Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Bill Ruddell

not sure where to drill

Our 2008 Laredo 315 RLS 5th wheel is equipped with a 30 amp entrance. During cold weather camping I'd like to increase power availability by running a simple 20 amp supply from shore power directly into the living area - thru the fiberglass side wall.

Question: How do you know where it's safe to drill/cut? I'm concerned about about drilling "blind" and possibly hitting a wire or structural support or frame member. Our unit is aluminum frame with fiberglass exterior.

I'm planning on installing a weather cap covered female receptacle and finish with a surface mounted duplex box inside. I'll use this for an electric ceramic space heater.

Appreciate any insight and first hand experience. Thank you in advance for your help.
Bill Ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Flyguy

If I was wanting to do this I would see if there is an access panel near the power converter (mine has one just below it) and look at the outside mouse hole from the inside. You might be able to see if there is enough room to cut a hole near the mouse hole to mount a 20a male plug. I figure that all that 30amp wire has to have a large place to lay when your not using it. If you can't find an access panel on the inside then remove the mouse hole and look or feel inside near it to check for wire and studs. JMHO
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Jim W

As Flyguy stated look for the outside access plug for your 30 amp power cord. Both of my 5er's had access covers on the iside that could be removed to gain access to the inside wiring from the plug.

On my Cougar (318SAB) I have a stationary end table in the center of the back wall. This sits between the two chairs and in front of the large picture window on the rear. There is an access cover (two screws that hold it in place) that I can remove and then can access the power cord for the camper. The inside wiring is then routed through the wall to the front of the camper where the fuse/breaker panel is. I had to access this in order to repair a broken screw on the outside weather cover.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Bob Vaughn

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
As Flyguy stated look for the outside access plug for your 30 amp power cord. Both of my 5er's had access covers on the iside that could be removed to gain access to the inside wiring from the plug.

On my Cougar (318SAB) I have a stationary end table in the center of the back wall. This sits between the two chairs and in front of the large picture window on the rear. There is an access cover (two screws that hold it in place) that I can remove and then can access the power cord for the camper. The inside wiring is then routed through the wall to the front of the camper where the fuse/breaker panel is. I had to access this in order to repair a broken screw on the outside weather cover.

Hope this helps.
Jim
What is inside that "table" ? The copper canyon has the same set up and there is a large brown panel there. Is that the circuit breakers? I looked at one yesterday but did not move the chair to see what it was?
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
mikell

I went through the floor in an area where I could see good and put a surface mount outlet with #12 wire and another twist lock plug on the underside. It sticks down about 6" and just un plug the special cord when you travel. It helps A LOT. SO a standard heavy cord with a twist lock on the female end that attaches to the pig tail that hangs under the new surface mounted outlet. Plenty of power for a 1500 watt heater and anything else you want to plug in.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
What is inside that "table" ? The copper canyon has the same set up and there is a large brown panel there. Is that the circuit breakers? I looked at one yesterday but did not move the chair to see what it was?
Nothing other then a junction point for the wiring to be attached to the female plug that is on the outside of the camper. The camper wiring is wrapped in a bundle and at least on my unit there is a strain relief built into the wiring. This is laying on the floor and then clipped to the floor. The wiring is then routed through the floor to the convert/inverter and circuit panel that is up in the front of the camper.

The space is at least 18' tall by18" wide and 24" deep more then enough room to install another 20AMP or 30 Amp plug and wiring for your heater. Pull your panel off and check.

Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
rwm1313

Adding a receptical

If inside a unexposed area ie. a cabinet or basement remove the paneling in a small area with a sheetrock knife exposing the hard foam isolation you can check for structure and wires at this point. I would put a sub panel with the appropriate size breaker for your wire size in there some where. Heaters are large amp draws and should be fused and grounded to rv chassis for safety reasons. Good luck
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Bill Ruddell

Thank you, all - added a regular 30a exterior weather cover access thru which I can pass my 20a extension cord. Once in the compartment below the bedroom I connect to a 10/2 line equipped with male plug which ends with a 20a GFI duplex outlet in the space between the stairs leading to our bedroom and the front bulkhead.
Bill
Bill Ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Bob Landry

This would be a good time to get rid of the mouse cover and replace it with a Marinco shore power inlet and a detachable power cord. That's what I did with my Jayco and I'm going to do the same thing to the Outback when I pick it up.

Marinco also makes a 20A inle that could be mounted on the oustide close to the shore power inlet. Then mount a double pole 20A CB panel(Blue Sea) in the side of the cabinet and from there to an outlet also installed in the cabinet, That way you wouldn't have to fish an extension cord, just carry a cord for the 20A and run it from the pedestal to the trailer when needed. I can't imagine needing it for any other reason than to run a ceramic heater, but I'm certainly not going to camp another winter using only propane for heat. Well, maybe to run a fan in the summer to help circulate the cool air from the AC. There are any number of ways to do it. My suggestion is just a carry-over from my work as a marine electrician.
A piece of white King Starboard or maybe even Lexan would look really nice to mount the two inlets close to each other.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote