Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2024, 05:58 PM   #1
GlasNav

Tomorrow is finally MORryde day

Purchased the MORryde CRE3000 and heavy duty shackle / wet bolt kit last year. Then chemo got the best of me for quite a while, feeling pretty good after taking a couple months off the poison, got to resume Friday Anyway, got the trailer jacked up in the shop this afternoon, and will knock this suspension upgrade out tomorrow. I've enlisted the help of one of my neighbor's teenagers who loves to wrench on trucks to lend a hand.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:51 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Good luck !!! It's not a "mechanically challenging installation" but it is "labor intensive"... You'll likely have a "tired teenager" by the end of the day...

Make sure when you install the wet bolts that you orient the grease holes "HORIZONTALLY" in the brass bushings. That way you can feed grease into them using the zerk fitting. If you install them with the holes vertically, the trailer weight will make it almost impossible to pump grease into the zerks unless you jack the trailer to open the holes...

It's all in the instructions, but "who reads those dang things" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:24 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I was going to mention the orientation of the wet bolts but John covered that. It’s not a difficult job, I can say from experience that a good floor jack makes the job much easier.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:49 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck! I hope it goes smooth for you. I like MorRyde suspensions and they work well for me. Took off the OE Road Armor suspension from this one (a MorRyde knockoff) and had the full MorRyde 4000 suspension installed...zero complaints from me. I hope it does what you hope for and works well for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:01 PM   #5
Mike Redwine

MORryde great upgrade

Just finished doing this exact install this past Saturday. Not difficult but like others say it's time consuming. Was amazed at the wear on the original Dexter parts. Of course one thing leads to another, when looking over the tires from the drinkers side noticed a blister on one side wall so new tires are on the way.
Traveled to both coasts this past summer ( Newfoundland, Canada - Lone Pine, California ) so they got battered to say the least. Looking forward to having a smoother ride with this upgrade.

George & Jan
2019 Silverado High Country 6.2l
2016 Bullet Premier 22rb
Mike Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:23 AM   #6
GlasNav

Thanks to all with the positive replies and guidance. I did read the instructions last year, as well as watching a couple of YouTube videos. Think this will go well; when I installed the Air Lift 5000 in the other truck, I ended up having to buy a very good floor jack and stands to accomplish that task as my old stuff wasn't suited for the job. I like that we all think alike when it comes to advice, when speaking to the neighbors kid about him assisting with the job, the first thing I mentioned was that the grease passages had to be at 3 or 9 o'clock! He was a set to go that day, but it was too cold, in the 30s in the high bay which isn't heated. Today and tomorrow the forecast is calling for a high in the mid to upper 50s, comfortable for this job!
Time for coffee & breakfast and let the temps get out of the 20s before pulling wheels etc, I get my helper in the afternoon.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-13-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
GlasNav

Well, that didn't go as planned. Need to reach out to MORryde in the morning and get four of the shorter bolts, the same ones that are used to hang the equalizer are also necessary for the ends of the leaf springs. The bolts they included in the kit for the ends of the springs are too long. When the nut is snug against the shoulder of the bolt, the locking splines on the head end still have 3/16" before even making contact with the hanger.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-13-2024, 06:11 PM   #8
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Redwine View Post
Just finished doing this exact install this past Saturday. Not difficult but like others say it's time consuming. Was amazed at the wear on the original Dexter parts.
The plastic bushings on this one were almost completely used up as well. The bolts were still ok.

Little bit of horror show after being underneath, thought I had washed off all of the winter highway salt residue from our winter travels, guess not got some rust that I will need to address.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-14-2024, 09:09 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Well, that didn't go as planned. Need to reach out to MORryde in the morning and get four of the shorter bolts, the same ones that are used to hang the equalizer are also necessary for the ends of the leaf springs. The bolts they included in the kit for the ends of the springs are too long. When the nut is snug against the shoulder of the bolt, the locking splines on the head end still have 3/16" before even making contact with the hanger.
Two possibilities come to mind. First one is, did you install the thicker shackles on all locations? The MorRyde wet bolt kit should have come with 8 shackles, four for the CRE3000 bolts and 4 for the other ends of the springs. If you used the OEM shackles, then the wet bolts would be too long.

The other possibility is that you may have wound up with a "bolt kit" intended to be used with the Morryde X-Factor Crossbraces. The X-Factor spans the space between the spring perch on each side (to stiffen the mounts and keep them from bending when in tight turns with the trailer. The X-Factor mounts to the inside of the spring perch, behind the bolt hole and requires longer wet bolts to accommodate the increased thickness of the entire assembly.

