
FYI. Mine were Pink and white and it didn’t work. Dealer had re-splice the wire together and the run a new green/white wire from the marker lights. Keystone approved it as warranty work thankfully
That's exactly where I'm at. Mine were red and white. I hooked them up per the recommendation of Keystone Customer Service after telling me "Sometimes the factory runs out of the correct wire and they use what they have on hand. Well it was Constant 12VDC and that is a non starter. It would have potentially run down my batteries as the camera would have been on all the time. So I spliced them back together and talked to a different Keystone Customer Service Rep who was really good. He said, yeah that isn't correct. Take it to the dealer and it will be fixed under warranty. It's at the dealer now for that and a small list of other warranty work we identified within the 1st week weeks we owned the camper. And by the way, my side cameras wouldn't work either. Turned out they were wired wrong at the factory. Lippert/Furrion Tech support had me remove the yellow wire that was connected to 12VDC. Those work fine now. My dealer said it's not the first nor the last wiring problem they will see.

Old 02-25-2024, 01:52 PM   #20
jxnbbl

This is in here someplace but could be useful in this discussion. Its the wire diagram for keystone
Attached Files
File Type: pdf keystone wiring diagram.pdf (951.0 KB, 43 views)
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote