Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
elbyjo

Gas BBQ

Our 2012 19' Passport came with a small gas BBQ that you mount on the outside wall of the RV and connect it to the gas line. Not really impressed with the little BBQ has I have a major problem lighting it every time we go out and then it appears the flame is extremely low, even with the valve turned fully on. It takes forever to just warm up a hot dog! Anybody have an idea as to if it is a faulty feeder line from the tanks or it is just a bad set up! Thanks.
elbyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Bob Landry

Make sure that they didn't give you a grill with a regulator on it. The connection at the side of the trailer is already regulated to low pressure..
If it doesn't have one, then you just have a weak grill and I would lok at something like a small Weber.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
elbyjo

Bob -- thanks. The BBQ that came with the RV has no regulator on it at all, just a straight hose from the BBQ to the connector at the side of the RV. I had heard that the connection was a "low pressure" one, but now I fully understand. While it is really convenient to have the little BBQ connected to the RV, I just can't continue with the battles I undertake every trip just to get it lit. I guess the recommendation is to just get a different gas BBQ and carry a dedicated gas tank for it that has a regulator on the hose? Thanks much.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
byrdr1

Can you drill out these orifices?
to allow more gas to come through them?
Just thinking out loud.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
elbyjo

Just remember we are talking about a very cheap model BBQ that came with the RV. You can put two hamburger patties on it and it is full. Now would it help to buy a hose with a regulator on it -- if such a thing exists!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Can you drill out these orifices?
to allow more gas to come through them?
Just thinking out loud.
randy
X 2, it's not hard and you'll get more BTU.
A regulator will make things worst, just connect direct.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
elbyjo

We are using the direct connection that came with the BBQ and that is the reason for my headaches! Low gas pressure. Now the options I am hearing are (1) Drill out the orifices or (2) Buy another BBQ and get a separate propane tank for it. Am I correct ??? Thanks much again.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Steve S

Chuck it and do a search here on BBQ's there's some very good threads.
BTW I run this BBQ directly off of the trailer and I have had no problems!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-29 20.00.20 (1).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	6603  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
elbyjo

So you are saying that even with the low pressure coming from the tanks, I should be able to get a new BBQ and connect it without any problems and without any headaches?? If so, should I continue to use the hose from this one and get a new hose?

Thanks ---
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

How about looking at the BBQ you have and make sure it is not plugged up. I likely have the same one and it is not as good as my webber but, works OK. The webber I have cost alot and works better but, I leave it at home since this one connects to the trailer propane.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbyjo View Post
So you are saying that even with the low pressure coming from the tanks, I should be able to get a new BBQ and connect it without any problems and without any headaches?? If so, should I continue to use the hose from this one and get a new hose?

Thanks ---
K the pressure from the regulator at your tanks will be the same pressure at the back or side of your trailer, no matter what's using lp inside, this is what the regulator does.
If your furnace, stove, oven etc run great when everything is turned on then I'll say that you don't have a low pressure problem.
I would blow some air through the BBQ, it could have some crap in it from the factory. Or take a blow torch to the orifice and burn the crap out.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
elbyjo

Thanks -- did the check the last time I tried to use it and it was fine. The BBQ stays in the carrying case all the time when the RV is stored. Still didn't have a flame enough to cook anything, let alone maintaining the flame.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
dbrinklow

Is this the small Assie grill with the large opening in the back of the lid?

To get mine hot enough to actually cook on it I had to make a hinged cover for the rear. Now is works like a charm even in strong breezes.
2001 Honda Gold Wing (DH)
2000 Honda 650 GLX (DW)
dbrinklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
elbyjo

Don't know the make of the grill, but it doesn't have a big opening in the back. Because of the wind, I even wrapped the left side of the grill with foil to block the wind -- but that didn't do any good either. Time for a major decision. The wife may not like it -- but since I am the griller and I know she doesn't want be to be frustrated every time I cook outside -- it sounds like a new grill to me! Thanks to all for their comments and recommendations.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
campertime

What kind of grill is it?

My passport came with a Camco Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel grill with 180 sq inches of cooking space and 12000 btu's. I thought it would be a cheap peace of crap but it actually works pretty well. I was surprised to see how quickly it heated up and how even the heat was.

It could be a little bigger but works well for 2-4 burgers, steaks, etc
Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
How about looking at the BBQ you have and make sure it is not plugged up. I likely have the same one and it is not as good as my webber but, works OK. The webber I have cost alot and works better but, I leave it at home since this one connects to the trailer propane.
I would start here. My rvq is a little hot box i burn everything My wife says i am the cero cook lol
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
bsmith0404

Just a thought, I had a similar problem on my last RV, found a valve in the gas line under the camper that was only partially open and didn't allow enough gas flow to create any cooking heat. Once I opened the valve, the BBQ worked great.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
elbyjo

Thanks -- that is one thought my wife had also. The next time we bring the RV to the house before a trip I will check out that possibility by crawling under it to check all the lines. Thanks.