If Morryde doesn't require you to return them, hang onto them. If you ever decide to install the cross braces, you'll have a spare set of the longer bolts as replacements for what they send with the cross brace kit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2024, 09:25 AM   #10
GlasNav

John: I purchased the kit from etrailer last year, and it was supposed to be an exact fit for this trailer. The new shackles are fine as they were preassembled in the kit. As far as keeping the longer bolts, I have no choice since etrailer stated that if I had this issue within the first week or so of receiving the kit, they would do a swap. However, since the kit was purchased last spring it was now my problem. So, I purchased four of the correct length bolts to get the job done. BTW, "they ain't cheap".

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-14-2024, 10:09 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

No, the sure as heck "ain't cheap" !!!!!

I lucked out a few years back and bought 3 X-Factor cross braces on an Amazon "limited time deal". I think I paid about $65 each for them. Today, they're at least double that price (on sale) and I've seen them some places for up to $330 for the "drop style" version. Those kits all have two "long length bolts" to install the cross brace to the spring hanger. I'd guess that Morryde has a "special kit" with some longer wet bolts for people who have cross braces installed....

Sort of "some need them/some don't" so Morryde markets two kits for sale. Looks like e-Trailer shipped you the wrong kit for your needs. But, as you say, too late to swap them out now.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2024, 11:19 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

Glad you were able to get the correct bolts!

For what it's worth, there "should" have been 3 shorter bolts and 4 longer bolts for each side, not 7 bolts all the same length for each side.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:58 PM   #13
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Glad you were able to get the correct bolts!

For what it's worth, there "should" have been 3 shorter bolts and 4 longer bolts for each side, not 7 bolts all the same length for each side.
The four shackles were preassembled, only 2 of the shorter bolts were in the kit for hanging the equalizer, and 4 bolts that are too long for the ends of the leaf springs. Actually end up with spare bushings since the equalizer came with the bushings installed. Note that the wet bolt and HD shackle kit came shrink wrapped on a piece of cardboard, I assume this the normal retail presentation?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-14-2024, 01:26 PM   #14
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd guess that Morryde has a "special kit" with some longer wet bolts for people who have cross braces installed....
John: You are correct, just went out to the shop and looked at the MORryde box and sure enough it says for installing the CRE3000 & CRE4000 on X-Factor Crossmember equipped installations.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-14-2024, 02:19 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
John: You are correct, just went out to the shop and looked at the MORryde box and sure enough it says for installing the CRE3000 & CRE4000 on X-Factor Crossmember equipped installations.
That's what I thought when I read your initial post about the "longer bolts".

I'm glad you got it figured out. Hopefully it won't take too long to get the correct bolts and get things reassembled. I know I don't like to leave a job half finished waiting for parts to come in while the trailer is sitting on jack stands and my tools are under the trailer because I don't want to do "double work" putting them away and in 2 or 3 days, pull them all out again ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-18-2024, 08:55 AM   #16
Bandit12

I know I'm late chiming in on this, but I found the best tool for removal and reinstalling the bolts. A ball joint C Clamp. Some auto parts stores have them on a loan a tool program. After I completed the swap on my rig, I bought one online for about $50 to keep in my toolbox.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:04 AM   #17
Patrick Ely

I just repaired and replaced the Moryde suspension on my 2010 Montana 3400rl. I purchased a 22 ton air jack. Makes jacking much easier. I found that the rubber spring between the leaf springs were cracked and weakened. I replaced both rubber springs and installed the heavy duty shackle kit with wet bolts. I drilled out the plastic bushings and used an air hammer with a mushroom head to reinstall the bushings. It was a lot of work for a 72 year old guy but I got the job done.
Patrick Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:22 AM   #18
Bandit12

When I did mine, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the old nylon bushings and twist them out. I put a little grease on the outside of the new bronze bushings and was able to tap them into place with a soft mallet. Then aligned the bolt hole on the spring and used the ball joint C clamp press to install the new wet bolts. worked like a charm.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:07 PM   #19
GlasNav

I used a Dremel with a barrel sanding head to clean out the holes in the springs after knocking out the plastic bushings with a screw driver, and the bronze bushings slid right in.

The shorter bolts arrived Friday, had 7f yesterday morning in the shop, too cold for recreational wrenching! Much improved today, and tomorrow should be good to finish this job!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-19-2024, 04:59 AM   #20
Gamma

Etrailer

If your order confirmation email shows the correct part number and they sent you an x-factor kit with a different part number I would spend the time to drop a few emails on them as this is their error and time passed is just that. It does not change the fact that it was their error. If you bought the new wet bolts from them you have a good basis for a bolt refund.
AirLift system
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote