Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #21
Javi

Almost every TT you see on the road has holes drilled in the frame for hitch attachments of one kind or another and in the 40 odd years I've been around the world of trailers I've never seen or heard of a frame warranty being voided because of it. If that were the case the hitch design would have been changed years ago.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #22
Rick G

Yesterday when I was talking to Keystone tech support I tried to get them to say what they would recommend, all they would say is "we won't recommend a hitch" the gal did say they use Reese products on some of their 5th wheel hitches, but nothing on the TT's. If someone has a direct communication with Keystone please drop a word for us. Thanks

Carol & Rick
Jack (Border Collie Mix)
Daffy "The Baby" (Lab Mix)
2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie, Crew Cab, DRW, 8' Bed, 6.7L Cummins
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Yesterday when I was talking to Keystone tech support I tried to get them to say what they would recommend, all they would say is "we won't recommend a hitch" the gal did say they use Reese products on some of their 5th wheel hitches, but nothing on the TT's. If someone has a direct communication with Keystone please drop a word for us. Thanks
You won't get Keystone to commit to any specific hitch brand. They aren't in the hitch business. If someone in their CS department told you to "get a Reese" and if anything should happen...... They also won't tell you that your warranty remains valid if you drill holes, (sure as heck, someone will come in with a "swiss cheese tongue" filled with hundreds of holes saying, "But you told me I could drill holes....."

They, like any company, take the "neutral road" and won't tell you what you can/can't do with regards to accessories. That's not their business model. They do leave it up to the dealership to help you make those decisions.

If you are buying from a dealership with "bolt on hitches" they will tell you, "Holes void your warranty" If you're buying from a dealership with "drilled on hitches," you won't hear those words.....

As stated, In all my years of being around travel trailers, I have yet to see one with a sway bar that wasn't attached to a tongue plate that was clamped on (without drilled holes). They ALL are either welded or drilled and screwed to the tongue. I've never heard of a warranty refusal because of the holes......

And, if you care to take a peek under your RV, you'll find at least 60 (or more) holes in the frame that were drilled into it when the factory installed the coroplast, gas line, front and rear scissors jacks, step assembly (the list goes on and on).....

It really comes down to whether you want to deal with the "slipping hitch brackets" or if you want to resolve your problem... Nobody on this forum can decide what you do, but if hitches were counted, you'll probably find that 50% are bolted and 50% are drilled. None of the membership has ever reported a warranty refusal based on a drilled hole and "TRUST ME" if it had happened, it would definitely make its way to our pages in record time.

Our record for hearing about the negatives from Keystone is "legendary"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #24
Rick G

Thanks JRTJH, I just got off the phone with Javi and we've got this thing figured out, I really appreciate all the help and experience you guys have provided. I'm sure glad I joined this forum, a great group of people.

Also, special thanks to Javi for explaining things more in-depth, I learned at least one extremely important, towing speed, pay attention.

I have to go mow so I'll catch later. Thanks

Carol & Rick
Jack (Border Collie Mix)
Daffy "The Baby" (Lab Mix)
2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie, Crew Cab, DRW, 8' Bed, 6.7L Cummins
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote