Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Schmackpappy

Adding a ladder

The Passport 2920bh that I purchased does not have a roof access ladder. Is it possible to add one? Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
Schmackpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Some RV's have the "hidden" support system in the roof to support a roof ladder. Unfortunately, many of the "lightweight" trailers do not have this support system (eliminated as a weight saving feature). Some passport owners have commented that they were told there is no support structure to install a ladder. You can do a forum search for "Ladder" and "passport ladder" and find several informative threads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

Also, make sure your roof is capable of supporting any weight. I don't my Passport roof is.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Schmackpappy

Thanks for the reply, John. I did a little more searching after I posted and it seems like it isn't a good idea to add one to a Passport. I'm going to buy a telescoping ladder and put in the trailer storage. Problem solved.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Schmackpappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Also, make sure your roof is capable of supporting any weight. I don't my Passport roof is.
I just want to access the roof not necessarily walk on it.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
crohill

bought a telescoping ladder. All you need is ten feet to comfortably get on the roof and use around the whole trailer. I like this better as I use it to clean off slide out at the end of the trip and also to fix anything anywhere on the trailer.

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
greengiant

Where did you get the telescoping ladder? I've been eyeing one of those up, as it seems like it would be easier to stick in the back storage, or possibly would rest between spare and trailer, on top of bumper. My 6' folding alumnium ladder will not fit, as the Hideout bumper is partially tucked under rear of trailer. They seemed expensive when I saw them places and I've spent over my budget for add-ons/accessories since getting into this camper.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
Schmackpappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant View Post
Where did you get the telescoping ladder? I've been eyeing one of those up, as it seems like it would be easier to stick in the back storage, or possibly would rest between spare and trailer, on top of bumper. My 6' folding alumnium ladder will not fit, as the Hideout bumper is partially tucked under rear of trailer. They seemed expensive when I saw them places and I've spent over my budget for add-ons/accessories since getting into this camper.

Look on Amazon or Ebay
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
audio1der

Those telescopic ladders are sweet, but pricey and heavy.
I bought a class III (200lb rated) aluminum folding ladder which sits on the rear bumper. I don't trust the bumper, but the ladder weighs about 12lbs, so...
I walk/crawl on my roof at least a couple times a year without worry, nd I'm 6', 210lbs.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote